Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Nomad

Dynamic Lights: Something I should know how to do, but don't.

Maybe I'm just retarded, but I can't seem to figure out how to place dynamic lights in this map I'm working on. I'm using ZDoom (Doom in Hexen) format, and in my thing list I have nothing related to dynamic lights available. I have also tried ZDoom (Doom in UDMF) format as well, and it doesn't seem to be available. I've also tried using Thing Type# 9800 manually and still no dice. Am I supposed to have a GZdoom specific game config in my DB game configuration list that allows this, or what? I updated both GZDoom and Doom Builder (2) to see if that helped, and nope.

Any help?

Sweet, that worked. However, now when I try to place a dynamic light, I get nothing when I go in to test. Tried cranking up the intensity and playing with the coloring, and doesn't seem to want to work. This is troubling. :(

You are using the OpenGL renderer, right?

Also, make sure you haven't disabled dynamic lights in the OpenGL settings in GZDoom.

Check, and check. Now that I think of it, though, I'm not sure if I've ever seen any dynamic lights work in gzdoom. Know of a wad handy I could test with?

If you load the lights.pk3 that comes with GZDoom (and you have the appropriate settings enabled), you can see dynamic lights for the standard Doom actors, like imp fireballs and candelabras. You might want to try that.

I just autoload lights.pk3 (and brightmaps.pk3) via the .ini file, for the few times I ever use GZDoom.

Ah ha. Loading that pk3 doesn't work. Seems like this is something wrong with my GZDoom. Odd, though, since I just grabbed the newest one.

Dynamic lights work in my Skulltag, so I don't think it's a vidya card error. I'll try erasing my GZDoom directory and refreshing the "install".

[edit]Ayup, some mystery variable or setting was keeping me from using dynamic lights. That did the trick. Now to see if I can figure out how to use the damn things effectively.