Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DooMBoy

How you discovered the Doom series? / Your first time playing Doom?

The first time I played Doom was when I downloaded the shareware.
I liked it so much, that I borrowed a friend's SNES version (not the best Doom port ever, but it kept me amused) and played the entire way through the game in just 5 days.
Then I heard of Doom2, and borrowed it of of one of my friends, took it home, and installed on the computer. And played it, and played it, and....you get the idea. Now I have re-installed it since my computer crashed, and have so far downloaded the Goldeneye Doom2 zip file. Awesome, man, awesome.
What about the rest of you?

Oh my dear boy, that was long, long time ago, far away in a distant galaxy... I was young and mighty when i start Eternal Battle in Doom... It changed my life at first and then i went down in Hell in Doom 2. Countless times Forces of Evil tryed to stop lonesome space marine... Im still fighting with DOOM of my-self... And look at me now, son... Did i make right choice in taking Jorick nickname in DeathMatch? It changed my life and now im wasted...

Guest elyuca

I got my hands on a prerelease beta, before the shareware version came out.(can be downloaded now from this site). Then I downloaded the shareware (I had AOL at that time, and only 3 or 4 sites had it, I had to FTP it). By the time I was finished downloading the shareware version (almost 7 hours on my 14.4), I played one level a day just to make it more exciting. It was hard playing just ONE level a day, I had to help myself not grab the keyboar again and play it to the end, so I beat it in a week. This guy that worked at a software house said that they played doom all the time over the LAN at his office, so I copied the complete verion off him. As for Doom 2, I had to stand outside CompUSA and bring my drink cooler and portable chair. I waited almost 10 hours untill they opened at 8am. I wasnt the only one either. There was close to 200 people that were practically camping outside the store, nervous for it to open. A couple of people got a copy before I did though, I was around the 30th who got Doom2, and I had to pry it off the hands of this other guy, who was supposed to be way farther down the line. Ultimate Doom took me completely by surprise, I just found it on the shelves of this local software store.

Guest Stealthy Ivan

Back in the day playing doom shareware for the first time. I was like, this cant be better then wolf but I will try it. To my suprise it kicked ass and I played it for hours every day. Then after playing the full version, I was hooked. It was all about deathmatchin on the BBS. The Bomb..!!!!

In December 1993 I was nine years old and didn't have a PC, so I wasn't really in a position to jump at the shareware version the day it was released. I had heard about Doom in many places but didn't play it until 1995, when I discovered the shareware version on a CD. I immediately went out and bought a big shiny box containing the Ultimate Doom, Doom 2 and a crapload of PWADs. The best $20 I ever spent.

Guest Omega
wasted said:

Oh my dear boy, that was long, long time ago, far away in a distant galaxy... I was young and mighty when i start Eternal Battle in Doom... It changed my life at first and then i went down in Hell in Doom 2. Countless times Forces of Evil tryed to stop lonesome space marine... Im still fighting with DOOM of my-self... And look at me now, son... Did i make right choice in taking Jorick nickname in DeathMatch? It changed my life and now im wasted...

I actually played DoomII first. My friend Derek Kook had the game, and I played it 'till my brains rotted out. I beat the whole crapload of levels in about 2 to 3 days. So, I decided to get it myself. I got the Doom I demo instead. Then I bought Ultimate Doom, Doom 2, and Best Levels for D2 all in a neat little package. I was 12 when I got that. Whoa, I got the Doom Trilogy in 1998! I'm a little late!

At a friends house for a few minutes... it was enough to get me addicted. Then I got an issue of FLUX that had a ten page complete overview of why it was the best game that would ever exist a year or so later.

The only time I really got to sit down and play the shit out of it for the first time was when I was around 14 and it came out for the SNES. When I got my first PC in '96 DOOM was the first game I bought. Fortunately I was able to borrow DOOM II and Final DOOM from my friends until I got around to having the cash to go out and buy them.

I was never able to beat Inferno on the SNES... damn. Of course, it wasn't too long before Duke 3D came out. I only had a 1.2 gig harddrive so... I ended up swapping between Doom and Duke a whole lot, which gave me a lot of experience in DOS. Sometimes I even messed up -file, -map, and -game when I would hop between games too much. :)

I first played Doom and Doom2 when My mate brought it in and installed it at school. teehee. 15 minutes got me addicted.
What can I say? I enjoy carnage.

i jest whanted to know when you poeple started
doom
doom 2
and multiplayer doom

me
about 96
about 97
november of 2000
im 15 too

Guest deathwarrior

96 (LAN)

and i'm now 13 (14 in a month and a half)

I first played Doom on the Super NES 3 years ago at a friend's house.
Doom2-Been playing it since middle of last year.(CD's broke-sob..)
Actually, I've never played Multiplayer Doom, strange as it may seem. There's a lot of good reasons for that, but I'll not waste space telling them.

