Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
DeathevokatioN

Texture pack error

Hi...

Whenever I load up a map, using the texture pack (see below) in Prboom+, all these HOMs appear. The HOM's also appear in stock DooM 2 levels, so I know this issue relates to the actual texture pack that me (and team) are using, and not the maps.

Does anyone know how to fix this? I'd be very grateful for any and all help regarding this, it's probably some dumb noob XWE error that I made and I probably should apologize in advance for it. :)

RoD texture pack (3mb download):
http://www.sendspace.com/file/d3lzq0

plz help :)

So I loaded up the texture pack with Doom2 MAP01, and saw HOM in the first room. Checked stdout.txt:

bad texture 'PIPE4' in sidedef 9
bad texture 'PIPE4' in sidedef 9
bad texture 'PIPE4' in sidedef 11
Confirmed in map editor that the wall I was looking at was in fact supposed to have PIPE4 on it. Loaded the WAD into slade, and there's no PIPE4 texture. Loaded WAD into XWE, and there's no PIPE4 texture. Loaded WAD into hex editor, and there's no PIPE4 texture.

There's a "PIPE4 1" texture though... smells like some sort of crappy string handling. What tool are you using to edit the textures?

Thx for the response.

Hmmmm... I've always thought that stock Doom textures like Pipe4 didn't need to be included in a wad for them to work ingame.

I'm using XWE if that helps.

Looks like the old SlumpEd/XWE double shuffle to me. I also noticed a lot of duplicate texture names which wouldn't help.

Heh, come to think of it, it actually might be the XWE / SlumpEd shuffle, as I recall testing out SlumpEd on it to see which I liked using best..

Would there be a way to fix this or would I have to start from scratch?

DeathevokatioN said:

Thx for the response.

Hmmmm... I've always thought that stock Doom textures like Pipe4 didn't need to be included in a wad for them to work ingame.

I'm using XWE if that helps.

Your TEXTURE1 lump replaces the original TEXTURE1 lump. Every texture you use must be in it.

GreyGhost said:

Looks like the old SlumpEd/XWE double shuffle to me. I also noticed a lot of duplicate texture names which wouldn't help.

Could you tell me more about the SlumpEd/XWE double shuffle?

<tl;dr interpretation of Gez's post>

The "double shuffle" is a two-part problem, when writing short texture names (6 characters or less) to a TEXTURE* lump (and I think occasionally short patch names to PNAMES) SlumpEd terminates the name with a single null byte and allows any remaining bytes in the name-space (which is 8 bytes in length) to contain garbage values. XWE doesn't know that it's not supposed to read past the null terminator byte and treats that garbage as part of the texture/patch name, the result being the problem DeathevokatioN is having.

@DeathevokatioN - I've repaired and sanitized the texture lump, replace the existing PNAMES and TEXTURE1 lumps with these, delete the duplicate FLOOR1_2 flat, decide which set of WFALL* patches you want to keep and you should be good to go. I'd suggest you then re-check the maps for missing textures, there's bound to be a few.

Hey, thanks alot Greyghost. :) I'll try it out a bit later to see what's still missing. So is it safe to use XWE again? :)

I'll look into this further, cheers for the link Mithran.

While XWE has its quirks I still find it to be a useful tool, though not 100% safe.