Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Tankjob

Looking beyond a sector

I'm trying to make an outside sector look aright. There are buildings of different height. I would like to see a wall across the top of another building.

Here are some images. The first shows a tower/gate to the left and inside-the-palace buildings to the right.

What I would like to see however is shown in this gimped image: The wall of the tower extends beyond the wall of the inner building.

One way of doing this would be to make the ceilings of the inner building 3D floors for the sole purpose of looking over them. Currently, the map only requires limit removing, no special features.

This is the layout in Doom Builder:

My question is: Is there a way - except 3D floors - to make that wall visible ?

You would need to rearrange your layout to have enough space in the void to fit however much of the taller wall you need.

THanks for your quick reply!

I was trying to think is this direction but how can I look through the sky onto the wall behind?

I put together a quick demo map that shows the effect: http://essel.spork-chan.net/wasd/skytutorial.wad

Increasing the height of the taller (gray) building, or putting the shorter tan walls' doorways nearer to the tall building, will show the limitations of the effect.

Also, I recommend applying the "Secret" line flag to make the 2-sided line walls look solid in the automap, and applying the "Hidden" line flag to make the sky-void lines not appear in the automap at all.

esselfortium said:

I put together a quick demo map that shows the effect: http://essel.spork-chan.net/wasd/skytutorial.wad

Pretty lame, dude! There is way too low ammo and the exit is unreachable!!!11 :D

But seriously, thanks a lot for that tutorial!!

I tried to apply the technique to my map. I settled for a compromise where the stretched wall isn't as long as I wanted it to be. OTOH, the room inside the right building still looks OK - this is where I had to take the raised viewing sector from.

I found out the slim zero height sector is important to avoid HOM on the upper texture.

I also put some lighting into the map as you even did in that tiny tut map. I gives so much more depth to the scene.

P.S. And thanks for the hints to tweak the automap view!