Doom - 93 with Shareware v 0.99

Doom2 - 20 minutes after buying it (rushing home), 5 minutes after the guy in the store put in on the shelf. Right place right time. ;-)

Multiplayer - see answer 1. Saturday mornings at work. Ipx network, 3 friends, multi and co-op. Totally blown away. I remember some guy coming into the office and one of my friends screaming at him "look, look, that's that guy sitting over there, he's killing me" as he pointed at my sprite on his monitor.

Guest ZarcyB

Doom: 94
Doom 2: 95
Multiplayer Doom: 96ish

Remember that we didn't get a computer until Christmas of '99.

Doom - '97 (snes)
Doom 2 - '00
MP - never, and sad to say that :(

(I would if I could, but all the active games displayed on ZDaemon view a ping of 500 or higher so I don't last long!)

Guest Liam the Bard

don't play multi

doom = 1994 on my 32x (I LOVE IT)
doom2= 1999 (Depths of DooM Trilogy)
multiplayer doom = I was introduced to doomserv a few days later. To bad it doesnt work now. I want 3.5!

Doom 1: Since the shareware version baby :)

Doom 2: Since around 95 or so....maybe later

Deathmatch: Never tried online Dooming, but I started playing bot matches once i discovered Zdoom (1998-99)

Ralphis said:

doom = 1994 on my 32x (I LOVE IT)
doom2= 1999 (Depths of DooM Trilogy)
multiplayer doom = I was introduced to doomserv a few days later. To bad it doesnt work now. I want 3.5!

It works, your doing something wrong, there are 3 active doomserv sites, Washington, Greensting's and pickles, speak to greensting perhaps he can tell you what you're doing wrong

deadnail said:

96 (modem2modem coop)

doom - around when it first came out
doom 2 - around when it first came out
and multiplayer doom - as soon as I had a connection going which wasn't very long after I got the game itself.

doom 2? a year after it came out (1994 xmas)
doom? 1995 summer
multiplayer? 1995 summer

by the way, my first copy of doom 1 was off of the network i was playing it on. unfortunatly it had that annoying barney/clinton patch on it. so until i purchased ultimate doom in 96, I had to live with doom 1 with barney! ugh... terrible.

Doom 1 - around 1994 or 95'

Doom 2 - definatly 95'

Doom Multiplayer - around 2000, although I didn't stick around long because doom multiplayer is really dry for me.

=====
Other games (genre not limited to FPS):

Wolf3d - 1993 - 94'
ROTT - 1994 - 96'
Xcom - 1997
Xcom2 - 1995
Quake - 1997
Quake 2 - 2001 (bought quad-damage pack for $20 a few months ago)
Q2 multiplayer - 2001 (only on public computers at my university though).
Quake 3 - never played, but might play it when I get my new computer.
Unreal - never played
UT - never played

=====
I am 19 (last friday)

GavinJCD said:

dude you so need to sort out your spelling/typing.

As for your query..

one spelling error. not like i mis spelled like 5 words

Guest Nuno Correia
Enjay said:

Doom - 93 with Shareware v 0.99

Doom2 - 20 minutes after buying it (rushing home), 5 minutes after the guy in the store put in on the shelf. Right place right time. ;-)

Multiplayer - see answer 1. Saturday mornings at work. Ipx network, 3 friends, multi and co-op. Totally blown away. I remember some guy coming into the office and one of my friends screaming at him "look, look, that's that guy sitting over there, he's killing me" as he pointed at my sprite on his monitor.

Same here.

I can't really remember any dates.... it was a while ago.
I DO know that I bought the shareware disk the first time I ever saw the game, It was mesmerizing......

After getting Ultimate Doom for my birthday, it corrupted a few months later (Damn 3 1/2 floppy disks!) I was suffering withdrawl symptoms of, well, no Doom.

In about 98, I got Doom 2, and I stopped egging houses.

Never played multi Doom, I am a sad sorry individual for it.