Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Gerbil

New Doom-based thing goes live on net! (plus win an X-box) :)

YAY!

My latest 3D project has just gone live on the Norwegian version of Big Brother's web site.
Why is this of interest? Because I created the level in a Doom editor, that's why :) It uses hardware acceleration in your browser, and is a measly 240k to download. Go take a look :) Also, if you are Norwegian, enter the competition there - you might win an X-box (we managed to snaffle some Microsoft sponsorsship - 7 X-boxes to be won!).

To get there go to:

http://www.bigbrother.no/

Click on the 'spill' button near the top right (just below the pics of all the people).

Then click on the 'start spillet' button which will open up a pop-up window. If you don't have shockwave 8.5 then this is your chance to get it :)

Otherwise click on 'Start spillet' near the top left of the popup window.

And then let it load and enjoy :)

Oh, and the competition to win an X-box is only open to Norwegian residents - sorry :(

And finally - it's not perfect - you can mess up the collision detection in a few locations, but there shouldn't be any actual crashes or anything, just a few tiny graphical glitches, which hopefully I'll be able to fix soon, but this was a bit of a rush job to say the least!

Barry
gerbil@theburrow.co.uk

Ever heard of BB code? It DOES work you know :)

Oh, and the competition to win an X-box is only open to Norwegian residents - sorry :(

What's to be sorry for? We don't want a SuXBoX anyway :)

What's to be sorry for? We don't want a SuXBoX anyway :)

You be fo' real, Cren mah dawg.

Console systems suck. Point.

Heh, didn't mean to turn it into a console vs debate, but!
I own virtually every console known to man plus a PC.
Why?
So I can play the best games on every format :)
People who go on about their format being better than the rest are just a wee bit tragic methinks.

As long as you enjoy what you have, be happy!

well call me tragic, but the very best games are on the PC format...console games just can't keep up.

If doom was a console game, I probably wouldn't ever have played it. If there were no computer games, only console ones, I'd still buy a computer and not a console.

Atari 2600, of course, is the obvious exception :)

Why?

Uhh...and exactly how many hundred thousand dollars do you make a year?

Why?

Uhh...and exactly how many hundred thousand dollars do you make a year?

You can buy the old ones for cheap!

It's not the case that I earn lots, although I am old enough to have a proper income, but because I can buy games for lots of different consoles doesn't mean I buy more games, simply that the few that I do buy will be the best from all formats, rather than just the one or two I'd own otherwise.

Oh, plus my brother worked for Sony until recently so we got all PS1 and 2 games either free or ridiculously cheap - not to mention we got given a PS2 for free :)

The only console I'm currently not considering buying is X-box. I have a PC - what's the point?

And yes - budget games rock. Let's face it, if we were too proud to play slightly older games, we'd hardly be in this Doom forum would we?

Graphics may improve, but playability is timeless!

Indeed.

/me hugs Master of Magic...and wishes there was a new 3D accelerated version that runs on Windows XP

/me hugs danarchist.

uh, Gerbil, I don't suppose, uh, you got any spare PSX2s laying around? =)

The only console I'm currently not considering buying is X-box. I have a PC - what's the point?

Halo.

/me hugs Master of Magic...and wishes there was a new 3D accelerated version that runs on Windows XP

.................................*CENSORED CENSORED CENSORED CENSORED CENSORED CENSORED!!!!!!!! CENSORED CENSORED CENSORED CENSORED!!!!!*

(No, the above did not have anything to do with the taboo subject)

Halo is definitely reason enough to own an X-Box, and plenty of other games in development still have the potential to be great.

Peter Molyneux is doing an X-Box exclusive RPG currently titled Project Ego.

It sounds amazing

oooh Project Ego. Knowing a game like that is being developed for the X-box is killing me. At least I have Morrowind...

If Microsoft wasn't so desperate to get some killer apps out on X-Beast we'd probably be playing Halo on our PCs and patiently awaiting Project Ego.

I'm also psyched about the revamped version of Shenmue 2. The first one had lots of problems but opened many doors for Yu Suzuki that I'm anxious to explore.

Halo is NOT a reason to buy an X-box.
It's an above average game but is not nearly as revolutionary as it's makers and M$ would like you to think.
Take it as evolution not revolution.
And even then it's not THAT good.
I reckon Timesplitters 2 will be the definition of console FPS fun. The original is an under-rated masterpiece.

Halo will be out on PC soon enough anyway, and like I said, I'm not in any particular rush to buy full-priced games. (Last ones I bought were Jak & Daxter = ACE, and Devil May Cry = most overhyped rubbish ever. Camera alone kills it for me).

Next up? Metal Gear Solid 2.

If I want to play a FPS game I'll stick to Wolfy which is the way to go (online rocks!).

Yeah, Timesplitters definitely didn't get the recognition it deserved. The developers said that they wanted to put more emphasis on the story but Sony didn't give them enough time because the game had to be ready for launch. TS2 will be everything the first one was and so much more. I thought it was especially cool that it had a mad editor, and that's also one thing that X-Box is perfect for with its hardrive. If only more developers could see the potential it has....

Why buy consoles when emulators are free? As long as you "abide by the law" (whatever that means), they're almost better in some cases (Project64? I rest my case.)

DC

Gerbil man, you couldn't get farther from the truth.

Halo is the best game I've played since Doom, hands down. If you'd actually sit down and play the game, your opinion wouldn't be what it is right now

Graphics may improve, but playability is timeless!

Indeed.

/me hugs Zelda 1

/me hugs Zelda 1 as well.

Zelda 1 was the first game I ever beat. I was 3 or 4 years old.