Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
arepakiller

What doom format is prefered for maps or better? (answered)

I got a question, what format on doom builder 2 is better to make maps for doom 2? on any zdoom family (like hexen) or doom 2? Since I'm new on map making and I'm not quite sure which is better to work with (and also easier).

It depends what you're after, but I'd highly recommend going for standard Doom 2 format, or Boom at the most, to learn the basics with. There's a lot of extra snazzy features in ZDoom, but it's not uncommon in the face of them to lose sight of what makes a good map.

If you master the basics of level design, you can make amazing maps for anything.

If you're mapping for ZDoom, you have three choices. Of those, UDMF is the recommended one -- the Hexen format is limited, and the Doom format is not really covered by the documentation on the ZDoom wiki.

That said, as a beginner, you have to choose between keeping things simple by having just a few basic features but it's frustratingly hard to achieve certain things (Doom format) and, well, keeping things simple because the format is a lot more flexible but it's frustratingly hard to finish a good map because you'll be tempted to use a ton of superfluous features just because they're there and they're nifty.

So there you go.