Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Rizera

The amazing "identify that Doom song" thread.

The Green Herring said:

What is the origin of the music in AREA53.WAD E1M1? The author specifically says in the text file that he doesn't know where he found it.

All I know about this track that when I downloaded a bunch of Duke Nukem 3D OST, this was included also as 2STORY.mid, along with some other goodies, like JBOND.mid and JUMPFIRE.mid.
I guess this was composed by an unknown author and was used when the custom DN3D map with the same name came out. The nearest match I could find is this.

With the hints of "Hunter.mid" and a DOS game with "Star" in its title, I've got it. The music in AREA53.WAD E1M1 is HUNTER.MID from Command Adventures: Starship, whose soundtrack was done by Hamilton Altstatt ("The Thin Man"). The MIDI pack can be found on Mirsoft under "Starship: Game rip". In this gameplay video, if you skip to 12:23, you will hear enough of the track (in AdLib form) to show that it is unambiguously from this game. You can also hear it played through a MIDI module in this video.

I actually remember downloading 2STORY.MAP back in 1996 or 1997, and I remembered running into that track in a Duke map, but didn't remember what map it was till today. Thank you!

Well, now I know it too. :) Gotta go check on JUMPFIRE.mid next, as that track is an indeed superb composition most possibly coming from the mid-nineties as well.

Great! Now one more to remain, there also lied something called "CHIPS.mid", a sinister, yet relatively calm soundtrack with mere 85 seconds amongst these midis. I guess that comes from another game as well, like Hunter does.

Cell said:

Great! Now one more to remain, there also lied something called "CHIPS.mid", a sinister, yet relatively calm soundtrack with mere 85 seconds amongst these midis. I guess that comes from another game as well, like Hunter does.

Heh. First google result for "chips.mid" is funny, but not really helpful.

Googling "chips.mid midi" is more promising I guess. So, is it a MIDI adaptation of this:

Spoiler

On the other hand, I'd call it neither sinister nor relatively calm.

There's one useful metadata string:
Copyright © 1996 by Stephen D. Salazar

So we know at least the author. And even:

Spoiler

21:57 chips by stephen d. salazar

Unfortunately, that's all I can find when searching the web for Stephen Salazar and MIDI.

For Cell, CHIPS.MID is the MIDI provided with the Duke Nukem 3D deathmatch level CHIPS.MAP (text file) by the composer, Stephen D. Salazar. A search for "DOS Stephen Salazar game" produced the RTCM Duke tools page, including SOUNDFX.MAP by "STEPHEN SALAZAR" which lets you sample the game's sound effects. The text file notes, "Download CHIPS and MY DAY AT THE SHOPPING MAUL (coming soon)!" Then I looked on the "classic" Dukeworld archive for a "chips.zip" and found one. Inside was indeed Salazar's "CHIPS" map, and CHIPS.MID.

Theres a Doom song that I'm trying to find, but I don't even know where to begin. I can't recall which WAD it was in, but it was a sad, mellow kind of sounding song. Maybe it was Roller Coaster of Love, but I don't think so. I do recall hearing it in older maps from before.

ChaingunnerX said:

Onslaught DM 3 map03 music?

I don't think that's it. The song I'm looking for has saxophones in it...I think. Thanks for the response though. It might be based on a song from the 80s or 90s.

Any idea about The Abyss?

D_RUNNIN:
D_STALKS:
D_COUNTD: Das Boot
D_BETWEE:
D_DOOM: Sleeping Satellite
D_SHAWN: Sweet Dreams (Are Made Of This)
D_DEAD: At Doom's Gate [Doom E1M1]
D_RUNNI2: Terminator theme
D_COUNT2: [Heretic E1M6]
D_DDTBL3:
D_EVIL: Running From Evil [Doom II MAP01]
D_ULTIMA: Das Boot [same as D_COUNTD]

D_RUNNIN and D_BETWEE have been used in other old-school wads, you can hear them in Heroes E2M1 and E2M4 for example. D_DDTBL3 is a famous piece of classic music, the kind of song you've already heard thousands of times.

