Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Tormentor667

[Realm667] It's all yours (go contribute, read 1st post!)

Reviews & News from You
In case you haven't noticed this yet, the Realm667 has two new sections that need (!) to be filled with content from you, one is about reviews, the other one is about community news. These areas actually life from your support.

In the reviews area, you have a link where you can easily and simply write a review about a wad/project of your choice and post it including ratings, info, screenshots etc. It only needs to get approved by us, but that will happen in most of the cases.

Concerning community news, the system is quite similar to Doomworld's news posting with 2 very important differences: First you have more possibilites, like even adding a screenshot alongside the text, the second thing is that we are not that nitpicky when it comes to news. So, if you have spotted nice projects in development, releases or other things which are worth mentioning but only got posted in the forums from now, simply send us the news.

The two areas only live with your help, so please give it a go, we are looking forward to your contributions! :)

We are back! After one week of active development the Realm667 is back online with a complete new design and a complete updated content management system (moving from a buggy and unsecure 1.0.15 to 1.5) and many new features that incorporate an active and interactive new experience.

The main change between the past and the present is the actual reason for being. Realm667 has already turned into a more general Doom site in the past few revisions when the repositories have been added and this change is now in its final stage. The page now presents more general Doom content like Community News and Reviews that are supposed as information areas that visitors can actually contribute to (write news, write reviews!). First of all people might ask, why another general Doom page with these kind of stuff? Don't we already have Doomworld and... ?! ...oh well, here it already starts.

The updates on DRDTeam have always been only few as it was never supposed to be a portal for news, and Doomworld always had a very high standard of news being posted. It only happened in rare cases where releases were announced or mod development has been posted - and that's the big difference here. We try to accept any kind of news and do recent and frequent updates to keep you informed - easy, up to date and directly from the community.

As a conclusion we also added a review center where visitors and members can also post their very own reviews on projects and maps they have played. Sure, there is /newstuff, but it's hard to track and read older reviews and it isn't even possible to sort reviews. The new Realm667 gives you the opportunity to easily browse through the reviews and also a more appropriate way they are handled and displayed - it's simply more fun, even writing them!

So far the details on the main changes here. I also took the opportunity to improve many aspects of the page that you will most likely not even notice, things like spam protection, a faster loading speed (less images), a better way to browse through the repositories (table view, classic preview), logging in at the front page and many many more... just play around with the page and discover yourself! Oh and by the way, the board style isn't done yet, so don't ask ;)

Cheers,
Torm and the Realm667 team

Heh, R667 has been getting tight on what goes through their doors. As more and more advance guys come through the doors, anything lesser is booted, regardless of how well coded it was. Blue Imp with one neat attack and awsome coding and behavior? Booted without three attacks and new-graphics because it is "too simple". Fuck it. That's why I've come to dislike R667 somewhat.

Clonehunter said:

Heh, R667 has been getting tight on what goes through their doors. As more and more advance guys come through the doors, anything lesser is booted, regardless of how well coded it was. Blue Imp with one neat attack and awsome coding and behavior? Booted without three attacks and new-graphics because it is "too simple". Fuck it. That's why I've come to dislike R667 somewhat.

Seriously? I think the standards of what's been let into the monster bestiary have often been far too low, if anything. Some of them in there are pretty laughable.

I dunno, I was poking through there a couple days ago and most of them look pretty decent. Maybe there was a purge recently, or something, because I do remember a few pretty shitty looking ones in there before.

I would like to see the info and credits text of each resource package included in the actual ZIP archives. It feels a bit redundant to have to browse through the documentation separately when I want to use a resource and give proper credit on it.

Janizdreg said:

I would like to see the info and credits text of each resource package included in the actual ZIP archives. It feels a bit redundant to have to browse through the documentation separately when I want to use a resource and give proper credit on it.

IIRC there's a "credit" lump in most of the wad files.

Nomad said:

I dunno, I was poking through there a couple days ago and most of them look pretty decent. Maybe there was a purge recently, or something, because I do remember a few pretty shitty looking ones in there before.

A few have been removed; but it was just a handful. I don't remember how many exactly but I'd say less than a half dozen.

bgraybr said:

IIRC there's a "credit" lump in most of the wad files.

Should be in all of them; not just most.

Gez said:

Should be in all of them; not just most.

I only said "most" because I haven't personally opened every wad file and checked- I just vaguely remember it being a requirement for submitted resources.

It probably wasn't the best way of putting it:

IIRC a "credit" lump is required and should be in every wad.

bgraybr said:
IIRC a "credit" lump is required and should be in every wad. [/B]

Agreed, though it's already hard to check every single submission. If you found some missing the lump, let us know so we can add it.

Concerning thw quality of the resources, it is often hard to decide if something gets added or not, like in extreme cases, let's say, awesome DECORATE but handdrawn sprites or absolutely awesome sprites but Zombieman behaviour.

You know, in most cases we prefer adding a well-sprited monster to a well-decorated monster, des writing DECORATE is mostly a job that isn't as hard and time-intensive than drawing a whole new actor.

Either way, I also agree that there are some monsters in the repositories that should be enhanced or scrapped.

----

Concerning this thread, I mostly was thinking about technical suggestions, concerning the site structure and the content areas.

well, its a very big site with a huge amount of things you can download, you can download almost everything... except other Doom wads. Granted, you've got pretty high-tech wads and maps that you've created, but what about other peoples wads that youve played and really impressed you? On realm667 you could have a sub-section that say's 'recommended wads', and list the wads that you would recommend?

