Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Rizera

The amazing "identify that Doom song" thread.

9 hours ago, Bashe said:

I think I might have a lead on this one. I was sifting through a midi archive in an attempt to source some other elusive tracks, and I played a file called ANOTHER1.mid that sounds just like the midis from those two Dwango maps. However, this supposed "original" version sounds much different in that all the instruments are playing together right from the outset, whereas the Dwango versions seem to delay the accompaniments before they eventually play together. Unsure if that's an artifact of conversion or an intentional edit.

I found a driver package through Google for something called Kurzweil (looks like a synthesizer of sorts), and in the zip file was ANOTHER1.mid, dated 1992. This leads me to believe that ANOTHER1.mid was some sort of sample track for showing off the hardware, which has been discussed in this thread numerous times before. The metadata for the midi doesn't provide anything useful unfortunately.

These are originally from various products by Midisoft / Music Technology Associates. ANOTHER1.MID is also included with Midisoft Recording Session as one of the demo tracks.

I'm not sure where these longer versions originate, but:

http://www.shitposting.pro/g/GMDANC00.MID

http://www.shitposting.pro/g/GMDANC10.MID

http://www.shitposting.pro/g/GMDANC30.MID

None of these have a composer name in them, but this readme credits GMDANC00.MID to Tracy Hurst, a Midisoft employee at the time.

On 9/8/2019 at 11:10 AM, JudgeDeadd said:

Two songs in Don't Be A Bitch Remastered remain unidentified, the map11 music and the title screen music. Does anyone recognize them? 

UPDATE: I was able to source the one that also got used in Mega Trickster's Mistake. It's called TECHRAP.mid and was composed by Kevin Newman in 1995. According to this video, it was a sample song for a set of Gravis Ultrasound patches

Apologies for double-posting again (Thanks @Revenant :)) but I wanted to share some more updates from my several arduous trawls through old midi archives.

E2MUSIC E2M6 and E2M9 (also in Mr. Smiley Head, Heroes etl al.) I was able to find in an old zip file titled "jamie.arj" from 1993. This posting by James Andrews, who made the midis, describes what's in the archive. AMBIENT2.mid is E2M6, and MOTHER.mid is E2M9. The metadata shows that these were made with Power Chords.

E2MUSIC E2M4 I found as SENTIN.mid. Metadata shows it titled "Sentinel" and copyright 1993 BowRad Limited. Google shows nothing useful in regards to that name, so no leads on who wrote it.

Map14 of HEROES2.wad is FLESH.mid by Twilight Zone member Wonder, the same composer responsible for TZ_THEME.mid from before. This archive contains the midi, and its NFO denotes it's a Twilight Zone remix of the song "Flesh" by A Split Second.

DWANGO6 intermission I found as WATCHERS.mid. According to this document, it's part of a Roland Sound Canvas demo series. It's called "Watchers" and was composed by Mitsuru Sakaue. @Doomkid was right on the money.

Osiris' intermission midi I think has been asked about before in this thread. I was first able to find it as WHOKNOWS.mid, but some further searching led me to the original MOD version that was used for a 1990 Amiga music disk by The Crusaders. It's simply titled "Who Knows" and was written by Seppo Hurme, aka Fleshbrain. It's quite a lot better as a MOD actually :V

Edited by Bashe : added link for jamie.arj

13 minutes ago, Bashe said:

Osiris' intermission midi I think has been asked about before in this thread. I was first able to find it as WHOKNOWS.mid, but some further searching led me to the original MOD version that was used for a 1990 Amiga music disk by The Crusaders. It's simply titled "Who Knows" and was written by Seppo Hurme, aka Fleshbrain. It's quite a lot better as a MOD actually :V

Damn, I could have answered that one immediately if I'd seen the request :) Fleshbrain is one of my favorite Amiga musicians.

I'm excited to see most of E2MUSIC finally identified. Thank you @omomo for not letting me give up on this one!

If I had a way to only search for midis dating about 1997 and back, I'd have an easier time in identifying the midi group I'm currently stuck on. I know there's still a lot of midis packs out there (including one with like 130000 or something) but I just don't know if I have the patience to exhaustively check it out. I want to at least keep looking through older, smaller archives preserved in time on the web if nothing else.

48 minutes ago, Bashe said:

I was able to find in an old zip file titled "jamie.arj" from 1993.

Where?

Right here. Just some kind of old ftp archive of midi stuffs. This was one of many like it that I went through during this week.

Excellent job, Bashe and Revenant! The gap of knowledge of the Dwango soundtrack shrinks ever smaller!

What I find funny is that GMDANC00, GMDANC10, GMDANC30 and ANOTHER1 are all slight variants of the same thing, and likewise, the versions from Dwango1 and Dwango5 are also both completely different and unique remixes unto themselves, coming to a total of 6 versions of the same MIDI.. Why in the name of balls was this song remixed so much?

Not exactly sure where the specific remixes for the Dwango versions come from or if indeed their differences are artifacts of a bad MUS conversion, or maybe even remixes by some Doomer prior to compilation. Not sure, but so glad the seemingly original version (based on the numbering scheme) and composer are now known.

Only 3 songs to go - Dwango10 Map10, DCDwango Map14 and DwangoX Map12. I have a strong suspicion they're going to show up too. These discoveries have totally inspired me to rummage more, hot damn!

Edited by Doomkid

Need to identify
-D_E1M3 from HEROES.wad
-D_THEDA3 and D_EVIL from REVENGER.wad

D_EVIL is the same as DWANGO7 MAP01: "The Twilight Zone Theme" by Markus Schille (The Wonder).

