Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
888mikem888

Pain sound editing

Hi, I have a set of pain (Grunt from hit) sound effects for the doom guy made and I know how to change his pain noise but I was wondering how to set it so that he makes multiple pain noises and how to set it he only makes certian noises depending how much damaga he lost. For example, say if the player was hit by an Imp fire ball, he makes a grunt noise (One of maybe 2-3 set up), but if he gets hit directly by a Mancubas fire ball, he makes a louder scream or something like that. I know this is some pretty advanced stuff but any help would be appreciated.

You're going to need to look into ZDoom's SNDINFO lump to pull this off. It's actually quite easy as there are sample definitions at the bottom of the article for doing just this:

http://zdoom.org/wiki/SNDINFO

Other source ports might have other ways of doing it, but this will work for ZDoom, Skulltag, ZDaemon, and whatever other ports out there that support SNDINFO.

Edit: Sorry, I misread your post. You want it depending on how much health lost, not based upon how much health you currently have. So, yeah, no clue then. :D

EarthQuake said:

Sorry, I misread your post. You want it depending on how much health lost, not based upon how much health you currently have. So, yeah, no clue then. :D

Well I'll go for what you gave me, thanks :)

There is a way, I can't remember it though. Someone once told me on here that there is a coding for setting numerous results to occur depending on a set number of events.

For instance if health bonuses collected = 80% it displays a certain message, if 60% another one. I can't remember what it is called but you could use a similar script perhaps on determining what attacks cause different pain responses.

888mikem888 said:

I was wondering how to set it so that he makes multiple pain noises and how to set it he only makes certian noises depending how much damaga he lost. For example, say if the player was hit by an Imp fire ball, he makes a grunt noise (One of maybe 2-3 set up), but if he gets hit directly by a Mancubas fire ball, he makes a louder scream or something like that.

Your best bet would be to define custom damage types for specific monster attacks (There's an example in EarthQuake's linked page). Lowering the player's Painchance would allow Doomguy to shrug off some attacks.