Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Aliotroph?

Happy Canada Day, Ya Hosers!

So Canada Day is the best Holiday, eh? That's like when we just sit here and drink beer and pretend we can afford big fireworks like New York. Also, Prince William is here admiring our beavers or something.

These guys explain it best:

So yeah, good day!

The biggest barbecue and drinking day of the year!

I can't wait to go see our crappy five minute fireworks display while beating the mosquitoes off of me.

I'll be heading downtown to check out the crowds and free concert (not that I'm interested in the bands). I'll be practicing my photography skills. The fireworks give a great opportunity to do something besides day-time photography.

Halifax has some decent fireworks.

I don't remember the last time I had BBQ on Canada Day. Might have been in the 90s. We also seem to have cleaned out the beer last night.

Usually we manage close to 15 minutes of fireworks in Edmonton. One time they were almost cancelled and then went only four minutes. I think there was almost a riot. :D

Happy Canada Day you hosers. I had a BBQ today.. haha. I scarfed some Keith's and a few burgers.

Aliotroph? said:

Prince William is here admiring our beavers or something.

mmmmmmm beaverrrrrr

Aliotroph? said:

Also, Prince William is here admiring our beavers or something.

Is Trudeau still letting her get away with this shit?

Doom Dude said:

Happy Canada Day you hosers. I had a BBQ today.. haha. I scarfed some Keith's and a few burgers.

I had a few Keith's yesterday. Since the liquor store is closed today, I bought booze yesterday, but got impatient and drank it all yesterday.

And fuck yes, TPB. I live in Dartmouth.

I was supposed to be out of town on an old acreage today, starting fires and schmoozing around with family or something, but I have a wicked migraine, so screw that. Instead my entire day off has been spent sober, alone, and in a dark room, not that I'm complaining.

This might be the only place you can mix tomato juice with vodka, clam broth, worcestershire sauce and tabasco sauce and people will say "I'll have one too" instead of vomiting on your shoes...

CODOR said:

This might be the only place you can mix tomato juice with vodka, clam broth, worcestershire sauce and tabasco sauce and people will say "I'll have one too" instead of vomiting on your shoes...

Those are vile. I'll split a jug of Keith's with Doom Dude. :p

Aliotroph? said:

Those are vile. I'll split a jug of Keith's with Doom Dude. :p

Hell ya, to hell with that clam broth swill.

CODOR said:

mix tomato juice with vodka, clam broth, worcestershire sauce and tabasco sauce

That actually sounds pretty good, I gotta try that some time.

Aliotroph? said:

Lol I have had them before! Theres this bar/grill called the "Pearl on the River" (I forgot the name got changed) along the Sacramento river that serves them with breakfast. They are most certainly a good drink.

P.s. I heard theres only one road in Canada :p

Aliotroph? said:

eh?

Do Canadians really utter that after every sentence, or is it just a stereotype/myth? Kind of like how all Brits supposedly say "mate" a lot (I rarely if ever say it).

Nothing too special aboot it in my neck of the woods.

DoomUK said:

Do Canadians really utter that after every sentence, or is it just a stereotype/myth?

It's mostly a stereotype, you'll hear it now and then, but it's so rare here in Ontario that it's noticeable when someone says it.

Maes said:

Nothing too special aboot it in my neck of the woods.

Shouldn't you be out rioting?

Scet said:

It's mostly a stereotype, you'll hear it now and then, but it's so rare here in Ontario that it's noticeable when someone says it.

It's common enough here that I hear it on a regular basis. In fact, I catch myself saying it on a regular basis.

People use it in contexts where you could want to solicit agreement if you were sufficiently lacking confidence in your opinions. So it's always turning obvious statements into stupid questions, eg. "Sure is sunny outside, eh?" Other people do the same thing but substitute "hey?" instead.

I'm English and I do that all of the time. For example: "What the fuck's all this Canada day about, eh?"

Phobus said:

"What the fuck's all this Canada day aboot, eh?"

FTFY

Phobus said:

Shouldn't you be out rioting?

When a politicized and fully armed movement (with the backing of at least part of the army, the police and the other security forces) with the stated goal of eradicating the last 70 years of political dynasties from the face of Greece forever does rise, coupled with an autarchic, technically-oriented and elitist future form of government arises, then I'll fit right in.

A bunch of rioters throwing rocks at goons in riot gear? Not even close.

Scet said:

I lived in Calgary for many years and make regular visits and it is very rare to come across it in Alberta. However I live in Grand Forks and where I work we get a lot of customers from Winnipeg and most of the folks aged 30-70 or so say it after just about every sentence. Must be a Manitoban thing.

Aliotroph? said:

It's common enough here that I hear it on a regular basis. In fact, I catch myself saying it on a regular basis.

People use it in contexts where you could want to solicit agreement if you were sufficiently lacking confidence in your opinions. So it's always turning obvious statements into stupid questions, eg. "Sure is sunny outside, eh?" Other people do the same thing but substitute "hey?" instead.

I don't know why people say that this is a canadian thing. it's everywhere in America, as well as "huh", "no" and "right".

Also, "Flying off the handle" is said down here too.

And we love waffles. I think we're done here.