Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
el zee

ROTT TC - Return of the Triad - Updated (1.6)

The full version of the Return of the Triad TC, has been released. :D

Get it at ROTT Headquarters.

Screenies

Updated Version [1.6]

Changes:

Fixed save bug!
Minor level tweaks
Added dialogue after the boss level.

Get it here

Make your own maps for the TC, see here for details: elzee.co.nz

Holy shit, is this done already? Definitely downloading this when I get back to Ohio!

This is the full and finished product and not just another demo, right? If so, fucking awesome. :D

Lizardcommando said:

Get the latest SVN.

http://svn.drdteam.org/zdoom/

God, I hate SVN stuff so much (when you have to get one of those special SVN downloader things). Just give me a frickin' ZIP download. I don't mind updating manually!

That said, YES, I can't believe it's finished! :)

**Waits patiently for Doombuilder configs** :D

Megamur said:

God, I hate SVN stuff so much (when you have to get one of those special SVN downloader things). Just give me a frickin' ZIP download. I don't mind updating manually!

Uh? There's no "special SVN downloader thing". It's just a compressed archive. Sure, it's 7-zip rather than PKZIP, but it's otherwise exactly the same thing. It's like a RAR file, except it compresses better and is a free format supported by more extractors.

Gez said:

Uh? There's no "special SVN downloader thing". It's just a compressed archive. Sure, it's 7-zip rather than PKZIP, but it's otherwise exactly the same thing. It's like a RAR file, except it compresses better and is a free format supported by more extractors.

What Gez said.

http://www.7-zip.org/

7zip is awesome. I haven't used any other archive extractor since switching to 7zip.

Also, totally have to try out Return of the Triad later. Been looking forward to this for a long time. :D

DoomHero85 said:

Had a problem loading a savegame:

18 map sections found

Execution could not continue: Unknown object code (56) in archive.

Yeah, I had this problem too, some savegames work fine others you get an error - I can't figure it out. :/

Also, it should work with GZdoom, although, I haven't tested it thoroughly.

OH MY GOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I love ROTT! I can't believe someone made a ROTT TC for DOOM! Seriously, I can't wait to play this. Thank you so much.

This is the greatest thing ever.

Although occasionally I'll get several "ludicrous gibs" messages in a row :P

Gez said:

In this case. I'm specifically griping over stuff like some of the high-res texture packs for Duke Nukem 3D, which require stuff like TortoiseSVN to be installed in order to download them, which I think is annoying.

SVN is a version control thing. It's used by developers to keep track of who changed what and to allow to revert changes. If you wanted to contribute code to ZDoom (or most other source ports, for that matter) you'd have to install the SVN software so that you can keep the source code on your computer up-to-date and create patches and stuff.

Normally, end-users are supposed to be given packaged, compiled builds. Not to use the SVN repository directly. If the DN3DHRP doesn't offer them, then they're being lazy about it. Especially given that if it's just a collection of file that should be given (instead of having first to compile them like with source code) then the function to automatically create an archive of the latest revision is built-in the SVN software (see for example here, the "latest SVN source" download link is generated automatically).

Megamur said:

In this case. I'm specifically griping over stuff like some of the high-res texture packs for Duke Nukem 3D, which require stuff like TortoiseSVN to be installed in order to download them, which I think is annoying.

Bandwidth isn't free.

Damn, wanted to play this but the svn sources I compiled seem to
be segfaulting during play (normal Doom 2 seems fine, though). I'll
try again with a new build in a while.

I crashed after a while and could not load my saved game without crashing a again.

It looks like there is still some work to be done. That said, what I saw of this thing while it still worked looked really sweet!

tempun said:

Bandwidth isn't free.

And it costs a lot less bandwidth to download a single zip than to download an entire repository, including unused stuff and metadata files.

Checkout the ZDoom repository in a new folder, note the total size of the data transferred and measure how long it takes. Then download a compiled SVN build of ZDoom. Compare and contrast.

I've done quite a few bugfixes, I'll release an update soon...

There's one major bug, and that is savegames, it appears to be to do with the godmode powerup.

DoomHero85 said:

Had a problem loading a savegame:

18 map sections found

Execution could not continue: Unknown object code (56) in archive.

I think this happens when corpses have ids, if I'm not correct. BrutalDoom had this issue but it was fixed.

Gez said:

And it costs a lot less bandwidth to download a single zip than to download an entire repository, including unused stuff and metadata files.

