Find results that contain...
Find results in...
johnfulgor

Doom Builder UDMF script problem

Hello,

Doom Builder 2.1.0.1356
ZDoom 2.5.0
UDMF

I'm creating a UDMF map with Doom Builder II. Everything is fine save the scripts, which are not compiled. When I execute a script in the game nothing happens. The compile button in the Script Window does not work: whatever I write in the window is accepted. Everything works with other map formats (Doom, GZDoom, others ZDoom formats, etc).
What can I do?
John

What do you mean the compile button doesn't work? Does it give you an error?

It might be helpful if you post the scripts you're trying to use here, as you haven't given much troubleshooting information.

Mithran Denizen said:

What do you mean the compile button doesn't work? Does it give you an error?

It might be helpful if you post the scripts you're trying to use here, as you haven't given much troubleshooting information.

It is as if the compiler is not working. Even if I compile a script with errors no error message is given. It is as if the compiler is not found.
No BEHAVIOUR lump is present in the wad file.

If Doom Builder can't find the compiler (acc.exe), it should toss up a warning when you try to compile the scripts, something like "Unable to initialize compiler".

Are you accidentally putting the scripts into a DIALOGUE lump? When you open the Script Editor, you might notice two tabs open; one called "DIALOGUE" and the other called "SCRIPTS". You have to switch over to the "SCRIPTS" tab and enter your ACS stuff into there.

I'm not sure when or why Doom Builder started adding a DIALOGUE lump to every UDMF map, or why it supercedes SCRIPTS as the default text-lump when you open the script editor, but I guess it's not that big a deal.

Mithran Denizen said:

I'm not sure when or why Doom Builder started adding a DIALOGUE lump to every UDMF map

Because that's where you put Strife-style conversation scripts.

Mithran Denizen said:

or why it supercedes SCRIPTS as the default text-lump when you open the script editor

Because 'D' comes before 'S' in the lexicographical order.

I know what DIALOGUE is for, and I figured they were just alphabetically ordered, but it still surprised me somewhat when I updated my Doom Builder installation a couple months ago.

Strife-style conversations aren't something I use very often, so it kind of kills my scripting workflow to have to switch tabs every time I want to edit the ACS, instead of just tapping F10. Not badly enough that I've ever bothered to do anything about it, though.

Yeah. It'd probably be better to default to the ACS tab since it's going to be used way more often than the other; but when you develop with a language (and libraries) sufficiently advanced to do most of the groundwork for you, you get stuff like alphabetical ordering unless you explicitly code it otherwise.

The best solution IMO would be for DB2 to write in the map's metadata file (those little .dbs files it creates) the identifier for the last script lump accessed; and use it to select the default tab.

I was thinking the same about possibly storing the last used lump in the .dbs, actually. I'd considered attempting to code it in myself, but I'm really only a hobbyist programmer and I'm not that well versed in .NET or the Doom Builder codebase either, so I guess laziness got the better of me.