Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Rizera

The amazing "identify that Doom song" thread.

The song D_OBLVN (boss song) from the first ZDCMP, the credits says Epic Megagames, but from what game is it exactly?

Has anybody ever figured out Map17 of DWANGO6? This has me and my uncle stumped....sounds like something out of an RPG game...

EDIT: Also, the Doom Wiki states that this song is a remix of "Facing the Spider" but I just do not see any resemblance at all. Mislabel?

Cell said:

Identify Squadron.wad's MAP10 music's real origin, 'cause that isn't the song for what is it declared.

That? Claims to be "Down In It" from NIN, but actually it's exactly the same MUS lump as in DWANGO5's MAP13. Which the wiki lists as a MIDI version of "Last" by Nine Inch Nails.

Seems to fit.

Ribbiks said:

it's a poor man's rendition of "Come Out and Play" by The Offspring.

Thanks. I even like that midi, it's catchy.

Odd, my copy of 1monster (from idgames) has the same music on MAP05 and 11, no trace of that Heretic one

EDIT: Yet I open MAP11 in PrBoom+ and there's the Heretic music. Interesting. Time for some investigation

Eris Falling said:

Odd, my copy of 1monster (from idgames) has the same music on MAP05 and 11, no trace of that Heretic one

Mine too, apparently.

MAP05 is a MIDI of "Zombie" by The Cranberries, heard it somewhere else not too long ago.

BTW, interesting note in 1monster, there's two D_SHAWN entries. :)

Thanks.
Just listened to the actual song. I miss the violin, heh

EDIT: Gez's note below about MAP07 being from Descent and the note of there being 2 D_SHAWNS fit together quite well: In both PrBoom+ and ZDoom, the standard Doom II music plays.
Great work to whoever did that.

MAP05 appears to be a MIDI rendition of the Cranberries' old tube, "Zombies".

My CRC32 matching tool tells me that two other songs are identical to lbdwango mus lumps. Turns out they are Sinister (MAP09), and Dark Halls (MAP13). Why did they copy those from some strange PWAD out there instead of taking them directly from the original IWAD, I have no idea. (There's some slight differences compared to the IWAD originals, probably the outcome of being MUS2MIDIed and MIDI2MUSed back and forth a hundred thousand times because old Doom editing tools were kinda retarded about that. (And it annoys me because it foils my identification system based on comparing checksums.))

MAP07 is Descent's Lunar Military Base, but it has suffered a lot in the conversion.

1monster tracks that need to be identified:
* MAP03
* MAP10
* MAP14
* MAP24

D2ST8 is Descent of course.

I must be getting old, but I find it funny that people can fail to recognize NIN or Descent mids.

peach freak said:

Has anybody ever figured out Map17 of DWANGO6? This has me and my uncle stumped....sounds like something out of an RPG game...

EDIT: Also, the Doom Wiki states that this song is a remix of "Facing the Spider" but I just do not see any resemblance at all. Mislabel?

Memfis said:

I found [1 Monster MAP10's MIDI]: http://midi.thehylia.com/midifiles/saturn/house-of-the-dead/boss.mid
Sounds somewhat different from the original: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6kQcdo770RM

That's because the MIDI is misidentified; it's actually from a Japanese freeware shoot-'em-up called Another Zero, which was released in 2001. The track itself is called "LAST FIGHT", and its internal info includes "ZeroIN" and "composed by Daisuke" (which is not the name of The House of the Dead's composer). Another Zero's site has been dead for ages, but you can find the game itself with the right Google search.