No relation with the Twilight Zone TV series; it was a demo group.

Edited by Gez

About Heroes E1M3 track, it was used here and there; Diabolos, Pazuzu; in 131.wad it is on MAP08 and the text file says: "John B. Williston - Sewers of Doom". For other tracks there is clearly a band and a title, like "Pantera - Becoming". Does it mean John B. Williston composed it or was it only used there for the first time? Doomkid commented that he was the man behind WAD Author, I joined here too late to know all this history.

Please, the music that plays in map 06 of Ghostbusters Doom, where is it from and what is it called?

On 7/2/2020 at 5:53 AM, D1m3 said:

Need to identify
-D_THEDA3 and D_EVIL from REVENGER.wad

D_THEDA3 is a MIDI of "Rock Me Amadeus" by Falco.

On 7/3/2020 at 6:46 AM, vdgg said:

About Heroes E1M3 track, it was used here and there; Diabolos, Pazuzu; in 131.wad it is on MAP08 and the text file says: "John B. Williston - Sewers of Doom". For other tracks there is clearly a band and a title, like "Pantera - Becoming". Does it mean John B. Williston composed it or was it only used there for the first time? Doomkid commented that he was the man behind WAD Author, I joined here too late to know all this history.

If @Phileosophos ever comes back online, maybe he could solve this mystery once and for all? It's been 10 months since he was last online, which isn't that long in terms of oldschool Doom alums, so maybe he'll show up and lay this one to rest.

Just stopping in to share a few more discoveries in what was likely my last excursion for a while.

E2MUSIC E2M2 seems to be a file called "sound of the middle east.mid" Google doesn't yield much of interest except a link to it via bitmidi, and the metadata has nothing useful. I found it in that behemoth 130000 midi collection from archive.org. This one must have a shorter filename somewhere because it's from the early 90s, but I have no idea where to start.

Doom 2 Xtreme map13 I found as manuever.mid in ArtScene's library. It's called "Dangerous Maneuvers" and was written by Ozzie F. Talamann in 1995. Google has nothing on this composer unfortunately.

Earlier in the thread, someone asked about the origin of Vex Doom map04. I found that as die-reznor.mid on ArtScene as well. "Die Reznor," written by Troy Martin in 1997.

Heroes 2 map25 is BIGCITY.mid, done by MTA in 1992. Another ArtScene discovery. Not sure who MTA is.

The music from rip7.wad is titled MTNBIKES.mid, which I found in the 130000 archive.org collection. This is one of those Passport Design midis, like PASSPORT.mid and CANYON.mid. Using archive.org to go to their old midi archive page, there's some variants of MTNBIKES that are shorter, but "Mountain Bikes" seems to be the prevailing theme.

Having gone through several massive collections of midis has left me exhausted. I'm going to take a break for a while, and hopefully later I'll be able to find some more leads.

4 hours ago, Bashe said:

Heroes 2 map25 is BIGCITY.mid, done by MTA in 1992. Another ArtScene discovery. Not sure who MTA is.

MTA is Music Technology Associates, which had some connection to Midisoft. The same readme I found the "Dance Party" credits in also credits this one (as GMBIGC*.MID) to the same author, Tracy Hurst.

On 7/8/2020 at 7:48 AM, Bashe said:

E2MUSIC E2M2 seems to be a file called "sound of the middle east.mid" Google doesn't yield much of interest except a link to it via bitmidi, and the metadata has nothing useful. I found it in that behemoth 130000 midi collection from archive.org. This one must have a shorter filename somewhere because it's from the early 90s, but I have no idea where to start. 

SOLVED

I figure I may as well list this unkown track as well: Dwango20 Map07

Finally found it.. it’s called Harleys and Indians. 

4 minutes ago, Gez said:
  • D_THEDA2

Metallica - Creeping Death

7 minutes ago, Gez said:
  • D_STALKS

Sir Mix-A-Lot - Baby Got Back

Thanks!

3 minutes ago, Revenant said:

Sir Mix-A-Lot - Baby Got Back

Given the title of the level it's used in, I should have guessed. :p

57 minutes ago, Gez said:

100LinesN:

• D_SHAWN 

Nine Inch Nails - The Perfect Drug

Wow, I saw that the DWANGO6 intermission song was finally discovered. Do we have the link to the MIDI archive site it may be posted up on?

Edited by peach freak

1 hour ago, Scuba Steve said:

Thank you, Scuba Steve, and by the way, thank you for making Ghostbusters Doom 2. Even if it wasn't finished, it's been the source of some very happy memories for me.

A little bit of an update on Dwango10 Map10's MIDI. It's nothing definitive, but I did find a version of the MIDI that seems more complete in
The Works of Dominion, in the Map09 slot. While it could be a remix, it definitely sounds like "one clean piece of music" that simply wasn't finished before being used in Dwango (twice no less, and once with a de-synced drum track). Since this wad a is a blood relative of Exec, Brit and Dwango wads, I feel like this is strong evidence suggesting it was, in fact, composed by an old Deathmatching alum. Perhaps related to Team Onslaught since DOMiNiON was apparently involved with them for a while?

Would not be surprised in the slightest if the same applies to DCDwango Map14, though I've learned assumptions can lead you in the wrong directions on these sorts of hunts..! Sadly, DwangoX Map12 (the Donkey Kong Country sounding one) is still a giant question mark.