Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
General Rainbow Bacon

So 10 minute Speedmaps?

hardcore_gamer said:

I am a bit confused. What are ten min speedmaps? Maps that take ten min to make? Maps that take ten min to finish?

Conceptually, the second one. But let just said this to doomhero85, since he's hte one posted this idea...

Mithran Denizen's got it right. You have ten (10) minutes to make a map, after 10 minutes stop mapping. I will allow playtesting/bugfixing after the initial 10 minutes, but no more adding areas.

Sure, that's acceptable.

It's your call, but I find that odd. I'm rather slow at drawing sectors compared to many, and despite that, that's easily the thing done fastest.

For me, not including playtesting/fixing would slash the build time of all my maps by 75-80%, and not including thing placement either... We're left with maybe 1/10 of the actual build time.

Maybe I didn't make sense, I meant the opposite, to say that it wouldn't be so much of a challenge.

Let's say I spend 100 minutes making a map. Maybe 10 minutes will be sector drawing and texturing, 15 minutes thing placement, and 75 minutes playtesting and tweaking until it feels right. If I just count the first part, I could say I made a 10 minute speedmap even though I actually spent 100 minutes on it. On the other hand, if I had to fit everything in ten minutes, I would have to map ten times faster (or more likely make something ten times smaller).

Your mileage may vary and all that, it's just that I think it's kind of misleading - indeed, if I knew and applied that sort of ruling to my previous speedmaps, most of them would have actually fit within the required time limit. ;)

Ah I get you now. Technically, I think 10 minutes for making the map layout/line functions. Then take as long as you need populating it. Since this is not a normal speedmapping session, I feel that is fair. Both this and the 5 minute one are experiments, let's just see what happens.

I haven't been able to finish a map in the past ten years, I doubt I could do one in ten minutes. Not a good one, amyway. It would probably end up being a box-room slaughterfest.

Not that those are necessarily bad.

This is the first map I have published. My previous mapping history consists of the doom builder 2 tutorials, and just clicking around to see what things do.

I found the 10 minute limit allowed me to focus and actually make a map. I did about 1 minute of planning, 10 minutes of adding the sectors, then another 5 mins of monster placing and getting the doors to work.

http://www.mediafire.com/?dn8p5bac0fz2nnd

Enjoy