Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DuckReconMajor

Foods you have discovered are wonderful

Kind of a strange thread here, but what are some foods you have tried that you thought would be meh but turned out to be great? As a raving fatass I'm always trying new stuff, but recently came across a couple of good finds.

My mom bought these cracker nuts at an asian supermarket.

I thought they would taste like any snack they'd have lined up at the Wal-Mart registers, but they are delicious. It's like crispy sugar wafers wrapped around peanuts.

I went to see fireworks yesterday, and there was the ubiquitous 'deep fry whatever will fit in the fryer' stand. They had deep fried Oreos, which I hadn't seen before. I decide to try them, thinking they'd either be soggy or taste stale. Instead it was like a beignet with essence of Oreo inside. If only every Oreo could be more like that.

DuckReconMajor said:

I went to see fireworks yesterday, and there was the ubiquitous 'deep fry whatever will fit in the fryer' stand. They had deep fried Oreos, which I hadn't seen before. I decide to try them, thinking they'd either be soggy or taste stale. Instead it was like a beignet with essence of Oreo inside. If only every Oreo could be more like that.

EVERYTHING tastes better deep fried, EVERYTHING. It's a rule.

When I was in Japan, I was surprised to find that I really liked takoyaki, okonomiyaki, and deep fried lotus root. Heck, octopus in general was surprisingly delicious, as was eel sushi. I've also found that raw egg over hot white rice, chazuke, hard boiled egg with soy sauce, and roasted jalapeƱos with Sriracha sauce on them are all incredibly delicious foods.

Ah Sriacha sauce. I use it instead of Frank's Red Hot whenever possible. Found it to be too spicy at first, but then I got used to it.

Had some friends introduce me to Dosa:

The spicier, the better.

bro almost anything is good when you have the munchies

But being serious, it's kinda the other way around for me. I used to like beats and eggs, but I suddenly disliked them at an early age, when just before I enjoyed it. Meh, whatever...

Duck, olives and red\yellow\green paprikas. Not in that combination mind you. Never touched olives until 2 years ago, now I can make myself sick eating them. Discovered that duck can be quite delicious when I went eating at a real Chinese restaurant (none of that takeout shit). Parpikas... I dunno. I just started noticing how nice they are, and how they can flavour up certain dishes.

Habanero sauce.

Also, my personal blend of custom salsa that I may get some visuals of later tonight.

Fresh cut green peppers. Mmmmm. I used to hate peppers but as of late they're one of my favorite foods. Also I've recently become a fan of sweet relish. If there's no sauerkraut, I go right to the relish and mustard for my hot dog.

POTGIESSER said:

Had some friends introduce me to Dosa

Yes, Dosas are great. I first tried them at Singapore Airport (chosen at random from the menu), and have made a point of always getting one each time I have flown through there (or more than one for longer layovers). I also had one in Little India (Komala Vilas, I think), which was a much more rough-and-ready and messy affair - no knife and fork, not that they would have been much use anyway.

My local Indian happens to serve dosas, including the awesome paneer dosa. A little further away, Dosa King serves some huge dosas:

Trader Joe sells frozen dosas, which are rather more manageable.

At a cuban sandwich shop near where I live (authentic as well) there is a minced beef called picadillo that not only is sweet, it's spicy, and a bit savory too... it's the best damned thing I've seen done with beef. And that I've tasted.

Indian food. Seems that if you get it from the right places, it's surprisingly great. :P

Kimchi. Everybody hates the smell, even Koreans, but it tastes great and goes perfect with meat.

yukib1t said:

When I was in Japan, I was surprised to find that I really liked takoyaki, okonomiyaki, and deep fried lotus root. Heck, octopus in general was surprisingly delicious, as was eel sushi. I've also found that raw egg over hot white rice, chazuke, hard boiled egg with soy sauce, and roasted jalapeƱos with Sriracha sauce on them are all incredibly delicious foods.

Oh Japanese food is good, it always my favourite kind of cuisine other form Chinese food.

exl said:

Duck, olives and red\yellow\green paprikas. Not in that combination mind you. Never touched olives until 2 years ago, now I can make myself sick eating them. Discovered that duck can be quite delicious when I went eating at a real Chinese restaurant (none of that takeout shit). Parpikas... I dunno. I just started noticing how nice they are, and how they can flavour up certain dishes.

