Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ryuusen91

who also plays with keyboard only

I have always used the keyboard only, no matter the application.

On older keyboards I used the default configuration, however I eventually switched to a sort of hybrid approach, where WASD perform the same function as the arrow keys (turning not strafing), and alt/ctrl/space are strafe/fire/use. For modern sourceports, crouch, jump, look up/down, etc. are keys around WASD.

Nobody else I know of has uses this "left handed" version of the original configuration, but I can never use anything else. I myself am not left handed, either, which removes the only logical explanation I could imagine for my peculiar configuration.

That being said I rarely deathmatch others, and against other marines I could see a mouse being necessary for faster reaction times/greater precision in aiming.

here, I play with keyboard only... because using mouse in doom2.exe sucks in my opinion

and I don't want to switch if I play any sourceports

ever tried to play with just 1 hand? it works and is very relaxed (for example if you lie on your couch and you hold your head with the other hand :))

Primarily I use keyboard only. Monsters are such easy targets to shoot given their large hitboxes and slow movement that using a mouse to pinpoint each one just seems too easy, also using two pieces of hardware to control one character feels a little clunky to me, especially with how few controls Doom has.

However I did learn that using the keyboard only against human players in deathmatches and duels can prove to be pretty heartbreaking. Players move extremely fast, tactically and defensively and the key to defeating them is having excellent precision and timing of the trigger finger. Not having the freedom to control the speed of your turning cycles is very disadvantageous in such occasions.

I did however have little trouble holding a high kill count in Skulltag CTF, but that was usually because many of the players were garbage and most players were more interested in getting to their destination than killing each other.

40oz said:

However I did learn that using the keyboard only against human players in deathmatches and duels can prove to be pretty heartbreaking.

That's exactly why I always advocated the creation of "keyboarder" and "gamepadder" leagues, which will allow people with the same control method to compete evenly, with the same advantages (even if dubious) and handicaps (most importantly).

Maes said:

That's exactly why I always advocated the creation of "keyboarder" and "gamepadder" leagues, which will allow people with the same control method to compete evenly, with the same advantages (even if dubious) and handicaps (most importantly).

I'd love to see a keyboard league. The Odamex team should initiate something like that - it might encourage more players to their engine...

Average said:

I'd love to see a keyboard league. The Odamex team should initiate something like that - it might encourage more players to their engine...

Yeah that seems cool. I'd hop right in on that, as long as I don't have to have a clan tag or something in my name to prove it.

Maes said:

Is the community large enough to split into these categories and still maintain a good player base?

Xeros612 said:

Is the community large enough to split into these categories and still maintain a good player base?

All the different source ports didn't hurt it.

Back in the DOS-days we used to deathmatch during our office-hours in a
customer-support-department. That meant, we had to fight with just one hand, because we needed the other to pickup the phone (we did not stop playing, only because a customer was calling...).

It was quite amazing to play doom with one hand and keyboard only.
BTW.: I should try to deathmatch myself. Right hand vs. left hand!!!

When I first started playing Doom I only used the keyboard. I always hated it because it was so uncomfortable and it hurt my wrist after playing for a while. When I discovered ZDoom and coudl mouse look I fell in love with Doom all over again. I don't know, my biggest problem was haveing to hold down a button to strafe, press the arrow keys to dodge, and press the fire button all at the same time to be the most awequard thing ever.

DoomGater said:

I should try to deathmatch myself. Right hand vs. left hand!!!

I tried that before by starting two instances of DOSBox on the same machine and running a fake netgame between them. I had to write a script to rapidly change focus between the two windows so that I could control both players, but it was still kind of cool to show off.

Until the whole thing inevitably lost synchronization and crashed, or whatever. :)

its required in some wads that people have created. i dont use it in origonal maps though, theres no need for it and impossable to jump over projectiles.

I was going to ask if anyone used the default bindings. How the hell do you make that work? How do you circle strafe? Which Ctrl and Shift do you use? Where do you put your hands?

I always used the default bindings, to answer DRM's question. Perhaps with a couple of "cheats":

1. I use the left SHIFT/CTRL/ALT keys, so I spread my hands comfortably.
  2. It works best on old pre-Win 95 keyboards that had nothing between the the CTRL and ALT keys, and where the keys themselves were usually wider than what you see on modern keyboards.
Circle strafing is achieved by using the ALT key as a sort of clutch while juggling with the arrow keys e.g. I keep it pressed while moving left, strafe a bit, released it, turn a bit to the right etc. (if I was strafing clockwise).

