Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Blastfrog

Doom EU (alpha TC) [NOT FOR ZDOOM]

Interesting. Turns out a lot of my interpretations were correct (episode 1 was the light side, episode 3 was the dark side, as opposed to both sides being in episode 1 like a lot of people think), along with the demon coming in the room and killing the non-occupied player slots.

Not really any new info for me, but it certainly helps, because it confirms what I thought the direction for the project should go in.

Mind if I ask how you got into contact with him? I'd like to talk to him some about this project. If you don't feel comfortable giving out the info publicly, perhaps you could PM me?

Any estimate on what percentage done you are? This looks very promising and I'm looking forward to playing it. I wish I could help but I suck at everything.

I want to know the deal behind the rocket launcher? Is this something you just came up with cuz it doesnt work in game properly and I never imagined this being the original rocket launcher created by ID

A percentage? 4% maybe. The priority of my projects from most to least is this: TSAT, Koliko's Adventure, Doom EU.

As for the missile launcher, somebody suggested that it was supposed to have rotating barrels because that's what the alpha pickup graphic looked like. I'm not sure if I'll keep it, but I'm more so focusing on the maps for it and not the features, since I've been having trouble getting a coder. Still waiting for Zom-B to respond to my PM.

Sodaholic, do you intend to create new bosses that will better fit your approach to DOOM's alpha and beta, or will maintain the old bosses, but with new aplha/beta styled maps?

I recall also in the beta that models of other DOOM marines were present. Will you have interactive marines in the game, such as allies or a weapons dealer, and perhaps have an interactive intro where you enter the base before the demons emerge? For example, you could start the game outside of the base, with your ship docked in the front, and your allies venturing in before you do. It could almost be like WOLFENSTEIN 3D's first episode (where you supposed to enter the base, not escape from it) in reverse, with more unexpected situations and more interactivity (because the episode began right when BJ killed the guard, so, therefore, DOOM EU begins where the marines first venture in).

Excuse the weirdness of my questions. It's an impressive project, still.

I was actually going to suggest doing this with the strife engine/Doom palette, I think it meets pretty much all of your needs and would still retain a classic feel to it.

Sodaholic said:

As for the missile launcher, somebody suggested that it was supposed to have rotating barrels because that's what the alpha pickup graphic looked like. I'm not sure if I'll keep it, but I'm more so focusing on the maps for it and not the features, since I've been having trouble getting a coder. Still waiting for Zom-B to respond to my PM.

I believe that that would be a good idea to keep it like that.

Dee said:

I believe that that would be a good idea to keep it like that.

Eh, I'm not so sure. It doesn't really resemble any kind of rocket launcher to me.

DeimosKnight said:

stuff

I highly doubt Doom was ever planned to have anything like that. There's not much point in using the Strife engine with my plans.

Yeah. the other marines on the maps were simply placeholders that were not invisible yet, which were for DM spawnpoints. Oh, and the intro was supposed to be a set of people playing cards, not entering a base, which you were already in to begin with. It was supposed to contain a few screens of planet rotations, and the catastrophe at the Lightside and Darkside Tei Tenga bases, at the planet's poles. Then, sirens flash in the hallways, and a demon bursts into the room where you all play cards, the credits roll over the face of the emerged demon, and that's where you started the game after picking a character.

Also, they did have sloped planned, security cameras, etc. which sadly never made it to the full Doom game due to time constraints and computer compatibility (I really hope you've heard of a 386?).

I'm not meaning to start anything, just putting some facts out there for future ref.

that sounds badass. could take advantage of the zdoom engine and make it happen like that.

Dee said:

that sounds badass. could take advantage of the zdoom engine and make it happen like that.

I don't know why people keep suggesting that I use ZDoom when I've already pointed out on multiple occasions that this will use a modified Chocolate Doom, no exceptions.

Yes, the original version of this was for ZDoom, but I started to become dissatisfied with the direction that my project was headed in, so I scrapped it and started this version instead. The original was picked up by someone else, you can see the thread for it on the ZDoom forums.

I have no intentions of using anything but Chocolate Doom, as from the start this was meant to have a vanilla feel, so I abandoned using ZDoom since it was not appropriate for this goal.

The original was capable of blood and bullet decals on the walls but it was proven to be too resource intensive on computers at the time. I don't know how you'd be able to replicate that.

Cyanosis said:

The original was capable of blood and bullet decals on the walls but it was proven to be too resource intensive on computers at the time. I don't know how you'd be able to replicate that.

I have no intention of adding decals. Remember, this project's primary goal is to recreate what Doom would've been like in 1993 following the original alpha plan for the game. The only features that will be added to the engine are features that would've been done anyway if the game had followed it's original plan. This won't be a strictly Tom Hall version of the game (though it will have much influence), the alpha versions themselves demonstrate some compromise.

This will primarily be based on the 0.4 version's plan, as the 0.5 version started to move further away from the original plan too much.

But technically, that was IDs original direction in the game, but due to software limitation, Doom is what you see today as The Ultimate Doom. As a matter of fact, the idea you are pushing here is actually the same idea that influenced the KDIZD project. It was created as "What would doom have looked like then if there was no software limitations." so you got KDIZD. Although, I understand completely what your trying to do here, but personally, i'm only concerned with the Alpha maps and graphics being finished and remade into a project. Whether it be zdoom or chocolate doom. However, in the eyes of Romero and Carmack, im sure it would have been pushed much further if not for hardware and software limitations of that time period.
like "TheSpazztikOne" and "Cyanosis" said in earlier posts, these are all things that ID originally had planned for the game. It would be interesting to see a project try to bring to life the original vibe and influences of Doom the way it was meant to be. But if your dead set on chocolate doom, then thats what you need to do!
Like I said, i'm only concerned with seeing the levels completed and the project fully playable. It certainly is a blast from the past.

Bumping again to beg for coders. This project really needs to have beta and alpha gameplay features ported over, and I am unable to do this myself. Seriously, is there anyone familiar with the alpha code through reverse engineering that would be willing to port some features over to a custom version of Chocolate Doom for this project?

I'm totally able to handle the rest of the project on my own, but my inability to code is a pretty big roadblock for this project. I am currently trying to learn C, but I'm not nearly proficient enough yet to work with the Doom code. I've tried several times to edit the source myself, but it's beyond me, honestly.

Really though, is there anyone at all that would be willing to be the engine coder for this? Most the features this project needs already exist in the prototype versions of Doom, all that needs to be done is having them ported to Chocolate Doom.

best to learn for this might be C++ since you also learn C
those extra things you learn might come handy

Sodaholic said:--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
DeimosKnight said:
stuff
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I highly doubt Doom was ever planned to have anything like that. There's not much point in using the Strife engine with my plans.
----------------------------------------------------------------

Wait a minute, Sodaholic. I didn't suggest you use the Strife engine, Marnetmar did! I only asked if you were going to have outdoor locations in your TC, and if you were going to create new bosses. Why is it that the content of what I say is designated as "stuff"!

Never mind. I guess my post was not quite clear in the first place. Carry on.

Where in the source code can I change the automap colors?

Also, I'm still working on this. I figured out that id intended the missile launcher to be shoulder-mounted, so that's what it'll be.