Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Bucket

Miracles of science!

I always thought it was weird how the lukewarm orange goo inside a taco has the exact temperature needed to be completely undetected by human skin as it drips down my hand and all the way to my elbow.

What miracles of science have you experienced lately?

We had some heavy rain right before my latest rafting trip down the Delaware River about a month ago, which basically resulted in a Willy Wonka chocolate river. I accidentally swallowed a mouthful of bilgewater, got some kind of parasite, lost about 10 pounds, and somehow felt great for weeks, like that episode of Futurama when Fry eats a vending machine sandwich.

I just invented a blunt object using a rock and stick. I used it today to crack the skull of a Gazelle. Sadly, the raw flesh was too tough for me to chew. I'll work on solving that problem tomorrow.

I think toilets are sum kinda gawdamn miracle. I love my toilet and consider it a member of my family.

Did I ever tell ya about the time I shit in The Golden Bear's toilet? It was a lovely toilet so I remembered to flush upon leaving.

whooosh

I put a fair bit of ice in my beverages today. Freezer tech was a great addition to the kitchenware class.

Megalyth said:

like that episode of Futurama when Fry eats a vending machine sandwich.

Favourite episode right there

I marvel at the precision engineering in electric kettles - which in my household invariably fail shortly after the warranty's expired.

Science is an evil cult designed to distract children from their lord and savior Jesus Christ.

Now excuse me, I need to go out for my Chemotherapy.

At work the other day one of the autoclaves developed a dodgy valve, so that the steam would constantly escape from the chamber and the water would boil away and expose the element (making it cut off) before it had reached operating temperature.
BUT the stuff in it was vital and the engineer always takes several days to come, so I had to work out how to stop it boiling dry. I filled up a bottle with water and quickly put it on the grating neck-downwards. The water in that place was just above the grating, so the water in the bottle couldn't escape. But once the thing was running and the level went down the water would slowly run out and "refill" the tank until the cycle had run properly.

Sometimes when I'm having trouble getting asleep, I play some music. However, the only headphones I have at the moment are pretty bulky, for heavy duty desktop use, none of that flimsy earbud crap. I always sleep on my side so it's hard to fall asleep with the headphones on. But, they're collapsible and I can have them lying beside me with the speakers facing outwards. With sufficient volume I can hear the music without having to wear anything on my head.

I was out earlier and this strange flying metal thing passed over me with a giant roar. Reminded me of the airplanes we have back on earth.

In my lab earlier I managed to cobble together a functional soul from some consciousness, a couple of emotions and some scraps from a half-built poltergeist I kind of gave up on.

Creaphis said:

In my lab earlier I managed to cobble together a functional soul from some consciousness, a couple of emotions and some scraps from a half-built poltergeist I kind of gave up on.

That's not science.

exp(x) said:

That's not science.

Tell that to Paul Giamatti. I mean fictionalized Giamatti. Soul trafficking is a viable threat and I hope Creaphis isn't lending any measure of seriousness toward such a venture.

Nobody would want mine, anyway. Tests show it resembles more of a squashed fig than the standard cloud or Cicer arietinum. I guess that accounts for a lot.

I'm sorry what were we talking about?

Bucket said:

Ten seconds ago, I experienced an abnormal will to urinate, just as I read the contents of this thread, but in a very quick move, I started thinking about dead cats, dead grandmas and all sad things in life and managed to hold myself.

That's science right? The power of the mind...

Watching the shuttle perform it's swan song made me feel a little sad yet the scientific and engineering accomplishment of sending people into space never ceases to amaze me. I can't help but notice people have become a little blasé about it all.

cbronson said:

dead cats

Well thank you very much for reminding me of the dead cat I saw a couple of weeks ago on a road in Ærø while on the 790 bus. That's my day ruined. :(

DoomUK said:

Watching the shuttle perform it's swan song made me feel a little sad yet the scientific and engineering accomplishment of sending people into space never ceases to amaze me. I can't help but notice people have become a little blasé about it all.

As the American "empire" turns into itself with this, it's not long until we fall.

Or something.

I'm sure Richard Branson can save us.

Richard Branson just like playing with big, shiny toys. :p

Due to circumstances mostly out of my control, my left eye is currently filled with liquid silicone instead of vitreous. That was an interesting thing to watch happen.

Creaphis said:

You can keep your abomination of nature the paranormal! I'll settle for sliced bread that doesn't land butter-side-down when dropped, that'd be a true miracle of science.

Scientific research astounded me a week or two ago.

Turns out the loudest creature on earth, relative to its size, is a tiny species of water boat man beetle. It produces over 90dB of sound when it stridulates... by rubbing its penis against its abdomen. Imagine if you deafened the entire planet when you had a wank. That's the rough equivilant of what that beetle is doing.

When I discovered and studied about 4th Dimension. I read about it at all Internet pages which I really enjoyed reading it :).

Phobus said:

Scientific research astounded me a week or two ago.

Turns out the loudest creature on earth, relative to its size, is a tiny species of water boat man beetle. It produces over 90dB of sound when it stridulates... by rubbing its penis against its abdomen. Imagine if you deafened the entire planet when you had a wank. That's the rough equivilant of what that beetle is doing.

If you could "like" posts in this forum, this one would deserve it.

Bucket said:

That the human brain is capable of topics like this.

evolution of the eye can be followed during the growt of a human inside a pregnant lady.

this evolution can also be followed by studying bacteria, microbes, insects, what ever