Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
hardcore_gamer

My new project: Short maps! EDIT: It's finished!

EDIT: The sequel is in the works, see this thread: http://www.doomworld.com/vb/wads-mods/60365-my-new-project-short-maps-2-demo-available-feedback-needed/

Its been a good long while since I touched a Doom level editing program so I thought it was time to start making some maps again!

However since I am not really in the mood for creating long maps (probably because my last map was massive and took ages to finish) I decided to instead create a mini episode for Doom 2 that will contain about 8 or 9 short levels (hence the name "Short Maps") which will be short enough for it to be possible to finish each of them in about 2 min.

(Section removed since it contained outdated information)

(Demo removed since its no longer needed)

Screenshots:

Some general information:

Game: Doom 2.
Number of maps: 6.
Port: Boom (zdoom needed for those who want the story screens).
New textures: No.
New music: Yes.

Thoughts/Impressions?

EDIT: As the updated tittle suggests I need playtesters, anyone willing to sign up?

EDIT: The map list so far.

Current status: Map04 is the latest map to be finished at 8.8.2011.

Map01:-Base Entrance (finished)
Map02:-Base Intersection (finished)
Map03:-Waste Purification Center (finished)
Map04:-Computer Lab (finished)
Map05:-Tech Section (finished)
Map06:-Exiting Station. (finished).

EDIT: This is at last finished: http://www.doomworld.com/idgames/?id=16796

natt said:

the bars on the red key door don't appear to work.

Yeah, same thing happened to me. I hit the switch, but nothing happened.

I'm using prboom v2.4.7 with the Freedoom IWAD.

Cool idea, btw. I might actually try this sometime, except for vanilla Doom 1 E1-3. It's the only damn way I could ever see myself actually finishing a megawad. ;)

I'd like to see lots of short maps make a comeback.

I'm currently involved in doing something like this right now, except the maps are 5-7 minutes in length. Ten maps done. Probably will release a demo after the eleventh.

Mind your texture alignment, you're cutting into the stargr1 texture a lot. Textures like that will need more care than "auto align and forget" when you aren't using walls that are multiples of 32 in width, for example.

The texture on the side of the door in front of the red key are not aligned.
I was not able to get the red key after activating the switch.
John

Hmmmmm....strange . I don't suffer from the Red Key bug, but then again I am using Zdoom. I will fix it later this weekend (I am out of town right now).

Until then people who want to play the map will have to use a Zdoom based port.

I always thought about a project were a ton of mappers got together and made 100 short maps, making a megawad that fills in all 100 MAPXX spaces from MAP00 to MAP99.

hardcore_gamer said:

Hmmmmm....strange . I don't suffer from the Red Key bug, but then again I am using Zdoom. I will fix it later this weekend (I am out of town right now).

Until then people who want to play the map will have to use a Zdoom based port.

Never say a map is boom compatible if you haven't at least checked it with prboom at the least, or more ideally boom in dosbox. There are too many isms out there.

hardcore_gamer said:

On a side note, is the game suppose to look so colorless and dry when using Prboom?

Check your gamma and video mode.

This is something I should really do...haven't mapped for over a year, and haven't released a map since 2007. Making a collection of small maps would be a good idea.

Anyways, looking at the screenshot, looks pretty good. Keep up the good work!

UPDATE: I just finished MAP 02.

From now on I will post one new screenshot for each map as well as its map slot and name as a teaser. Also note that I will only use editor shots to avoid spoiling the locations of monsters and items.

Here is the shot from MAP02.

Map Slot: 02.
Name: Base Intersection

Screenshot:

Now to move on to making level 03!

Also, I could use some playtesters. If anyone wants to playtest then now is a good time to apply. Since the maps are short I won't send playtesters an updated version of the WAD after every map but rather after every 2 or 3 maps.

Anyone wants to apply for playtesting?

hawkwind said:

I'll playtest if you like.

Good! I will send you a download link to what I have so far (roughly 2 and a half map).

Oh! And here is the screenshot from the next map as promised:

Slot: MAP03
Name: Undecided.

Screenshot:

As usual, all feedback is appreciated.

That second to last screenshot gives me a E1 vibe. May I suggest replacing the BRONZE texture with something more fitting.

dutch devil said:

That second to last screenshot gives me a E1 vibe. May I suggest replacing the BRONZE texture with something more fitting.

Sure, what do you have in mind?

BROWNPIP might look better if you lower the ceiling so that the pipes on the texture aren't visible anymore. You could also keep this BRONZE texture and lower the ceiling with the sky texture 104 units. If you don't want to change the ceiling height, you could try BROWN1 or BROWN144. The problem I have with the BRONZE texture is that it repeats too much.

dutch devil said:

BROWNPIP might look better if you lower the ceiling so that the pipes on the texture aren't visible anymore. You could also keep this BRONZE texture and lower the ceiling with the sky texture 104 units. If you don't want to change the ceiling height, you could try BROWN1 or BROWN144. The problem I have with the BRONZE texture is that it repeats too much.

I already considered using the brown1 texture but I typically try to avoid using too many textures of the same or similar color next to each other since I think it makes the room/area look bland. I picked this texture because it fits the base theme and looks darker then the other textures. I think BRONZE and BROWN144 look out of place.

Thanks for the suggestions, though.

I am still looking for more playtesters by the way if anyone is interested.

EDIT: Map03 is now finished by the way and has a name. I will now also create a list of the maps that are finished/being made on the first post.

Mr. Chris said:

Why two minutes, what about at least five?

Its just a rough estimate. Map03 can take 4-5 min to complete.

Also, it can't be too long. The maps are suppose to be short, hence why this project is called "short maps".

Mr. Chris said:

I may contribute if I'm bored.

Not needed. This project will be 100% my creation, but thanks.

That said, I am still looking for a couple more playtesters if you are interested.

Well it does sound like it would make a nice collaborative project.