Checkout the ZDoom repository in a new folder, note the total size of the data transferred and measure how long it takes. Then download a compiled SVN build of ZDoom. Compare and contrast.

Source code is compressible. PNG/JPEG files are not (w/o re-encoding). Unused stuff should be deleted or moved to a separate directory. SVN allows for a very quick updates - typically just a few textures changed, no need to re-download hunderds of MBs.

There's a difference between "curious guy who'll just download it once and won't ever bother updating" and "follower of the project who constantly keeps up to date". For the former, you'll save more bandwidth with an archive.

The people who'll complain about "special SVN downloaders" are more likely to belong in the first category than in the second.

Damn, I loved this. You did a great job! My favorite level is "Another 'Mist'ake"; I love how well interconnected it is. I also liked how you placed the underground level just before the (outdoors) boss level; it made for a nice change of pace before the final battle.

I played this on GZDoom r1218, skill level 3.

Some (OK, a lot of) specific bugs/nitpicks/suggestions/comments/questions, many of which are totally unimportant but which I nevertheless felt compelled to mention:

-There were some spelling mistakes in the character select menu and in the messages of the boss battle of "On the H.U.N.T.": Taradino Cassat (it's Cassatt), Thi Barett (it's Barrett), Loreli Ni (it's Lorelei), Ian Paul Freely (it's Freeley).
-In the opening text of the demo episode it should read "San Nicolas", not "San Nicholas".
-The enemies struck me as less accurate this time, which is good, because I felt they were a little too deadly in the demo.
-This may just be GZDoom, but I had Smart Autoaim on and the vertical aim didn't work at all. Since I wanted to play with the keyboard (no free look), it made things a little difficult :S

-Floating monk meal in "The Hidden Base":

-Shouldn't the enemies be able to open doors?

-And die in lava? A lightning guard fell into the lava in "Into the Fortress" and nothing happened. It was in this room:

-Do the lightning guards steal the player's missile weapons? I understand that may be a difficult thing to implement.
-Sometimes two missiles were required to make a low health enemy blow up. I'm not sure why.
-The firebomb explosions are a little too high in the air, and it's too hard for the player to be hit by them. In the original game the firebomb felt much more dangerous to use, because it was so easy to get hurt by it.
-The victory message of the demo episode reads: "...a fragment of it was taken...". Shouldn't that be: "...a fragment of it IS taken..."?
-For some reason I lost the dual pistols between levels. It's not like I missed them too much, but still, that shouldn't happen.

-In "Into the Fortress", these ceilings were a bit too low for the player to maneuver comfortably:

-I went into God Mode too many times in "The HUNT Begins" and "Wall to Wall", thanks to the ankh symbols. I guess those levels just have more than the others. Perhaps you could remove some, or change the number of symbols required to reward the player, or just change the reward to something less generous (just for those two levels).
-In the same pair of levels, I felt the pushwalls were a bit too slow compared to the original game.

-In "The HUNT Begins", this priest porridge started levitating after I shot the barrels:

-It may just be my computer, but I got this visual glitch in "The HUNT Begins":

-In "Wall to Wall", there was no TGAD in the big room that leads to the iron key. And there were no TGADs in the second episode at all. Did you have trouble getting them to work?
-Shame that the EGADs are still kind of clumsy. I guess that's why there's so few of them in the second episode.

-There is a gap in a GAD bridge in "The Citadel":

-I could pick a Dark Staff even though I already had one with full ammo. Happened to me at the end of "Catacomb Abyss" (with the three dark Deathfire Monks) and in the Oscuro key room in "On the
H.U.N.T." The only other weapons that appear to have this problem are the pistol and the MP40.
-OK, this is important. In "Catacomb Abyss", the iron door can be opened without the key.
-Wouldn't it be better if the bosses in "On the H.U.N.T" were named something like "Taradino Cassatt Dark Clone" instead of "Taradino Cassatt BOT"?
-This is probably nitpicking (if it is, just ignore it), but I felt there could have been a couple more missile weapons in the later half of the second episode (not counting the boss level).
-In "Catacomb Abyss", in the pitch black room with the Excalibat in the distance, how is one meant to make the path light up, exactly? I just tapped the space key around the edges of each "tile",
but I'm not sure that's what made it happen.
-Adrenaline, not Adreneline Bonus.
-In the credits, the Death and Deathfire Monks don't die with the explosions.

Phew, I guess that's all. Anyway, thanks for making this. I had a blast playing it, and would love to map for it!