Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Alphawolf

why does the doom logo have two pyramids?

You can clearly see the yellow metal plates are cut/broken off to reveal silver circuitry.

I don't think pyramids were intentional in it's design.

Where you see pyramids I see symbolic shark teeth.

Another question - why does the logo have such a strong Mesoamerican influence?

I've mentioned this before, years ago, but the crust punk band Doom, who has been around since the mid 80s, uses a similar logo.

Because...The DOOM GUY is Serious Sam's big brother. He helped Sam to
survive his first Adventure in Egypt and a foto of the pyramids was taken and used as the background for the logo. It's a shame that croteam did not mention this.

You know, I never knew Sandy's real first name until I got curious about the "CP" autograph on the box art...

Oh, and what PRIMEVAL said.

DoomGater said:

Because...The DOOM GUY is Serious Sam's big brother. He helped Sam to
survive his first Adventure in Egypt and a foto of the pyramids was taken and used as the background for the logo. It's a shame that croteam did not mention this.

ROFL!

Yes. Then again you will bust your chances if you happen to read Nexus...

The Doom logo resembles the Metallica logo during their Load and ReLoad days.

Maes said:

Yes. Then again you will bust your chances if you happen to read Nexus...

What? Yes! I'm not ZOG-manipulated! Whatever the hell that is.

printz said:

The Doom logo resembles the Metallica logo during their Load and ReLoad days.

Well, I doubt that's where the inspiration came from because load was released a few years after Doom. (Edit: Correction, it was released a year after Doom) *sigh* I remember those days... when I realized that Metallica was dead to me.

NiuHaka said:

...*sigh* I remember those days... when I realized that Metallica was dead to me.

QFT...

I just see the Doom logo as a contrast of Circuitry and Rocks with Heiroglyphs symbolising the Fleshy Demons from their world invading the red rock of Mars (Well, the Moons anyways) and finding the Tech Bases all around, even having some monsters beocming infused with the tech.

Who cares, it's one of the best looking video game logos ever made. Simple, stylish, visually interesting, not boring, has contrasts and depth... Sadly the Doom 3 logo isn't even nearly as good since it lacks the stark contrast of blue circuits and copper everything else, it doesn't have as much depth, and it looks like it's been through a hundred blur filters (the "granularity" of the original makes it stand out much better).

@Clonehunter: There's no rocks or hieroglyphs in the logo, it's obviously metal plating. The funny thing is why is the circuitry above the plating and not underneath it (the circuits cast a shadow on the plates so they're on top)?

I think there are many people who took their poetry/literature classes way too seriously. An author/artist isn't always trying to have a deeper meaning, it just "looked/sounded cool" so to speak.

Jodwin said:

@Clonehunter: There's no rocks or hieroglyphs in the logo, it's obviously metal plating. The funny thing is why is the circuitry above the plating and not underneath it (the circuits cast a shadow on the plates so they're on top)?

The Yellow "Panels" Nevr looked like Panels to me. THey always looked like rock walls with pictures. Besides it goes with the whole -CYber-Rock-Flesh things Doom kinda has going. Besides, seeing the whole logo as all tech or metal stuff just makes it boring.

Jodwin's "metal plating" look more like a mosaic of chipped and cracked ceramic tiles to me.

id Software are Illuminati slaves, duh.

I've always seen the bottom section as rock, which symbolizes the gothic and techy contrasts between many of the levels.

That's some strange rock right there, consider how square, flat and clean it is.