Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Shapeless

Quake on Steam is ##*&^!

So quake runs but glquake and Scourge of Armaggon does not, I get an error message saying it has stopped working and will notify me when there's a solution. Quake 2 runs but everything is zoomed in, the load screen and menu are at the corner of the screen. so yaa how do you guys play this game on steam?

I haven't experienced the same problems you have, but everyone prefers to play Q1&2 with source ports. Look up DarkPlaces and R1Q2.

There's also FitzQuake:

http://www.celephais.net/fitzquake/

Bengt Jardrup's enhanced versions of the GLQuake and Nehahra engines:

http://user.tninet.se/~xir870k/

And the Remake Quake Engine for the RMQ Project (a recent map that came out requires this engine, but it's definitely worth it):

http://kneedeepinthedoomed.wordpress.com/ <---RMQ engine
http://www.celephais.net/board/view_thread.php?id=60546 <---Map I was talking about

I think glQuake (and Quake II's gl renderer) have some issues with modern video drivers, as they don't work on my machine, which contains an old ATI Radeon 4830HD and catalyst 11.2 (which is very outdated I think... should try upgrading that and seeing if it helps). Most of the newer ports seem to work fine, including just the r1gl renderer which works great under vanilla Quake II.

I just use DOSbox to play Quake because I can't find any source port that's not the hardware accelerated bullshit which ruins the game for me when it's not intended to be used.

Are there any ports of the original Quake executable for windows? You know, like a 'Chocolate Quake'?

Marnetmar said:

I just use DOSbox to play Quake because I can't find any source port that's not the hardware accelerated bullshit which ruins the game for me when it's not intended to be used.

Are there any ports of the original Quake executable for windows? You know, like a 'Chocolate Quake'?

TyrQuake is your best bet. It's the port I use.

Blame the drivers and lack of foresight in the coding of the GL executables themselves, not Steam. If you grabbed retail copies of the games you'd be having the same problem. Winquake still works fine, regardless of drivers, barring the occasional palette issue that goes away when the screen flashes. Your Quake 2 issue sounds like your display may not be handling the resolution correctly. Changing the res might clear it up.

Quake 2 works fine with nVidia's drivers. I've been told GLQuake does now too, but I know in the past you had to use nVidia Inspector to point the driver settings to the correct executable, since it was looking for quake.exe instead of glquake.exe and glqwcl.exe. I have no clue on ATI, but I'm guessing it doesn't work given the number of complaints about it over on the Steam forums.

Marnetmar: There is no need for a "Chocolate Quake" since WinQuake still works fine on modern versions of Windows, barring the occasional palette issue that goes away whenever the screen flashes.

Marnetmar said:

ROFL, you mean like ID software 'made and approved' GLquake?

something is fucked up cause when I watch a video on steam it looks fine until I enlarge it to fit the screen, then some of the video is cut off. also having this problem with the Amnesia dark decent demo. quake 1 just stretches the image which can be fixed with the 4:3 mode. I am using an ati card and running 1920x1080p

Well I figure it has something to do with steam since the trailers on steam have the same problem when enlarged to fill screen, image is cut off. the good news is that I got the mission packs running with these ultimate quake patches http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1756923, the bad news is I can't enjoy them cause the cross hair is about 4 x 3" away from the corner of my 24" screen. and some of the image is cut off.

I'm running the games in 1920 x 1080 that is my screen native resolution. when I lower the res the image gets smaller but rather then seeing more I get a dark green frame around the image. this only happens with the quake games. just installed Amnesia dark decent and both sides are stretched off screen, running it in a window I can see the sides if I drag the window.