Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DuckReconMajor

Foods you have discovered are wonderful

My friends from university and I go to an African restaurant in Kitchener every now and then. I think it's actually mostly Ethiopian food, but they serve a dish that's essentially heavily spiced, raw beef (whose name I forget right now). It's quite awesome...

i grow habaneros (mostly chocolate habs and scotch bonnets) and a friend of mine is sending me naga jolokia "ghost pepper" seeds straight from india so i can attempt to start a garden of them in florida.
foods that i have discovered are wonderful? peppers.
early in this thread someone mentioned frank's red hot...
that stuff tastes like water to me.
tabasco tastes like vinegar.
sriracha has a bit of heat but mostly tastes like garlic.
i make a hotsauce now from chocolate habs, liquid smoke, mustard flour, carrot, mango, garlic, and a touch of banana...i might start bottling it and selling it cos everyone keeps telling me it is the best hotsauce they've ever had (the people who can stand the very very spicy heat.)
i can't wait until i can use some nagas to make this sauce.
oh boy.

i've eaten nagas before, and it is pretty different than most peppers. almost as different as mustard is to chilli pepper.
different kind of heat.
no heat at first. and then it starts a fire in your stomach that slowly works its way up...
anyway.
just thought i'd share.
blame it on the beer.

similar to that rootbeer guy awhile back on this forum, if there are any chilli freaks here, lemme know. i might send you up a bottle. or some chocolate hab (originally from st. croix) or naga seeds.

@The Lag:

You and I have very similar tastes. I toss habaneros on everything when they're around. I recently got to try a ghost pepper. Holy crap those things are hot. I usually just poke around grocery stores looking for dried peppers to crush up and add spices for making chili.

I agree that red hot stuff is like water, and tabasco, while tasty is not hot at all. The weakest stuff I have right now is Blair's Sudden Death sauce, which is great.

I'd love to try a bottle of your stuff btw.

DoomHero85 said:

Anything covered in Wasabi.

Are you sure you've ever had some? Real wasabi is fairly expensive and won't be put on your plate at a sushi restaurant unless you specifically request it. What you've been served so far in your life is horseradish with green food colouring. I'm not joking. The Japanese call this combo "western wasabi."

Creaphis said:

Are you sure you've ever had some? Real wasabi is fairly expensive and won't be put on your plate at a sushi restaurant unless you specifically request it. What you've been served so far in your life is horseradish with green food colouring. I'm not joking. The Japanese call this combo "western wasabi."

As far as I can tell wasabi is more potent than horseradish. I can cover food in horseradish, but if I tried that with wasabi it just might kill me. :D

I'm not real crazy about hot sauces. But I like the original Dijon mustard, various salsas, and chutney (made from serrano peppers, mint, lemon/lime and vinegar).

@Creaphis: I know what we get isn't real wasabi, but I like the stuff we do get. Same with that Chinese mustard stuff that you get with egg rolls. I'll cover anything in that too. I've never had the "real" wasabi as it probably is out of my price range right now. I'll have to to try it some day. Have you had it? What's it taste like?

I haven't discovered anything recently but over the past few years I never thought I'd like jalapeno peppers or green bell peppers

Anything flavored with lychee. Or just fresh lychee. I don't know why you can't get this flavor easily outside of Asia. It's amazingly tasty.

Also, ginger ice cream.