Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Rizera

The amazing "identify that Doom song" thread.

The titles on VGMusic seem to be partly based on the SNES port, which inexplicably mixes up several of the song titles in the sound test. Lightning War is the actual stage 2 theme, though.

As for de-ep1.wad, D_DM2INT is the player select theme from the SNES version of The Ninja Warriors. I don't recognize the others offhand, though.

On lundi 16 novembre 2020 at 7:24 PM, Willy W. said:

CONF40

SLADE says:

Music (MIDI)
MIDI format 1 with 12 tracks and time division 192
Text: Freedom Memorial / Girdeux
Text: By Chuck Doud seq. and arr. Daniel Wright
Copyright: This is from the Playstation Game "Syphon Filter".
Copyright: This sequence is by Daniel Wright.
  • For CONF42, amusingly, it's the same as one I am looking for: D_BOSS from DE-PKG.ZIP>DE_SND.WAD. So at least I have a pristine MIDI version that hasn't been MUSified. Unfortunately, the metadata isn't useful.
  • CONF45 sounds like Vangelis' theme for Blade Runner.
  • CONF46 sounds really familiar. It's a MIDI version of a famous song, I'm sure of it.
  • CONF51 has useful metadata:
Music (MIDI)
MIDI format 1 with 11 tracks and time division 192
Title: Cavern
Text: By Jay Reichard (silentzora@yahoo.com)
Copyright: Original Melody- "Cavern"
Copyright: From Metal Gear Solid
Text: Generated by NoteWorthy Composer
  • CONF58 has semi-useful metadata:
Music (MIDI)
MIDI format 1 with 7 tracks and time division 120
Title: untitled
Copyright: Copyright © 1999 by Erik Menjivar
Text: Erik Menjivar

That's an author name at least!

For Congestion 1024, I didn't identify any, but many of them have similar metadata that shows it was automatically inserted by the MIDI software without the author configuring stuff properly:

Music (MIDI)
MIDI format 0 with time division 960
Copyright: Copyright © 2001 by <name>
Text: Ray

That "copyright by <name>" line is found in 11, 16, 17, 22, 23, 24, and 31. "Ray" is only present in two or three of them. But I'm inclined to think they're probably all by the same person, and I suppose "Ray" is their name.

Doom 2 Redux MAP04 seems to be "6:00" from Dream Theater, judging from the initials in the metadata:

Title: 6:00
Title: JP Lead Guitar
Title: JP Backup/KM Fills
Title: JM Bass
Title: KM Keyboards
Title: MP Drums

John Petrucci on guitar, John Myung on bass, Kevin Moore on keyboards, and Mike Portnoy on drums. And there's a song titled "6:00" on the album Awake. It fits.

MAP13 might be titled "Vow".

MAP14 metadata:

Music (MIDI)
Title: Dead Souls
Title: Joy Division

MAP19 metadata:

Music (MIDI)
MIDI format 0 with time division 120
Text: You Look So Fine (GARBAGE)
Title: Midi file
Copyright: Copyright © 1999 by Ben Mitchell

DMP 2012 MAP21 seems to have been made by moontrip77 <at> hotmail... While MAP27 was sequenced by PJBarnes.com.

DMP2013 ZD MAP10 is signed by Juan J. Alva-Guerra.

DMP2014 MAP18 metadata:

Music (MIDI)
MIDI format 1 with 13 tracks and time division 120
Marker: "The Great River Race" by Bjorn Lynne (alias Dr.Awesome) - Email: bjorn@team17.com - Homepage: http://www.team17.com/~bjorn

DMP2016 MAP48 metadata:

Music (XM Module)
Wish Techno         
Tracked with FastTracker v2.00   

10 patterns

14 instruments:
0: Wish TechnoMix
2: by NiGHTMARE
4: (C) March 1997
5-0: Str-g.smp
6: Length : 3:12
8: Starting out with the
9: basic drum beats of
10: Nine Inch Nails' Wish,
11: I came up with this
12: weird techno kind of
13: thing.

By @NiGHTMARE apparently.

DMP 2017 MAP47 apparently has the title "The Separated Symbiote".

Entropy's intermission is not by Ribbiks at all, cue metadata:

Music (MIDI)
MIDI format 1 with 8 tracks and time division 960
Marker: Secret of Evermore:  The Quicksand Fields    -The Jade Emperor-
Title: Composed by
Title: Jeremy Soule
Title: Sequenced by
Title: The Jade Emperor
Title: Designed for WinGroove

And Entropy's MAP02 is "party-is-dead", same as 3IAC MAP29.

