Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DoomsterHamster

Prboom 2.50 Newbie Question -- Multiplayer

Hey there Doomworlders,

I'm an avid Doom/Doom II player, using Prboom 2.50 on a Mac (10.411 OSX). I've been using it to play Doom I, II, and all sorts of wads (Eternal, etc).

I would like to now use it now to play one-on-one, remotely, with another Mac user (same Prboom version, same OSX). Unfortunately I've gone through all the readmes, documentation, 'Man' pages (http://pwet.fr/man/linux/jeux/prboom),etc., and can't find clear instructions on how to tell Prboom that I want to use my computer to host a multiplayer game. Is this possible with PrBoom for a Mac? If so, can a kind DoomWorlder explain how this is done or point me to a helpful URL that gives instructions?

Mind you I never did much multiplayer Doom playing back in the nineties when I got into Doom, so I'm a bit rusty on how it's supposed to work at all.

Thanks!
D.H.

I don't know about Mac OSX, but on Windows PrBoom and PrBoom-Plus come with a server program (prboom-plus_server.exe).

Honestly though, I think you should use another source port for multi player. While fantastic for single player, PrBoom is not very good for multi player. It tends to lag, even on LAN.

I believe ZDoom or Skulltag can be run under Mac OSX though, which I think would be a better way to go.

Have not figured out multi-player on prboom 2.5 either, and I do not have Mac. So this is not going to be much help there.

On the other hand, we have DoomLegacy 1.43 which supported Mac (doing endian conversion), and has multi-player. I heard it mostly worked on Macs of that age. The new DoomLegacy 1.44 alpha2 has updated support for Mac, but we do not have any Mac developers to test it. If you were willing to try it, you would have to compile from source.
The new Mac machines do not need endian conversion, so there should be fewer compilation issues now.
(update 7/9/2011: having reviewed some of the bug reports, we really need someone to debug DoomLegacy on Mac OSX)

I've used prboom-plus for multiplayer on a LAN under Windows. You start the server on one machine, and then join the server on that same machine and on another machine. It worked fine, but I understand that for online play it doesn't work so well. I don't know if the Mac version even has an equivalent of the server. Neil seems to be the guy who handles the Mac side of Prboom-plus.

And please upgrade to Prboom-plus. Really, it is the current line of development of the project, and has so many improvements, bug fixes and compatibility improvements that it is rather painful to think that some people are still using regular Prboom. The Mac package can be found here.

Though Entryway himself will tell you to use the old PrBoom for multiplayer.

Great batch of info from everyone, thanks so far.

Since I keep reading how iffy PrBoom is for multiplayer, I've gone ahead and since downloaded doomsday engine and odamex to experiment with for multiplayer purposes, so I'll report back on progress when I have time to mess around with them. I'll also look into the other options mentioned (legacy, etc).

I'll also take Grazza's advice and try out PrBoom plus, thanks Grazza.

Mike.Reiner -- I do remember seeing a prboom-server file within the Mac PrBoom 2.50 file-set and I tried using it. But when I clicked it, it opened the same PrBoom front-end with the same info in the console without any kind of extra multiplayer settings or anything. I'll try again tonight.

Thanks to all so far for the fast and useful feedback.

Best,
D.H.

Currently trying Odamex. Skulltag won't work on my 10.4 PowerPC -- throws an "architecture not supported error". Odamex 0.5.3 looks nice and streamlined and I'm prepared to test it online, but I have 8 bit only screen mode as the only option, the graphics are very chunky & the frame rate is choppy. I can be okay with this (seems like I have no other options), but oddly when I looked up some videos on youtube of people using Odamex on mac OSx the graphics looked superior to what I'm able to get.

Thanks so far folks,
DH

Yeah it would seem most Mac software these days favor the newer Intel CPUs they come with these days. Bummer, but it does make Macs more attractive to develop for I imagine.

The biggest problem with old PowerPC processors (or the even older Motorola 68000 -- does anyone still use those?) is that endianness is different. That requires putting endianness macros everywhere in the code. Though it should still work since I remember Randy and Blzut debugging endianness issues on the Mac side of ZDoom (and therefore Skulltag).

DoomsterHamster said:

Currently trying Odamex. Skulltag won't work on my 10.4 PowerPC -- throws an "architecture not supported error". Odamex 0.5.3 looks nice and streamlined and I'm prepared to test it online, but I have 8 bit only screen mode as the only option, the graphics are very chunky & the frame rate is choppy. I can be okay with this (seems like I have no other options), but oddly when I looked up some videos on youtube of people using Odamex on mac OSx the graphics looked superior to what I'm able to get.

Thanks so far folks,
DH

The Odamex Mac releases are always built with the 10.4 SDK and are always universal binaries. You should find the ppc support to be completely comparable to the Intel support. Endianness is not an issue.

If you are finding the graphics to be of a lower quality than a video of Odamex running on Mac, or any other platform for that matter, it is likely due to a change in default settings in the last few releases. Try pulling down the console with the '~' key and typing:

r_detail 0
That should bring it to par with the videos you have seen. We are discussing what this settings default will be in future releases.