Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Jimmy

Jimmy's Jukebox!

Latest version: http://jimmy.phenomer.net/wad-files/j-jukebox-v7.zip

Requires the latest subversion of ZDoom.
http://svn.drdteam.org/

If you want to add some extra randomness to your Dooming experience, then why not give this a spin.

It allows you to generate a playlist of music, out of 773 tracks from various games and megawads (including all of my own and Forty-Two's original material), and will then play it throughout the entirety of any megawad desired. Plays well with classic, modern, or Oblige-generated megawads.

Be sure to bind your keys. Defaults are provided.

Run-down:

• A new map (MAP00) is included which is used to generate the music selection.
  • There are 773 MIDI tracks available between 22 collections, these are: Ultimate Doom, Doom 2, TNT, Heretic, Hexen, Chex Quest 3, Memento Mori 1 & 2, Requiem, Strain, Hell to Pay/Perdition's Gate, Icarus, Hell Revealed II, Eternal Doom III, 2002: A Doom Odyssey, Whispers of Satan, Duke Nukem 3D, Descent 1 & 2, Hexen II (plus Portal of Praevus), Rise of the Triad, and the original work of Jimmy and Forty-Two.
  • Add the tracks from any given collection by pressing "use" against the corresponding title picture in MAP00. Once you're happy with your selection, hit the "Generate" switch to randomly create the playlist.
  • Once the playlist has been created, hit the exit switch to begin your playthrough. Or, hit the "Generate" switch again to clear the playlist, and again to regenerate it, if you weren't happy with it.
  • Also included in MAP00 is an actual jukebox, at which all tracks can be played individually.
Extra Features:
  • "Shuffle" is optional. It's on by default to allow for maximum randomization, but selecting just one soundtrack and turning off shuffle will put the tracks in the correct order.
  • "No repeats" is also an option, which is also on by default and stops repeats from ever occurring in the playlist.
  • The playlist "format" determines whether or not the tracks are grouped episodically. An episodic playlist should be used for Ultimate Doom, and a singular playlist for Doom 2.
  • You can adjust the length of the playlist, and also the number of 9-level episodes to generate.
  • The playlist can be brought up in-game. From here you can scroll through the generated tracks, change which track to play for each individual level, swap tracks, reorganize the playlist, and even load playlists saved to your ZDoom directory.
  • ZDoom's recently-added MENUDEF feature allows for many of these actions to be performed from a new menu. Bind a key to call it up.
Feedback will be very appreciated - I've worked long and hard at this, perfecting and cleaning it for what seems like all my life but is in fact only a few months. It's been tricky but worth it. :)

Hope you enjoy using it!

Yes, it's a very original idea. You might add MIDI recreates of original band's music, like in Clau1024 WADs.

This is a great wad, and has many other uses. Is it possible to have the music play randomly by itself? It could make Total Conversions interesting to play. (just throwing it out there, a Star Fox mod).

So to put it into perspective, you start the wad and it goes straight to the level with random music.

So you're proposing a way of skipping MAP00? Might be doable. But how would the tracks be selected, other than completely random?

If you want a completely random selection of tracks, hit the "Select All" button on your right when you load up MAP00, and the "Generate" and "Exit" switches immediately thereafter.

Pretty cool mod. I'm actually a bit surprised nothing has been done like this before (To my knowledge). So, good job!

Why is Lee Jackson credited for all the ROTT music? Didn't Bobby Prince do a few tracks for it?

Processingcontrol said:

Why is Lee Jackson credited for all the ROTT music? Didn't Bobby Prince do a few tracks for it?

I wasn't aware that he did. I knew the two collaborated on DN3D but not ROTT.

Though looking more closely at the tracks themselves and the way they are written, I think you're right. "Excalibur" especially sounds very BP-ish. o.O

Huh. Fancy that.

On closer inspection of the soundtrack, it looks like the only ones Lee Jackson didn't attach his name onto via MIDI markers are Excalibur, Game Over, Rise and Work Day. Can anyone confirm this?

It is already compatible with Ultimate Doom, if that's what you mean.

Yeah.

The playlist "format" determines whether or not the tracks are grouped episodically. An episodic playlist should be used for Ultimate Doom, and a singular playlist for Doom 2.

:P