Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Archi

First-try Demo Contest #7

For the seventh time on Doom Power, the First-Try Demo Contest is being held . Everybody, who wants, I suggest that you would take part in this event. FDC is a contest, in which the winner is the player, who'll be able to finish map first (complete it) - all players will play unknown map, which will be same for all participants, without cheats, at the same time - recording a demo. In this particular contest, the demo should be compatible with final doom executable (-complevel 4 for prboom+).
Map format - vanilla(Final Doom). Competition will take place on July, 2nd, at 15 o'clock UTC. Participants can use those source-ports, which are compatible with Plutonia. Before starting (approx. 1 hour before the beginning) I will upload a password-protected archive, and in an hour I will declare it's password, then participants immediately are to begin game(archive will contain bat files for faster start). During demo recording, it is forbidden to stop for a long time, to put game on a pause, and to go to a main menu - it is required that all participants will play fair. Also, any TAS are forbidden as well. Time gap between total time of the demo and the demo upload time must not exceed 5 minutes, otherwise participant will receive a penalty or even will be disqualified for wasting too much time. After recording demo, all immediately must pack their demo in a .zip-archive, and name that file with their (participants') nickname, and send them to me using following form:
http://www.e1m2.net/fdc7/upload_eng.html

Wad with map and bat files will be archived in a rar archive.

Site for orientation to time: http://wwp.greenwichmeantime.com/

PS At this time, level was made by me, and tested by Memfis(big kudos for that).

Count me in.

Do you have to quit every time after dying or is it meant to include all the attempts in one demo?

In the meantime, you can try maps from previous contests:

FDC1 - Baker's Dozen map01
FDC2 - Gravity map01
FDC3 - Kobal
FDC4 - NORDHELL map01
FDC5 - Yuggot
FDC6 - FDC6

Winner times (including all attempts):

Spoiler

fdc1 - 15:54 (Heretic)
fdc2 - 17:13 (Heretic)
fdc3 - 33:46 (Aleksej), 1 death
fdc4 - 4:48 (StasBFG)
fdc5 - 12:24 (Heretic)
fdc6 - 41:07 (Nil)

Archi said:

archive will contain bat files for faster start

Why not release these in advance so people can tweak them to work with their own system and file locations? They're unlikely to work straight out of the box for everyone.

Grazza said:

Why not release these in advance so people can tweak them to work with their own system and file locations? They're unlikely to work straight out of the box for everyone.

So, if somebody want to make his own command to start, I'll post here name of pWad, iWad and other parameters.

It seems I have to use doom2-plus.exe. Does it work fine (same compatible with auto-detection or something?) with the final doom? I don't know how it exactly works.

Like in COMPET-N, "-iwad doom2.wad -file plutonia.wad" is allowed too.

I agree with Grazza. Post them now, Archi. :)

Memfis said:

Like in COMPET-N, "-iwad doom2.wad -file plutonia.wad" is allowed too.

Good news for me heh. Easy way instead of custom hacked udoom+ executable.

iWad: plutonia.wad
pWad: fdcm7.wad
Complevel for PrBoom and PrBoom+: 4.
skill: 4
warp: 1
lmp name: fdc7_tmp

Paska, Doom+ is not compatible with Final Doom. But yes, you can use it for recording demos.

So, if anyone want to use port like Doom2_plus.exe, his iwad must be Doom2.wad, but Plutonia.wad must be one of two pwads.

Some tips for vanilla participants

1) Don't forget add to cmd "-maxdemo 1024" parameter.
2) Physically remove Q key from the keyboard.
3) Any actions within in-game menu (adjusting midi vol most likely) without pausing the game leads to desynch. And since Pausing is disallowed by rules I recommend turn off music by -nomusic cmd key.

I'm not sure if I'll be able to participate in that time but anyways, count me in.

Anyways, wouldn't it be nicer if everyone used the same port, more preferably, Vanilla?

I'll try to join, too. Maybe it gives my inspiration back like the czech competition did.

1ntru said:
Anyways, wouldn't it be nicer if everyone used the same port, more preferably, Vanilla? [/B]

Probably not everyone will be comfortable to play in Vanilla. So every player chooses a suitable port for him.

Here is some valid ports: Doom2, Doom2 plus, Plutonia, Chocolate Doom, Eternity Engine, PrBoom, PrBoom+, GLBoom+.

i'm reckless and die in fdas, but i'll give it a try as well

doom2p.exe -file plutonia.wad -file fdcm7.wad -skill 4 -record fdc7_tmp -maxdemo 1024

I tried that commandline but changed "-file fdcm7.wad" -> "-file gravity.wad" and it doesn't work. It only warps to plutonia map01. I think it should be "doom2p.exe -file plutonia.wad fdcm7.wad -skill 4 -record fdc7_tmp -maxdemo 1024".

Paska said:

I think it should be "doom2p.exe -file plutonia.wad fdcm7.wad -skill 4 -record fdc7_tmp -maxdemo 1024".

Of course it should. Sorry for this.

Right strings:

prboom-plus.exe -iwad plutonia.wad -file fdcm7.wad -complevel 4 -skill 4 -warp 01 -record fdc7_tmp
glboom-plus.exe -iwad plutonia.wad -file fdcm7.wad -complevel 4 -skill 4 -warp 01 -record fdc7_tmp
prboom.exe -iwad plutonia.wad -file fdcm7.wad -complevel 4 -skill 4 -warp 01 -record fdc7_tmp
eternity.exe -iwad plutonia.wad -file fdcm7.wad -skill 4 -warp 01 -record fdc7_tmp -vanilla
chocolate-doom.exe -iwad plutonia.wad -file fdcm7.wad -skill 4 -warp 01 -record fdc7_tmp
doom2.exe -file fdcm7.wad -skill 4 -warp 01 -record fdc7_tmp -maxdemo 1024                      // final doom exe
doom2.exe -file plutonia.wad fdcm7.wad -skill 4 -warp 01 -record fdc7_tmp -maxdemo 1024         // doom2.exe as pwad
doom2p.exe -file plutonia.wad fdcm7.wad -skill 4 -warp 01 -record fdc7_tmp -maxdemo 1024        // doom2+ as pwad

Didn't think I'd be able to wake up for this so I didn't post, but it's hard to sleep with a mockingbird making siren noises from 11 pm to 6-7 am. So now you guys will get a half-asleep demo to watch ;)

I did not like that cyberdemon guarding the trench >.> BFG secret also horribly imbalances the last few parts. I'm surprised the author fit that many secrets in the map too, it's kind of small.

And though I knew we're not supposed to pause, I took an instinctive pause to try to wipe my eyes of liquid sleeps, but it was only for a second or so in a non-active moment.