Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
DoomUK

Super Street Fighter IV Arcade Edition

So while I wait for a PC release of Mortal Kombat 9 to get the green light I decided to give this a whirl.

It's a blast. I haven't bothered counting how many characters are available in total but there's a shitload been added since vanilla SFIV. Brand new bonus stages and a bunch of new arenas and outfits, too. Not being a SF purist, I'm bothered by why there's no tag team mode or some kind of "quest" campaign mode but nevertheless it's the most comprehensive release of SFIV to date.

If you like fighting games, you like SF and you haven't yet played SFIV I'd definitely say give it a try. If you played SFIV and liked it, then this is worth the investment.

Technician said:

Please tell me you use a gamepad.

But of course. Playing fighting games (and racing/driving games) with mouse + keyboard is as awkward as playing FPSs and RTSs with a gamepad. Fact.

Gamepads are terrible for fighting games. You'll have only your thumb for attacks which means less speed/dexterity AND you'll only have your other thumb for movement which means less accuracy. Keyboard isn't perfect thanks to keys getting jammed on bad models and the awkwardness of some special moves (6,2,3,6 is a prime example), but at least you'll have much better overall precision and speed thanks to being able to use multiple fingers.

Of course, the best way to play fighting games is with a good stick: You'll get the attack precision and speed of a keyboard, good movement accuracy and dexterity thanks to using a whole hand instead of a thumb and the technical superiority of a stick (compared to a keyboard).

But gamepads...terrible. Terrible terrible terrible.

I'm actually better at fighting games with a keyboard than I am with my arcade stick, in some cases - at least as far as the King of Fighters series in MAME goes.

Jodwin said:

Of course, the best way to play fighting games is with a good stick

*pats his microswitch-based 1995 arcade joystick*

It's true, nothing beats a good joystick for fighting games. But I'm the kind of guy who doesn't want an abundance of peripherals and other stuff surrounding my desk, especially ones that I only ever use occasionally. So a 360 pad* suffices.

*Best gamepads on the market, you can berate until your heart is content.