Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
888mikem888

Doom As Standard Training For Marines?

I remember reading some where that Doom 1 was used as standard training simulation for for the U.S. Marines. I don't get how Doom could pass as a simulation, it's one of the most un-realistic games in existence.

Does any one else know any thing about this?

Marine Doom: a 1996 modification of the first-person shooter Doom II for US Marines, which was later made available for download to the public.

In the game, a fireteam, comprising four Marines, is supposed to accomplish a specific mission, the default being the destruction of an enemy bunker, although other scenarios such as a hostage rescue in a foreign embassy can be designed. In order to allow coordination of their movements, these soldiers play on separated computers in the same room. The fireteam consists of a team leader, two riflemen and one machine-gunner.

from the wiki page.

Interesting. I never suspected that themes/marines would be about real Marines. I just thought it was about Doom marines (dmarmy-like) or another fictional kind, and passed it.

Huh, interesting. When I heard that it was used as a simulation I pictured in my mind Marines in training by shooting down Hell. Lol, video games for training in the Army. And they say video games are a waste of time.

I just tried it. You do have to play pretty defensively, however I was able to run past everyone lucky enough to get to that bunker on the right which kept me pretty safe

Well, I guess the mom's of the world saying video games are training our kids to kill get a point here. But then, if it's to defend our country, I say no worries.

40oz said:

however I was able to run past everyone lucky enough to get to that bunker on the right which kept me pretty safe

What if it's played at -turbo 20?

Huh, I've never heard of this before. I guess it was a predecessor for America's Army, though.