Gez said:

D_DDTBL3 is a famous piece of classic music, the kind of song you've already heard thousands of times.

So annoying, I used to listen to pretty much only classical music in my single-digit years, so I almost certainly knew what this was back then.

Grr.

Memfis said:

Heroes' Tales Map07 pls! Epic song. :D

Odd. Its METADATA says "D_THEDA2". It also shares with the MAP02 song to have several "MIDI" markers in its metadata.

Text file credits "Team TNT and GothicDM Team, Kevin Schilder, James C. McMenamy, Arch Enemy and Jenna Ramsey for beautiful music". So, looking at the rest...

MAP01: "Infinite", Tom Mustaine [TNT MAP10]
MAP02:
MAP03: "Waltz of the Demons", Bobby Prince [Doom E2M7, E3M7, E4M5]
MAP04: "Dead and Bloated", Stone Temple Pilots/Bobby Prince [un21-f.mid from unfinished/unused Doom music]
MAP05:
MAP06:
MAP07:
MAP08: "Message for the Arch-Vile", Bobby Prince [Doom II MAP20, MAP26]
MAP09:
MAP10: "And Then There Was Silence", Blind Guardian
MAP11: The Guard Tower theme, Kevin Schilder [Heretic E1M4, E2M5, E4M4, E5M5]
MAP13: "In The Dark", Bobby Prince [Doom II MAP06, MAP12, MAP24]
MAP15: "Sex Type Thing", Stone Temple Pilots/Bobby Prince [un23.mid from unfinished/unused Doom music]
MAP17:
MAP21:
MAP22: "Jungle Vein", Jenna Ramsey
MAP23: "Waltz of the Demons", Bobby Prince [Doom E2M7, E3M7, E4M5]
MAP25: Palace of Columns theme, Kevin Schilder [Hexen II meso1.mid]
MAP26: Eidolon's Ordeal theme, Kevin Schilder [Hexen II casb3.mid]
MAP27: The Terminator Main Theme, Brad Fiedel
MAP28: "You Suck!", Lee Jackson [Rise of the Triad]
MAP31: Palace of Columns theme, Kevin Schilder [Hexen II meso1.mid]
MAP32: "Aliens, Say Your Prayers!", Bobby Prince [Duke3D alienz.mid]
Readme:
Title: metadata shows it was converted from an XMI file, so it's a rip from another game
Inter:

I didn't actually recognize any song from GothicDM or GothicDM2. James C. McMenamy and Jenna Ramsey are professional composers, so they're likely credited for rips. Given that the metadata in ht.wad's D_SHAWN seems to hint it was made for a Doom game (and intended for the MAP12 slot originally) I'd guess it's probably by "Arch Enemy". It could as well be from an uncredited source (since after all their credit listing is quite incomplete).

There was a quartett of custom midis coming with that Duke Nukem version I've downloaded back then, and 3 of the 4 tracks are already identified: 2STORY.mid as Hunter by Hamilton Altstatt, CHIPS.mid as Chips by Stephen D. Salazar, JUMPFIRE.mid as Metallica's "Jump in the Fire", though the recomposer is still unknown for this one. The remaining one is JBOND.mid, which is a sheet rendition of the James Bond movie theme. It's rather an artist than a song identification question, but I'd be interested in the composers of JUMPFIRE and JBOND.

Eris Falling said:

So annoying, I used to listen to pretty much only classical music in my single-digit years, so I almost certainly knew what this was back then.

Grr.

Found it, it's Mozart's Piano Concerto No. 21 in C Major, second movement ("Andante").

Spoiler

Not sure if anyone has played these megawads from this site or has posted about them in here:
http://toastytech.com/doom/index.html

I'm really interested in knowing the names of the real songs the midis are probably based on. The intermission of Mars War is Black Sabbath's "Iron Man", map 6 and map 21's midis are from a game called Carmageddon, and map 32's midi is based on clouds.mid from Windows 95.

There's also another megawad called "Megawad" in that site. I know E1M2's song is "Frankenstein" by The Edgar Winter Group.