Do you mean Beijing roasted duck? Or baised one with a clay pot? I like to eat duck too.

Grazza said:

Yes, Dosas are great. I first tried them at Singapore Airport (chosen at random from the menu), and have made a point of always getting one each time I have flown through there (or more than one for longer layovers). I also had one in Little India (Komala Vilas, I think), which was a much more rough-and-ready and messy affair - no knife and fork, not that they would have been much use anyway.

In Telok Ayer Market(Located between Raffles Place and Tanjong Pagar)there's a lot of tasty satay to eat too. It's always my first place for dinner everytime I go to Singapore. Anyway Indian food is tasty, I like to eat curry.

For me, this kind of deep fried corn is always my favourite snack to eat:

Besides the snack I mentioned above, I still like to eat a lot of tasty chinese food from Guangdong, Beijing, Hangzhou, Shanghai etc. In my opinion Hangzhou food is the best, this resturant serves the best Hangzhou food, the steamed meat buns are delicious.

Daiyu_Xiaoxiang said:

In Telok Ayer Market(Located between Raffles Place and Tanjong Pagar)there's a lot of tasty satay to eat too. It's always my first place for dinner everytime I go to Singapore.

Yes, a good suggestion indeed. I've been there quite a few times, discovering, amongst other things, "stinky tofu".

Sadly, I now have little reason to visit Singapore. From the UK, it was a natural stopping point on the way to NZ/Aus, but from Minnesota it is pretty much the far side of the globe. :(

Xaser said:

Indian food. Seems that if you get it from the right places, it's surprisingly great. :P

Curry is teh win.

I hate all food, as it's a symbol of bodily oppression, and a sad reminder of my own mortality. Or something.

With that said, I've been surprised by how much I enjoy all sorts of sour, pickled, jarred fish, and moreso, pretty much anything else that has been pickled. I remember eating pickled herring when I was younger, and hating it. The same goes for pickled garlic.

That's until I was force-fed some pieces of a sour fish-thing at a family gathering a couple years ago. I eat a lot of the stuff now, as the taste has grown on me. So long as I'm not worried about controlling the odor, it's a nice treat. Not that it's something to snarf back every day.

On the same note, I've also been drinking a lot of these,

although I'm not a big fan of canned tea/iced tea. The fact that I can get a ~700ml can of it for under 50 cents is probably the biggest factor, though it doesn't taste like toilet water, at least. It's especially good for the (rare) times that I have to do a lot of manual labour, because it's not carbonated. Anything fizzy will usually give me a stomach ache if I drink it whilst sweating my ass off in the sun.

Grazza said:

Yes, a good suggestion indeed. I've been there quite a few times, discovering, amongst other things, "stinky tofu".

Sadly, I now have little reason to visit Singapore. From the UK, it was a natural stopping point on the way to NZ/Aus, but from Minnesota it is pretty much the far side of the globe. :(

Stinky Tofy, yummy! I always went to Singapore, it's boring to just staying in the city. So going to have lunch inside food courts of HDB flats is quite frequent, the price are cheaper but still delicious to eat.

So is there any good eating place in UK? I havn't leave Asia before so I may like to know something about Western countries.

Daiyu_Xiaoxiang said:

So is there any good eating place in UK? I havn't leave Asia before so I may like to know something about Western countries.

Most popular Restraunts are acutally oriental. So Chinese food restruants, etc.

The only thing the UK has of its own it Fish and Chips. And most of those now serve things like burgers also.

Sushi, before I went to Japan (and not long before I first went I had no intention of ever going) I'd never even thought about it. But thought as I was there I might as well do what is nessescary and was pleasantly surprised.

Mind you I'd had green tea ice cream the previous day and, well, wasabi looks similar. After doing so well with chopsticks I was immediately the baka gaijin again.

Also i'd hated the chicken my mum cooked for years because it was really dry. But I also like Reggae Reggae sauce. So I decided to combine them. Suddenly flavour!

Also shredded crispy duck and Hoi Sin sauce. Iceland (a shop, not the country!) do a "pack" with that and some thin pancake-like things to wrap it in. I think the first time I tried that it was because i'd actually accidentally picked it up instead of the thing next to it. Now I can't get enough!

Ah yeah Ostrich too. It has a wierd status in Britain, you hardly ever see it in shops but pretty much every market has at least one ostrich stall. Usually pretty expensive though.