Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DuckReconMajor

Do you use the Pause key?

I read 40oz post in the other thread and decided to make a thread. I use the Pause key all the time. I don't like to splatter the menu across the screen when I'm not going to use it, and you can accidentally select an option you didn't mean to. Not to mention there's a button on my keyboard that says 'Pause', why wouldn't I use it?

Also, did you know you can enter cheat codes while the game is paused? I learned that when I looked up the Chex Quest cheat codes and they gave that tip. It's really nice for no-clip to keep from moving around everywhere and getting stuck in a wall.

fn+pgup to pause on my notebook, so... only to pause demo playback.

I used to use the Pause key all the time when I first started playing. I eventually figured out that you could enter cheat codes while the game was paused, so since I sucked, that was important.

I don't really pause the game much when I play now though, and when I do, I tend to use Escape for whatever reason. When running with ZDoom, I sometimes treat the tilde key as a pause button instead. On that note, I actually have my Alt key bound to "freeze", and I find myself using that as a pause button a lot of the time, especially if I'm trying to set up screenshots or something like that.

I've only used it some times in Heretic and Hexen when I wanted to quickly change what inventory item was selected. And only with the vanilla exes, long ago. With ZDoom I can remap the prev_item and next_item to right and left tilts of my mouse wheel so changing item selection no longer requires moving my fingers away from the movement keys.

Otherwise, the Escape key is easier to hit.

I use the pause button all the time. For some reason I find it more convenient to press the Pause button than Escape. As far as entering the cheat codes go, I think I've heard that somewhere before, but I've never done it personally.

Yep. I have it mapped to my joypad Start button and the main menu mapped to my Back button for that added old school feel - I was first exposed to Doom on the Amiga using a CD32 controller. :)

I use PAUSE a lot, but sadly, not everything supports it, so I have to use P or worse, the main menu. Newer games are guilty for not having a Pause mode. It gets worse when the main menu plays lots of (loud) music passively, wasting your headphones.

Rarely. I tend to use ESC to pause the game and since I play GZDoom a lot, I use '~' to 'pause' and enter cheats. I only ever use Pause when I gotta stop the music fast so I can hear something.

Only to screenshot things that GZDoom's freeze command can't keep still(lighting, geometry, and such), otherwise I just bring down the console to pause.

Since I mostly use ZDoom, I pause the game with the console if I want to keep the music running, and with Pause if I don't.

On and off I use it - especially if a sudden interruption takes place while fondling with Doom... shitblast or such...

I use it sometimes when I watch demos. But when I record demos, I use ESC because Doom records the pauses too and they are annoying for the viewer.

You can pause the demos in ports? Doesn't that interfere with demoplayer's decisions, such as pausing the game itself?

printz said:

You can pause the demos in ports? Doesn't that interfere with demoplayer's decisions, such as pausing the game itself?

Nope, not as long as the port is coded properly. Vanilla Doom may have had problems with pausing demos, but I know for sure that BOOM descendent ports do not.

I tend to use Esc a lot of the time since it's easier to hit, but lately, I've been trying to use Pause for Chocolate Doom. I have the mouse sensitivity set way up in Chocolate-Setup, so if I accidentally click Options on the Esc menu, the game will crash with a Bad V_Draw Patch error since it can't correctly display the mouse sensitivity scaler graphics.

Pausing while recording a demo allows the demo to record the pause. Hitting ESC(prboom+) or console(Eternity) completely pauses demo recording.

So when I record I usually do both. Hit pause and then console/esc. Pausing turns off the music and lets me know while watching demo exactly where I paused. Esc/console to drastically shorten the demo.

Escape feels more normal, and pretty much every game in existence uses it unlike the pause/break key, so no.

These days it's more convenient to pause the game by pulling down ZDoom's console - it's nearer to my WASD keys.

Technician said:

What the fuck is pause? Is esc too good for you people?

I use ESC. I dont think I ever have used pause.

ESC. Does the same thing as Pause and how would you accidentally select an option you didn't want? I don't start mashing Enter after I pause.

Krispavera said:

ESC. Does the same thing as Pause and how would you accidentally select an option you didn't want? I don't start mashing Enter after I pause.

Because sometimes I play in a window. If I click on another window, then click back to the Chocolate Doom window, sometimes it registers that mouse click in the game itself, and if the cursor was sitting next to Options at the time, bam, game over.

Mithran Denizen said:

That's what alt-tab is for.

Well, why not just press Pause and not have to worry about it! :)

Frequently, unless I'm using some half-baked notebook keyboard. Apart from cheat codes (whatever they are :-)), Legacy lets the player look around while paused and change the direction they're facing when play is resumed.

All the time. I'm annoyed when modern games don't use the Pause key -- you can usually reassign the "Pause" function (almost always defaulted to nothing. "Esc is pause!" is a bad excuse), though some don't have a pause function _at all_ and forces you to use Esc.

Also heh, I think Quake also let you change directions when paused.

the pause key is in such an obscure place on the keyboard, Esc is isolated all by itself in the corner so it's definitely easier to press.