Hmm... I would quite honestly like to see more weapons added to the armory...

But, then again, more monsters in the beastiary sounds more promising...that, again, are not recolors of imps and barons with some ********** HP and attack.

And, you know how there is the picture of the creature, then you have to click the info tab to read up on it. I think instead it should be a picture with a description under it or something similar to that idea.

But those are just my thoughts.

Clonehunter said:

I got a monster with 15HP and a single melee attack approved just last week :P

Tormentor667 said:

Concerning this thread, I mostly was thinking about technical suggestions, concerning the site structure and the content areas.

As if that was ever gonna happen :P

IRO YM54's comment above, I would like to see an actual worded description to accompany the resources in the Armoury and Beastiary sections, much in the same way the Item Store has at the moment. I think the tabs are fine, but it would be nice to have instead of just "Melee", "Projectile" or "Hitscan".

IRO YM54's comment above, I would like to see an actual worded description to accompany the resources in the Armoury and Beastiary sections, much in the same way the Item Store has at the moment. I think the tabs are fine, but it would be nice to have instead of just "Melee", "Projectile" or "Hitscan". [/B]

Descriptions will happen for the monsters and weapons, promised :)

Tormentor667 said:

Descriptions will happen for the monsters and weapons, promised :)

ok, also can you make so more things fit onto one page? so that I dont have to go to the next page every so often?

Other than that I can't find anything wrong with the site...and even then thats not even really a fixed-wrong rather than just an improvement.

Host Doom 3 features (especially textures and props, which it is in dire need of IMO). But hey, it is a pipe dream, right?

printz said:

Host Doom 3 features (especially textures and props, which it is in dire need of IMO). But hey, it is a pipe dream, right?

Yes ;)

as for too many recolors, you could introduce a rating system so popular creatures can be sorted on top.

have a menu to sort monsters by type (demonic, cybernetic, undead etc), level (low, mid, high, boss), hit points, author, based on origin (classic / doom 3/ duke / etc), type of attack, upload date ... whatever there is in the monster's description, not just alphabetic. if possible, let it go through its animation / attack / death frames on a mouse click, like in the animation at the end of doom 2.

this will make it easier for map builders to select appropriate custom sprites for their map. also, a similar menu for weapons, textures, objects, flats. i miss a plain table that lists the doom textures on a glance, for example.

great resource site btw. i like custom monsters if done tastefully, that is fitting the map and not a horde of whatever remixes one could find.

Torr Samaho said:

have a menu to sort monsters by type (demonic, cybernetic, undead etc), level (low, mid, high, boss), hit points, author, based on origin (classic / doom 3/ duke / etc), type of attack, upload date ... whatever there is in the monster's description, not just alphabetic. if possible, let it go through its animation / attack / death frames on a mouse click, like in the animation at the end of doom 2.

Unfortunately I am missing the skill to code something like that but at least I added a search dialogue and a rating system as well as a sorting engine to the table overviews that makes searching things easier. :)

The menu idea may be too much but I do want at least the ability to sort the origin of the sprites, be it from Heretic, Hexen, Strife, Duke, Doom Recolors, Other or completely original.

Also completely unrelated, Tormentor, but if you ever finish HPack, you really should put together a team for a ChexPack. It really needs a decent mod, there's only like 3 on CQFF that are even worth playing.

R667 has gone into Upgrading stages... No downloads... ANyone know of some other sites for now that distribute Decorate things? Whether they are just userpages on blogs or not?

Add a pastebin with ACS/DECORATE support.

Extra credit: Make it so you can embed the compiled ACS/DECORATE in a WAD/PK3 file with a sample map designed for the task that can then be downloaded.

I was gonna do this for altdeath, but if you get to it first, more power to you.

We are back! After one week of active development the Realm667 is back online with a complete new design and a complete updated content management system (moving from a buggy and unsecure 1.0.15 to 1.5) and many new features that incorporate an active and interactive new experience.

The main change between the past and the present is the actual reason for being. Realm667 has already turned into a more general Doom site in the past few revisions when the repositories have been added and this change is now in its final stage. The page now presents more general Doom content like Community News and Reviews that are supposed as information areas that visitors can actually contribute to (write news, write reviews!). First of all people might ask, why another general Doom page with these kind of stuff? Don't we already have Doomworld and... ?! ...oh well, here it already starts.

The updates on DRDTeam have always been only few as it was never supposed to be a portal for news, and Doomworld always had a very high standard of news being posted. It only happened in rare cases where releases were announced or mod development has been posted - and that's the big difference here. We try to accept any kind of news and do recent and frequent updates to keep you informed - easy, up to date and directly from the community.

As a conclusion we also added a review center where visitors and members can also post their very own reviews on projects and maps they have played. Sure, there is /newstuff, but it's hard to track and read older reviews and it isn't even possible to sort reviews. The new Realm667 gives you the opportunity to easily browse through the reviews and also a more appropriate way they are handled and displayed - it's simply more fun, even writing them!

So far the details on the main changes here. I also took the opportunity to improve many aspects of the page that you will most likely not even notice, things like spam protection, a faster loading speed (less images), a better way to browse through the repositories (table view, classic preview), logging in at the front page and many many more... just play around with the page and discover yourself! Oh and by the way, the board style isn't done yet, so don't ask ;)

Cheers,
Torm and the Realm667 team