Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Alphawolf

why does the doom logo have two pyramids?

Jodwin said:
That's some strange rock right there, consider how square, flat and clean it is.

What with all the animated corpses moving around the Martian moons instead of laying in a cemetery, UAC's stonemasons were able to use rocks reserved for making headstones with into a nifty Doom logo instead.

Yeah, I don't think it's rock representing Gothic or lunar elements in the game.

Look at the CEMENTx textures in TEXTURE2, they have somewhat similar plates over circuits. It the artwork by Punchatz, there are cracks in the material so it transfers into the game well as what those textures end up representing by name, some form of cement panels for walls with heavy tech circuits behind them.

Jodwin said:
The funny thing is why is the circuitry above the plating and not underneath it (the circuits cast a shadow on the plates so they're on top)?

I see a slight shadow from the material we're discussing over the circuits, not the other way around. It may be clearest to the right.

Vorpal said:
I think there are many people who took their poetry/literature classes way too seriously. An author/artist isn't always trying to have a deeper meaning, it just "looked/sounded cool" so to speak.

You mean they took a game too seriously, because if it were art bigtime there would indeed probably be various levels of meaning attached to the work. Still, these threads are cool even if they often start awkwardly. I would have said "you're right" to what Jodwin said but the thread made me make a slight adjustment to my previous and assumed impression after investigating the game content a bit.

Pyramids, oh my god! Doom must really have some developers in Egypt, indeed.

I've already wondered what the hell is inside, but never had the chance to also look into it thoroughly... so, let's see...

A sinister golden skull face... are we going to die?!

Cell said:
A sinister golden skull face... are we going to die?!

Holy pareidolia, Batman! We could have been killed!
Or even worse, Robin!

Clonehunter said:
Never noticed the gibbing shotgun guy before...

You mean on the right, getting smooshed by the demon? I suppose I never looked closely enough to see that it is, in fact, a shotgun guy...

Cell said:
[5th zoom in image]

I traced that when to draw what I saw in it in mspaint and came out with this monstrosity. I'm not sure, but I think it's a cat. :P

I'm not sure why I'm posting it, I just thought it looked sorta funny.

Jodwin said:

http://www.akinomori.com/stuff/rock.png
That's some strange rock right there, consider how square, flat and clean it is.

Notice those parallel lines behind the damaged "plates"? That's tile grout. The raised beading might be metal and to my eye gives the logo something of a "stained glass window" style.

I, too, have always thought they were stones. But now i look closer and realise they do look more like metal panels. In any case, i like doom3's logo better :)

Definitely decorative masonry on top of metal and circuitry. As for the Doom logo pyramid conspiracy, I think that was just accidental.

Sodaholic said:

I traced that when to draw what I saw in it in mspaint and came out with this monstrosity. I'm not sure, but I think it's a cat. :P

http://i.imgur.com/uDlHX.png

I'm not sure why I'm posting it, I just thought it looked sorta funny.

No, the resemblance is uncanny.

Here's the true mastermind behind Doom's monster invasion:

The infamous "stubby bullfrog micro demon", cleverly hidden in the titlepic in plain sight. Worse still, it really DOES give an eerie meaning to the infamous catchphrase "No John, you ARE the demons".

Well, Peter Chimaera was a prophetic visionary genius. His works transcend the realm of merely engaging philosophical literature into something astonishingly sublime that no interpretation can begin to do justice.

Clonehunter said:

Never noticed the gibbing shotgun guy before...

Holy! And I still would have never noticed if you hadn't just said something about it. What the!?

Wait guyz

I tuk a picochore on holyday in eejipt and it are troo:

Behold, the source!

Cool pic, Six! And cool broken Engrish :D

NiuHaka said:

Holy! And I still would have never noticed if you hadn't just said something about it. What the!?

ALso note how it's dropping a marien rifle too rather than a shotgun.

Clonehunter said:

ALso note how it's dropping a marien rifle too rather than a shotgun.

Which means it's definitely a marien and not a bullfrog.

GreyGhost said:

Which means it's definitely a marien and not a bullfrog.

No he's talking about the thing to the right of the image being eaten by the demon being a gibbing shotgun guy.

Sorry - I was looking at the wrong one. The shotgun's closer to horizontal when dropped, so that's either a marine or trooper being gibbed.

EDIT - Here we go, I've superimposed PLAYO0, POSSM0 and SPOSM0 on the titlepic. It's the trooper!

(620x200 - 14k)

Clonehunter said:

So your saying its a gibbing Zombieman? NOt a Shotgunner?

Yep - it's the zombieman. Here's another side-by-side shot where I put a bit more effort into getting the sprites lined up, if this isn't proof enough I'll have no choice but to kill you. :)

(480x600 - 29k)

Nope - that's the ruddy demon, a close relative of the pinky which is often mistaken for the rosso corsa or the far more common candy apple red demon.

Knight Templars, with shotguns, cruising around Mt. Erebus on their harleys... They're in there, somewhere...

OH NOES! The Doom logo is Giza pyramids Khufu and Khafre! THE END IS NEIGH!