Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
888mikem888

Carrying Med Packs

I had an idea for DooM. I recently discovered that in ZDoom you can carry ITEMS and use them when ever you want. Is there a way to make it when you pick up Med Packs, instead of it healing you instantly, it is put in your invitory and you can use it when ever you want.

This sounds pretty fancy but it seems like there's a way to do it.

I see. So, do I change the script from the med packs to this?

Sorry if I'm being a moron, I just want to make sure I'm getting it right.

ZDoom allows you to use items from other games if you supply the graphics for them in your PWAD. You might also have to do this for the inventory graphics too (like the selection box). If you want to have the [reskinned] flask replace the medikit, for instance, you'd need to supply a DECORATE definition that does so. Alternatively, you could just modify the medikit to be an inventory item, again through DECORATE.

Ok, so I'm really slow in the brain. Could you tell me step by step how to do this?

So I create a new DECORATE in the Doom2.WAD and I take the script from the flask?

**EDIT**

Sorry, I should be more specific, I want to change that Med Pack to an invitory item. I don't want to add a whole new item.

First up, never modify your IWADs. That is what PWADS (patch wads) are for. You put your lumps and such inside your PWAD, load those, and they "replace" certain things that are loaded from the IWAD.

The next thing you need to do is mosey on over to the ZDoom wiki and read up about DECORATE. DECORATE is a text file you insert into your PWAD that contains definitions used to both override existing Doom definitions, and create new ones. I'm not giving a step-by-step explanation because you should learn how to do this yourself, and I'm not well versed in DECORATE in the first place.

All things in every game have their own DECORATE definition, and you can view the default definition by looking at the corresponding article on the ZDoom wiki for that thing. You would then start writing your OWN definitions in your OWN DECORATE lump inside your OWN wad. These definitions can be for new items/monsters/weapons, or they can be used to modify existing ones, which is what you want in this case. Start by looking at the medikit's definition on the wiki and read up on replacing existing actors (using the "replaces" keyword).

You need a tool that can view/edit the contents of a WAD file. I would suggest Slade3 or XWE.

No worries, just don't expect people to do the work for you. It's always better to attempt to learn this stuff on your own, and then ask questions if you have a specific problem.

Don't be afraid to use the Wiki\Forum search functions either, and those can be really helpful to you as well.

Well I have one question since I'm here. I created a new DECORATE and I took a Med Pack item pick up script from the ZDoom web site (A script from Strife), and I searched around for a while but I can't figure out how to make it so that it replaces the normal Med Kit.

I have kind of an idea, I think. I've seen in scripts with replacing player classes, but can that same kind of thing be done with one specific item?

You don't need to use scripts. You just need to use the 'replaces' keyword, as mentioned earlier here. I agree you should use the wiki to learn this stuff yourself, but this might point you in the right direction:

actor MediCarry : ArtiHealth replaces Medikit
{
  -FLOATBOB
  -COUNTITEM
  Inventory.PickupSound "misc/health_pkup"
  Inventory.Icon MEDIA0
  Inventory.PickupMessage "Picked up a portable medikit."
  States
  {
  Spawn:
    MEDI A -1
    Stop
  }
}
Just put that in your DECORATE lump and it'll replace all of the medikits with a version that you can carry around.

The most important stuff is all in the first line; a new actor is defined as MediCarry, and it inherits its properties from the Heretic health flask, while replacing the Doom Medikit. Aside from that, it needs to point to the Doom graphics instead of the Raven ones, and the spawn state is now set static. Every other change is minor.

There's also a portable health kit at Realm667 I believe. At least it's in Scalliano's 667 Shuffle.