Freedoom 1 ending metadata:

Music (MIDI)
MIDI format 1 with 7 tracks and time division 480
Copyright: Copyright (c) 2009 GhostlyDeath (ghostlydeath@gmail.com
Cue point: Created by Rosegarden
Cue point: http://www.rosegardenmusic.com/
Marker: Copyright (C) 2009 GhostlyDeath (ghostlydeath@gmail.com)
Marker: ghostlydeath@gmail.com
Marker: For Freedoom
Marker: GhostlyDeath
Title: Sweet Bunnies ^_^

E1M2 is apparently titled "Slayer", E1M4 is titled "5. Flood the City", E1M8 is titled "6. On The Next Day", E1M9 is "1. The Raging Sun", E2M2 is "5. Animal Skin", E2M3 is "4. Alone With Colors", MAP14 is "12. About The Summer", MAP27 is "11. Dreamcatcher", and MAP32 is "3. Black Mountain". I suppose all the titles with a number are by the same author. There's two number 5s, though.

MAP22 metadata:

Music (MIDI)
Title: Midi's for freedoom
Title: Tyler Pantella
Title: "picklehammer"
Title: pickle_hammer@hotmail.com
Title: Member of ACMT
Title: Atomic Chicken Music Team

Nova II intermission is entitled "Angels". Text screen is titled "07 - Communication Lost". Probably from something, given the track number.

Slaughterfest 2012: MAP12 is by our friend moontrip from hotmail again. MAP27 is titled "Black Forest". MAP34 is "Fight to the End" by Knightrider of Doom.

Stardate 20X6 intermission: "Sequenced by: Blue_Nocturne" and a yahoo address.

@Gez Thanks a lot for the extensive post! I think I'll have to find a way to look into the MIDIs' metadata myself, for some reason Slade has refused to show any of that, or even play anything through Fluidsynth for a while now no matter what version of it I download.
I updated my post with everything you found, and I was able to identify some of the MIDIs from the names of the people who arranged them, but two of those I just couldn't find at all - DMP2012 MAP27 and DMP2013 MAP10... the former of which really infuriates me, because I know I've heard this song somewhere, but I just can't figure out where.

And I Tried going through the list you posted a couple days ago. I couldn't find much, but D_THRONE is from Equinox MAP10.

6 hours ago, Willy W. said:

Thanks a lot for the extensive post! I think I'll have to find a way to look into the MIDIs' metadata myself, for some reason Slade has refused to show any of that,

It's broken on 3.2.0, so I stay with 3.1.12 for now.

A couple more, from jmickle:

CONF21 is drpoles.mid (full title: "dr. poles")

Freedoom E1M5 and E2M6 are sit.mid (full title: "sit on a bench 'n release that tensh'n")

Metadata says the title is "Power Trio", and the copyright is "Copyright © 2005 My Music Company".

If it were ten years older I'd say it was part of a soundcard driver's MIDI test package, but by 2005 this kind of things had become rare IIRC. Of course, the name "My Music Company" is so generic as to be utterly useless, and "Power Trio" isn't exactly unique either.

The "Copyright © xxxx My Music Company" string is pretty common so it's near surely a default for new files in some MIDI sequencer software. :(

On jeudi 17 décembre 2020 at 7:38 PM, Eris Falling said:

D_CAVERN is frustrating, not the first time that track has come up and I don't think it's been identified yet, unfortunately I can't even think right now where else I've heard it.

I found it: it's BLOOD4.MID from the Blood shareware CD.

Likewise, what I called a "muffled edit" of UNHOLY.MID is actually that song from that same shareware CD.

On 12/13/2018 at 5:35 AM, omomo said:

I've been trying to decode e2music.wad and have gotten almost 50% of it figured out, but can't figure out the other half. A lot of these tracks are featured on Heroes 2, Mr. Smiley Head's Safari, and I'm sure numerous other wads from 1994 - 1996 which have been lost to time. Posting it here in the hopes that any of the others will be figured out.

E1M1:

E1M2:

E1M3: U96 - Das Boot (dasboot.mid)

E1M4:

E1M5: Christopher Wilkins - chris3.mid

E1M6:

E1M7: "Robot Garbage Freighter" from Space Quest III

E1M8: Jean-Michel Jarre - Second Rendez-Vous (rendezii.mid)

E1M9:

E1M1 = new-age-demo-2.mid / kabbalah.mid (2 different filenames for the same composition)

E1M2 = DEMO0003.mid (Sorcery by Chas Smith)

E1M4 = SENTIN.MID

E1M6 = ??? (I heard it somewhere before, and I also really like it) - someone will have to help me out here

E1M9 = mother.mid (by James Andrews)

On 5/25/2019 at 5:43 AM, nicolas monti said:

Still waiting for the ep4b wad midi list, those midis that were used in heroes and smiley safari too.

