Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
geo

I propose factions in Doom 4

There are humans and demons of course. Doom is about being a human and killing demos. But I propose like Rage, that DOOM 4 have factions. Hear me out... then tell me if you think DOOM should still be about you slaughtering all of Hell.

I'm not suggesting have a game full of them, but if Doom 4 will bring back Hell on Earth, the planet does have a lot of factions.

DEMONS
Not really a faction. Just 99% of the game populous. Their goal is to kill all humans period.

UAC
Scientists guarded by Z-Tec striving to do experiments on Demons and portal technology.

SPACE MARINES
Kill all demons and carry out orders. Remember the carrying out orders.

SPECIAL FORCES
On Earth, they're the same as spece marines only on Earth. They too carry out orders, but use less high tech fun stuff.

MERCS
Work for themselves to survive Hell's invasion instead of the special forces and space marines go head long into it.

POLICE
Defend civilians.

WORSHIPERS
Do what they can to protect demons and hate the Church.

THE CHURCH
Can't really call them a church, but these people follow whatever higher being not associated with the devil or demons. They strive to wipe out demons and worshipers.

GANGS
Random gangs, maybe 3 - 5 of them. They're more interested in making a buck with the demon invasion. Plus gangs can defend themselves as a group and keep themselves alive.

CIVILIANS
Normal humans not associated with any faction.

THE HYBRIDS
Half human, half demon, like the revenants. Perhaps UAC experiments gone wrong. Hated by humans and demons alike.

sounds a hell of alot like BLOOD for some reason.

I guess this could work, if done properly and doesnt become a multiplayer concept, and I dont wind up doing missions for one of the factions that require me to walk/drive 50 miles to do a task only to recieve three diamonds.

lol no multiplayer. If anything you can use them as skins for a different look. I'll have to look up BLOOD.

I'd have it less do missions for X more like deal with X. Like a church of worshipers where human worshipers will fight against you for their demons. Or police will guard an area and help you defend it. I'm not talking about stopping the game for 5 minutes and guard a position. I'm talking the police guard a position that you happen to pass through. Like a cop defending an injured civilian.

Special forces you find deeper in Hell and progress further. The Church attack Worshipers. Gangs want you for your guns and don't care about you if you're using a pistol. Gangs defend their turf against monsters and civilians.

I think this could enhance the game and the modding community could do wonders.

PLUS Zombies... Zombie cops, zombie medics, zombie civilians, zombie gang members, zombie space marines, zombie special forces, zombie mercs. All with different tactics. Waves can turn them into zombies or when they die they can return as zombies or Arch-Viles can revive them as zombies.

Doing missions or joining factions just isn't what Doom is about. Finding keys, flipping switches yes, doing missions like ooo find my daughter. Go fetch me a generator aren't Doom.

Another thing is maybe someone is out of ammo and you can throw them ammo with a simple button like switch to pistol then push D and you will throw them some pistol ammo. They can give you health or just aide you. Or even if a gang gets the drop on you and tell you give us your plasma rifle. You can throw them the rifle or blow them all away at the risk of taking damage yourself, but that might be too unDoom-like.

There can be a points system for humans left alive at the end of the stage. So monsters killed > secrets found > humans still living.

Sounds cool, but I don't know if Id have the money, time and even motivation to do something big like that. All Id games so far (dunno about Keen...) have been rather simplistic.

geo said:

THE CHURCH
Can't really call them a church, but these people follow whatever higher being not associated with the devil or demons. They strive to wipe out demons and worshipers.

A church would make sense... I bet that monks would be quite powerful against demons in Doom, unlike in real life, where demons don't exist.

Sounds far too complex to be gotten across in a clear fashion for a Shooter. Would work better in an RPG type game, I think. You may still see one or more of those groups through the story of Doom 4, but I doubt we'll see anything nearly as complex and interconnecting.

:-(

They don't even need to interconnect they can be programmed easily. With a tag of one faction, and then program how each faction interacts with one another.

I'm not even proposing it be in the story. Just CPU logic.

If Rage can have mutant clans that feud, then Doom 4 can have my idea of factions.

But if fans don't like it, fans don't like it.

Heavily redundant. If you trim out the parts that will have little to no gameplay impact in a typical Id Software shooter, you boil down to humans vs. demons.

One could argue that factions already exist -- see demon infighting, or E2M8 and E2M9. It's just that they don't have enough impact to be implemented as full-fledged things.

So unless you go the Half-Life groups with humans vs humans in addition to humans vs. monsters, factions just don't matter.

geo said:

I have failed.

Not really. Everyone wants to see different things in Doom 4, essentially.

I suppose I just want to see a lil evolution to a game that resists evolution (lack of night vision and flashlights on shotguns). And its not so much factions as it is different AI and enemy variety.

geo said:

I suppose I just want to see a lil evolution to a game that resists evolution (lack of night vision and flashlights on shotguns). And its not so much factions as it is different AI and enemy variety.

Then why did you call them factions?

Also, classic Doom and Doom 3 both already feature different AI and enemy variety. (Enemy ariety is more noticeable in classic Doom; AI differences are more noticeable in Doom 3.)

AirRaid said:

Sounds far too complex to be gotten across in a clear fashion for a Shooter.

Worked fine in Clear Sky, a (relatively) open world shooter with only a handful of RPG elements. Considering iD most likely has a higher budget than GSC, I'm sure they could handle putting it in. Of course it probably wouldn't go over too well considering the general community young and old seem to love to resist shooters being anything more than "go here shoot everything" level of complexity, but it's doable.

Gez said:

Then why did you call them factions?

Also, classic Doom and Doom 3 both already feature different AI and enemy variety. (Enemy ariety is more noticeable in classic Doom; AI differences are more noticeable in Doom 3.)

I may as well have called them humanoid AI categories, but that would be a lil broad.

Like classic doom, I'd prefer there only be one faction -- Things.

Xeros612 said:

Worked fine in Clear Sky, a (relatively) open world shooter with only a handful of RPG elements. Considering iD most likely has a higher budget than GSC, I'm sure they could handle putting it in.

Stalker was always way more story driven and about the environment and stuff though. It's not beyond possibility that id can do that kind of thing, they're doing it with Rage. But the key I think is that they decided to make an entirely new IP to do it with. They could have done it with Doom 4, and they didn't. And, to quote one id guy or another - "Doom 4 will not be a reskinned Rage." These are the reasons I don't see any complex NPC interactions or distinctions like geo suggested making it into Doom 4.

40oz said:

Like classic doom, I'd prefer there only be one faction -- Things.

Correction: Things to Kill!

Maybe their should be an Angel faction. They kill the demons and worshippers, but then at some point in the game they watch that Dennis Quaid movie and mistake it as orders from God and then the Angels start to kill everything.

Well, it would be cool. Multiplayer-only doom game with high graphics but the themes of Doom I and II where you can join the demons army. That's what I think Doom IV should be.

Clonehunter said:

Maybe their should be an Angel faction. They kill the demons and worshippers, but then at some point in the game they watch that Dennis Quaid movie and mistake it as orders from God and then the Angels start to kill everything.

WIN

yellowmadness54 said:

I propose russians and chinese in DOOM4.

Agree, also Doom 4 can takes place in different areas instead of just UAC bases and hell. Maybe chiense architecture or gardens based?

But same, I still propose Barons and Spiders back in Doom 4.

I always kind of thought of UAC as an Illuminati-led multi-billion megacorporation that has the US government under its control, and thus the USSMC too.

Don't mention the killumanati, they'll start monitoring us.

That's what mods are for.

Welp, looks like this thread has devolved into completely random useless crap

Carry on.