It sounds complicated (and it is), and results in a kind of jerky/crudely shaped "circlestrafing" but it can be mastered to a useful degree, even if it will never be as smooth as using the mouse. For one, you have to master alternating between pressing/releasing the ALT key with a refular frequency to give you a smooth circling, and also to remember to swap arrow keys when doing that (so you keep facing the target).

If you wonder how I could pull that stunt, well, being an old school arcade player taught me that directional control should preferably be the task of the dominant hand, while dumb button mashing can be done optimally by the less dominant one. I believed in that so strongly, that I played left-sticked arcades with a "cross-hand" technique (right hand crossing over left wrist to grab the stick, left hand underneath right wrist to deal with dumb button mashing). So a bit of ALT-arrows coordination was no sweat for me ;-)

Perhaps an easier (?) variant, even if I didn't try it myself, would be to use separate strafe keys (but not the default ,/< and ./>, those are placed quite badly. Perhaps moving those to a partial WASD configuration (using only A and D) could work, or to a more C64/Spectrum-like Z-X configuration. The Z-X configuration should theoretically allow you to use both directional arrows, selective strafing, AND firing with left CTRL (and even toggle running) at the same time.

Yet another alternate setup which could work: Firing on left Ctrl, running set to ALT (yes, to ALT), and strafing with LEFT SHIFT/Z.

DoomGater said:

It was quite amazing to play doom with one hand and keyboard only.

Oh boy,the masturbation jokes you can pull off with that one.

I have the keyboard and mouse always to the settings to a modern first-person shooter. (Freelook,WASD,jumping,crouching,etc)

I only turn off all of those modern modes when the time comes (a wad that was meant to be played with those features off so you don't cheat,etc.)

And when I'm playing the PS1 TC of Doom,I use a gamepad,and turn off the lights,and get my diet coke,and my pepperoni pizza,and blast dem summabitches.

I used to use the keyboard...
Now I use the mouse
and the keyboard just seems impossible...

I do all my playing with the keyboard, and have for the last 7 years or so, although the one time I got used to using the mouse I found I had a lot more finesse. For most purposes I can play perfectly well with the keyboard, and I can't be bothered to go buy a mouse for my laptop.

I was keyboard only until a few months ago. I can't remember why I switched, I think I'm pretty decent with just a keyboard.

Marnetmar said:

I was keyboard...

LOL, actually by this you mean, YOU were keyboard instead of using it. That's what I thought first. :P

I only use keyboard only when I'm playing an IWAD. Everything else, keyboard and mouse.

Gordon said:

I only use keyboard only when I'm playing an IWAD. Everything else, keyboard and mouse.

If you use one for the original IWADS, why don't you do so for vanilla compatible maps?

Gordon said:

If you're trying to be a purist you're doing it wrong, Romero used a mouse to record the Doom 1 demos.

I started out with the PSX version, which used a digital gamepad.

When I first played PC Doom I found the mouse unusable because of unwanted vertical movement & the strain of holding the run key + forward/back key with the same hand
(I was not aware of novert or the joyb29 trick at the time) so I stuck with (2-handed) keyboard.

Since ports like ZDoom, Doomsday & even Chocolate Doom have been around (and optical mice became cheaper & more reliable) I prefer the mouse.

For most other FPSes I've always preferred a mouse/trackpad, even cramped netbook pads/ball mice.
I've never found the default keybindings on any FPS to be usable. I've always wondered how they came up with them & couldn't imagine that the play-testers could have suggested or even tolerated them.
IIRC F.E.A.R. had the worst defaults I've ever seen.

Quake II was the exception - I went back to keyboard-only for that. (I can't remember why.)

Whenever I'm not using a mouse I find it essential to be able to turn 180° with a single key/button (can any Doom port do that?)

Now for the follow-up question - why does everyone prefer WASD/ESDF over arrow keys? I find the arrows easy to locate without moving my eyes toward the keyboard, but if I have to move my hand from WASD for any reason I have to look away from the screen to find them again.

finnw said:

Now for the follow-up question - why does everyone prefer WASD/ESDF over arrow keys? I find the arrows easy to locate without moving my eyes toward the keyboard, but if I have to move my hand from WASD for any reason I have to look away from the screen to find them again.

Because since the finer aspect of moving about in Doom -turning- is delegated to the "good" right hand and out of the keyboard, having the left -less coordinated- hand on the arrow keys feels unnatural, and it also doesn't allow using CTRL/ALT/SPACE or even TAB and other keys usually mapped to crouching/jumping/easily easily, quite unlike the default config. Unless you have three hands or something.