Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Blastfrog

Was Strife ever intended to be larger/more complex?

The reason I ask is because there's tons of unused resources in the IWAD, like unused character dialogue mugshots, unused character dialogue in the voices file (example: Rowan would call the guards on you originally if you kept talking to him after your mission with him is done, but this was never implemented, so the dialogue was dropped).

The prisoners originally had sound recordings for dialogue screens, along with mugshot images. (you can still find those in the IWAD) Rowan apparently had a completely different name at some point (something like Retrick I think), there were 5 peasant mugshot images that were cut, so on and so on. There are even unused ambient sounds, like the tavern sounds (glasses clacking and people talking), probably would've been used in the tavern, but was removed for some reason.

Strangely, the tavern seems like it was a main focus of MAP02. Being that it had many resources made specifically for it (like mentioned above, some cut), and the music is D_TAVERN IIRC.

Bit of random speculation here: I think that the player was originally going to start somewhere in MAP01 (about to be killed by some guards), because of the fact that that's the first map, and that Harris mentions that it's the Order's unofficial torture chamber (seems like an appropriate place to bring someone that they're about to kill).

I think that it's mostly the atmosphere, but I swear, it feels like it was supposed to be a much more epic and detailed game, but they rushed it.

Sodaholic said:

it was supposed to be a much more epic and detailed game, but they rushed it.

This sentence basically describes every Doom engine game.

Sodaholic said:

but I swear, it feels like it was supposed to be a much more epic and detailed game, but they rushed it.

More than it already is? I think it has enough plot and detail for being such a niche and derivative shooter. What you're describing there sounds more like usual content that gets dummied out to trim the low-quality parts away.

Sodaholic said:

it feels like it was supposed to be a much more epic and detailed game, but they rushed it.

This sentence basically describes every game. We can't all be Duke Nukem Forever.

On a serious note though, with video games being a rather new industry, project scope is usually reduced quite a bit in the process of development. Moreso then than now.

Some features we know were cut:

• Dynamically changing music: There are implemented line types to change the music, and most of the music lump names indicate that they were composed to cover certain emotional situations (D_TENSE, D_DARK, D_DARKER, D_FAST, etc). and NOT for particular levels. The reason it was cut? Rogue found out that music changes wouldn't survive through savegames, and either didn't know how to fix it or couldn't be arsed (such a fix was in BOOM and was actually relatively simple, consisting of saving the "idmusnum" and restoring it at load time).
  • Moveable pushwalls: Peter Mack started trying to add moving walls in imitation of Hexen and Wolf3D, and line type 666 still exists in the commercial version which will shift a line a few units back. However, he admitted to Kaiser that he didn't really have a clue what he was doing and had to abandon it.
  • Automap objective markers. The mysterious objects 9001 through 9011 which are still recognized by the map loader correspond directly to some dead code in the automap code which reserves as many markers on the automap as were present in the map at load time (the code is half-completed and is non-functional even in the demo version). Most likely, these were going to be to point out the location of objectives dynamically.
  • More maps: This is conjectural but I have noticed that the architecture of some areas in a few of the maps is suggestive that there may have been entrances to other maps that were never completed. One such is in the Factory: Forge, which, as is, is a nearly useless map that you can ignore entirely and come out ahead on average - on the higher difficulties you will lose far more health in here than you stand to gain even by finding all the secrets. This place almost certainly was going to have a purpose.
  • More quests: There is a character in the Commons who, when talked to, tells you he is doing nothing and not to bother him. He even has a name. Yet, he is worthless and does nothing during the whole game. Something got cut here for sure. Also, once you're in the final hub, the game basically goes from adventure to straight action and starts to just feel like a DOOM clone. The end was definitely rushed.
  • Cooperative Mode: Rogue started out supporting it; much of the code in the game still gives objectives and items to all players in the game (and in some cases to players NOT in the game...), and many of the maps have the four standard and in some cases even the full 8 cooperative map starts.
  • Capture the Chalice Mode: A different form of multiplayer rather than coop or deathmatch.

Maybe the Doom community should do some new Strife mod with all of those features and extras then. ZStife, or Boom Strife, or whatever.

I may yet still produce a "Strife Plus" branch from Chocolate Strife which does basic limit removal and *possibly* adds some new features compatible with the vanilla Strife feature set, such as making those unfinished items actually work.

Quasar said:

Also, once you're in the final hub, the game basically goes from adventure to straight action and starts to just feel like a DOOM clone. The end was definitely rushed.

Not that I complain... It was one of the most intense moments from the game really, and it often was very challenging, because by that time, health was starting to run out and you were being bludgeoned by Cyberdemon-expy Inquisitors and by your own HE grenades... I thought it's common for action RPGs that the last part is pure action, because by that point you're supposed to know what to do, and the opposition is supposed to be the toughest too, giving you no pause.

I assume the final part of Strife begins with the Proving Grounds, right?

printz said:

Not that I complain... It was one of the most intense moments from the game really, and it often was very challenging, because by that time, health was starting to run out and you were being bludgeoned by Cyberdemon-expy Inquisitors and by your own HE grenades... I thought it's common for action RPGs that the last part is pure action, because by that point you're supposed to know what to do, and the opposition is supposed to be the toughest too, giving you no pause.

I assume the final part of Strife begins with the Proving Grounds, right?

Really the story gets sparse after you kill Macil. Richter is the last person you actually talk to in order to get any form of objective; the rest are handed down remotely to you by Blackbird, meaning you have no reason to do any backtracking and no new faces to meet.