Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
SoulSkorpion

Doom95 LAN problems

Okay, I've got a problem. I'm trying to run a TCP LAN game of Doom95 in the computer lab at my school (with full permission)

Anyway, the problem is that is keeps freezing for no apparent reason. On some of the computers, it would freeze for no reason, then after around 15 seconds it would be fine. Then it would freeze again and not unfreeze. On other computers, it ran fine the whole time except for when either computer opened fire on something, at which point it would freeze again. Whenever it froze, some of the computers could still access their menus and ALWAYS one of them couldn't (leading me to believe that that machine is the one with the problem). Anyway, after extensive changing machines and moving around and testing with different hosts and different clients and different machines firing, I've found that the exact same computer pairs freeze when gunfire goes on, but it's always the same computer out of them which can't use it's menu.

Well, I'd like any advice on how I can stop the damn thing freezing. I hope the above information helped somewhat.

SoulSkorpion

Why don't you use a client/server Doom port, or generally a source port instead. It bet it will be more stable.

Couple of things. One is that it's not that unusual for doom to freeze a computer up when there is a networking problem...do the "problem" machines play doom95 fine in solo mode? If so, the freezing may be related to incorrect network communication.
Second, I actually thought that Doom95 needed the IPX protocol like the DOS doom2 does. If that's true, is the IPX protocol installed on your network? The newer ports and client-server ports use only TCP/IP as far as I know.
If I were you I'd try out Zdaemon, link from rarefiles.tripod.com. Zdaemon is client-server, and when you start a server then others can join at will, with the game in progress. You can set timelimit, fraglimit and dmflags so the fun keeps going. :)

Use zdoom or just try plain ol' doom's lan feature.

O By The Way
DOOM95 SUCKS

Logitech mice wont work with doom95 :/