I'd like to invite you to my topic:

I have managed to complete the whole music list for Doom 3 Mr. Smiley Head's Safari... with an exception of E3M1

Does anyone recognise this midi from Czechbox MAP04?
Apparently the author included it when he submitted the map for the project, but then disappeared before anyone asked him where the music is from.
Czechbox MAP04.zip

BtSX E3 (or, rather, a jokewad called BtSX E3 distributed for April Fools two or three years back) had rather amazing text screen music (even though it doesn't fit Doom) which made me wonder if it's Heart and Soul or smth else, but I'd love to know the source. 

btsxe3mid.zip

EDIT: Nevermind, seemingly opening the file with Notepad was enough to find it's Brutta by Alessandro Canino... I really shouldn't have hasted to upload it here so quickly.

Here's a midi i've been wondering where it comes from, i downloaded it from a site somewhere around 2003-2004 on a site listing midis from famous movies and tv shows, which made me assume it was from the 'Alien' movies (which is not the case).

Recently i found out it was used on SlayeR as the intermission midi, apparently which places the midi a few years earlier than when i downloaded it, so it got me curious about the origin of the midi. It sounds like it could had come from an amiga game but i really don't have any idea, if anyone knows where it comes from please let me know

Alien.zip

On 4/12/2021 at 8:28 PM, DMPhobos said:

Here's a midi i've been wondering where it comes from, i downloaded it from a site somewhere around 2003-2004 on a site listing midis from famous movies and tv shows, which made me assume it was from the 'Alien' movies (which is not the case).

Recently i found out it was used on SlayeR as the intermission midi, apparently which places the midi a few years earlier than when i downloaded it, so it got me curious about the origin of the midi. It sounds like it could had come from an amiga game but i really don't have any idea, if anyone knows where it comes from please let me know

Alien.zip

I would also like to know where it comes from, I spent a long time trying to track down its origin a few months ago and was unsuccessful...

On lundi 12 avril 2021 at 9:28 PM, DMPhobos said:

'Alien'

amiga

Alien Breed, maybe?

Not a perfect match, but there's some similarities.

I did considered 'Alien Breed' but despite some small similarities, i don't think it's a match. Just to clarify a bit, the "sounds like music from an amiga game" part is more of a hunch on my part since i don't know much about the midi other than it was listed as 'Alien' on a midi site, and was used on SlayeR some years before i found it on that site

I was able to identify some of @Xulgonoth's MIDIs that they asked about.

On 11/16/2020 at 1:24 PM, Xulgonoth said:

CONF44

This would be "I'll Face Myself" from Persona 4.

Slaughterfest 2012 MAP18

This is Nine Inch Nails - Something I Can Never Have

Deus Vult Title Theme
Deus Vult Intermission Theme

Both from Contra on the NES. The title theme is from stage 8 while the intermission is stage 6. 

Doom 2 Redux

MAP16

MAP21

MAP16: King Diamond - Welcome Home

MAP21: Jeremy Doyle - Rawk.mid

DMP 2012 MAP13

DMP 2012 MAP27

I have a feeling the MAP13 midi is an old Freedoom MIDI. I have no clue who composed it though. I definitely recognize MAP27 as Corneria from Star Fox, though.

DMP 2014 MAP10

Main menu theme from Perfect Dark.

DMP 2016 MAP40

Black Sabbath - Paranoid

And here I thought that post was dead :D
Thank you @Giant Jumbo Jellyfish and @Diabolución, I really appreciate that you could still dig up some stuff for me, and I'm especially glad that DMP2012 MAP27 midi finally got identified, that one was really bothering me, because I knew I've heard it somewhere, I just had absolutely no idea where.

30 minutes ago, i suck at nicknames said:

Map 27 from JPCP. A Resplendent Emerald Green. 

Fantastic MIDI, never could find where it was sourced from, or even the lone MIDI itself

"Castle of Despair" by Maxime Tondreau (Psychedelic Eyeball) (from Planet of Cartmans II)

http://music.themaxproject.com/midis_poc2.php

On 4/13/2021 at 1:13 AM, NaZa said:

BtSX E3 (or, rather, a jokewad called BtSX E3 distributed for April Fools two or three years back) had rather amazing text screen music (even though it doesn't fit Doom) which made me wonder if it's Heart and Soul or smth else, but I'd love to know the source. 

btsxe3mid.zip

EDIT: Nevermind, seemingly opening the file with Notepad was enough to find it's Brutta by Alessandro Canino... I really shouldn't have hasted to upload it here so quickly.

May out of topic, but can you provide a link to it? (the btsx e3)