Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
888mikem888

Doom Builder 2 problems

Hi, back again with more noob questions.

I downloaded some files from Realm 667 and I merged all of them in my Doom 2 wad. I loaded the newley merged wad with doom builder 2 but when I go into DECORATE only some of them show up. I don't understand why it's doing this, as far as I know there should be no reason. I merged them with my doom 2 wad at the same time and only a few show up in Doom Builder 2. Any help would be appreciated

Ok I got that figured out thank you :) But now I have another problem. I have Doom Builder running on Zdoom in hexan format and now I can't even make a normal door. For some reason the options are gone :(

The Hexen map format uses more complex actions than Doom format does. You have to set the various arguments and the activation method manually on the linedef.

Try reading through these articles for info on how the Hexen door specials work.

I believe "Door Raise" with a speed of "16", and a closing delay of "150" works as an analogue to Doom's basic door, so you might want to start with that. Don't forget to flag it as a "Repeatable Action" and to set the activation trigger to what you want (probably "Player press use", or whatever Doom Builder calls it).

Well seeing as this thread is here and appropriately titled..

Doombuilder 2 is locking up my entire PC quite regularly all of the sudden. Only under visual mode and when I'm using the mouse to drag-align textures. It's probably something specific to my lousy, lousy computer, but any ideas would help.

I too used to have problems with DB2 quitting on me after a few minutes with a map
full of slope things. However, in my case, it threw a 'System.OutOfMemoryException'
instead of just locking up the PC without an error message.
This was resolved by Boris.
http://www.doombuilder.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=504

While Skillsaw did not mention any cause of his problem, he did apply the fix given
by Boris and seems to have no further problems.
http://www.doombuilder.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=516

Oh cool, I'll have to try that. It is on one specific map with heavy use of slopes, 3d floors ect. I went to town on another map trying to provoke a crash to no avail.

Yeah, still doing it. I don't see a dramatic increase in memory usage in the task manager by Doombuilder at any point.. Goodbye video card / laptop.

**Edit**

Things have taken a turn for the strange. Under normal GZdoom_DoomHexen config, in 3d mode textures will appear aligned as I make proper adjustments but in game will still be misaligned. Switching between Standard 3d View and GZdoom View doesn't change this. In Skulltag_DoomHexen config, the alignments appear how they would in game, misaligned. Crashes under both standard and GZDoom view in both configs though.

Sorry, but since this thread is already here, I have more problems now.

Script error, "doom2.wad:DECORATE" line 8173:
Expected '{', got 'Fallen'.

Does any one know what this means?

It means your DECORATE lump is borked at (or before) line 8173. I'm guessing you forgot to put an opening curly bracket after your actor definition, or you put a closing bracket somewhere inappropriate, but it's tough to say without seeing the code.

Check the wiki page that explains it here for an example of the formatting that you need to use.

Also, I hope the "doom2.wad" that contains the DECORATE isn't the Doom 2 IWAD, as you really shouldn't be modifying that, especially if you don't know what you're doing. If it is, I'd recommend grabbing a fresh doom2.wad from your CD or wherever else you originally got it from.

Oh, I didn't mod the main original doom2.wad decorate. I created a new one for that trick to have more monsters in doom builder 2. But I think I need to replace it yea.

Even so, that's not really a great way to go about adding the custom monsters. If you want them to always be available in Doom Builder (but don't want to merge them into your map wads right away), you should add them in as a seperate resource wad, either in the game configuration screen (hotkey F6), or via the map options screen (hotkey F2).

Ok, I did that. I got a fresh doom2.wad and in doom bulder 2 instead of merging it I added all the extra monsters in the resources, but now only some of them show up. Now what?

Ed said:

Yeah, still doing it. I don't see a dramatic increase in memory usage in the task manager by Doombuilder at any point.. Goodbye video card / laptop.

**Edit**

Things have taken a turn for the strange. Under normal GZdoom_DoomHexen config, in 3d mode textures will appear aligned as I make proper adjustments but in game will still be misaligned. Switching between Standard 3d View and GZdoom View doesn't change this. In Skulltag_DoomHexen config, the alignments appear how they would in game, misaligned. Crashes under both standard and GZDoom view in both configs though.

Concerning those crashes, what are your computer's specs. For DB2 to work properly, it must be able to run at least Pixel Shader model 2.0.

Concerning the alignment proplems, I and Morpheus (see threads at the DB2 forum) ran into the same problem. Here is Codeimp's response.
Well, mapping for GZDoom in Hexen format I use r1416, and the alignment of textures works correctly. For mapping in GZDoom UDMF format, I use r1429 as suggested.

I'll try switching the map over to UDMF and see how that pans out. It seems to be primarily a hardware issue. I blasted out my laptop with canned air and bought a cooling pad this morning. I haven't had any of those problems since.. I've had a lot of cooling issues as of late, with a lot of adverse affects.

888mikem888 said:

Ok, I did that. I got a fresh doom2.wad and in doom bulder 2 instead of merging it I added all the extra monsters in the resources, but now only some of them show up. Now what?

Open the wad(s) containing the missing monsters in SLADE3 or similar, peek into the DECORATE lump(s) and check to make sure that every monster's actor definition (but not the attack actors like fireballs, or whatever else) has a unique DoomEd number at the end of the first line, as described here.

If any of the monsters are missing DoomEdNums, assign them each one yourself, but make sure the numbers you assign don't conflict with any of the other monsters' numbers, or any of the ones already in use in ZDoom.

The 300-800 range should be completely free, so you can pick between there if you want to keep it simple. Just remember that each number should be unique.

Also make sure none of the monster definitions contain a "Game Heretic", "Game Hexen", or "Game Strife" line, as this will specify that the actor's DoomEd number is for a game other than Doom, and it won't show up in the map editor (or in-game). If this is the case, you can add a "Game Doom" right beside the other line, or even better, just delete the first "Game xxxxxx" line altogether.