Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Reinchard666

How can I find oldest wads?

You can sort both FTP directories and the doomworld mirror of idgames by ascending/descending date AFAIK.

The DW idgames mirror has a "sort by" pull-down menu right of the search bar, and an Asc/Desc pull-down near the search/mong button.

But note that the dates they were uploaded to the archive may not match the dates they were created, and that some of the early wads had incorrect date-stamps (some clearly impossible).

So it's actually rather hard to say what the earliest pwads were. Also, some of the earliest were slight changes to iwad maps, and so weren't allowed into the archive.

As you can imagine, this question has been discussed before. This thread may be of interest, for instance.

Reinchard666 said:

But what should I write in the "search for" window? When I leave an empty space I have a message "Need longer search string".

"zip"

If you want to find what was probably the first "megawad" of all times, search the web for the infamous Doom: Extra hard. Essentially, it's a THINGS-hacked version of the full Doom v1.1 IWAD with enemies and items replaced by ridiculously overpowered monsters.

Its peculiarity? It was done at a very early stage before DEU had proper-nodebuilding, if the timestamps are to be believed. Of course it was technically possible to modify sector heights and thing types even without a BSP builder by then.

Reinchard666 said:

I'm loomking for oldest wads from 1994.

That raises an interesting question. While Origwad (7-Mar-94) is widely regarded as being the first PWAD, the revision history for DEU suggests that early releases have been floating around since 26-Jan-94 so there may well be earlier wads out there, though (as Grazza mentioned) many early releases were modified IWAD maps - of which I have dozens sitting on my hard drive.

I'll rummage through my archives over the next couple of days and see what I can turn up that's in /idgames.