Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Six

Heretic Shareware & Doom 3DO

EDIT (09/08/11): The following is pretty much irrelevant now as all items listed are now sold. Unfortunately i don't have any other id or Raven games available for sale. If you've missed out, where the hell where you?

-------

Hey guys, how's it going?

Good? Good...

This is probably only interesting for id and/or raven fanatics, but nonetheless by all means read if not. For any collectors out there looking to complete/perfect either their Doom or Heretic collection, i have two auctions you'll probably be interested in.

I was a big collector of video games in the past, but unfortunately rent, bills, and food are a bitch so i have to sell it all (the majority at least). Anyway sob story aside, part of the collection was two factory sealed games, one of which is the 3DO version of Doom and the other is the shareware version of Heretic.

Now i know what you're thinking "3DO Doom? Why in gods name would i want that piece of shit?" Well, as said, despite the fact the game itself sucks dick, it's still considered a collectors item. Finding one of these boxed is hard enough, but one factory sealed is a bitch.

The Heretic Shareware is the boxed CD-ROM edition. Whether there were any other variants i don't know, but yeah, there you go.

SOLD 3DO Doom (US eBay link):
http://cgi.ebay.com/Doom-3DO-Big-Box-Factory-Sealed-New-/150632240623?pt=UK_PC_Video_Games_Video_Games_JS&hash=item23126195ef

SOLD Heretic Shareware (US eBay link):
http://cgi.ebay.com/Heretic-Shareware-PC-Boxed-Factory-Sealed-/150632243690?pt=UK_PC_Video_Games_Video_Games_JS&hash=item231261a1ea

If you're from the States, most of you probably think the prices are a little steep. I didn't actually price them too high in GBP so unfortunately it may suck. If by 15 days there's no purchase i'll reduce the price on both items by £15 ($24).

It's a shame i have to let them go, but my missus hates them to death and i generally don't have anywhere to put them anyway.

Sorry if this sort of thing is frowned upon.

Piece and love.

...Why are you SELLING a SHAREWARE title? I'm pretty sure the purpose of shareware is to provide a FREE, extended length demo of a game or product.

I also have to question just what it is about these two that make your missus hate them so much.

Tell that to the guy who sold it to me for $50. It might have shareware stamped on it, but it's considered a collectable, and where there's collectors there's money involved.

My missus doesn't hate these two games in particular, she hated my whole collection in general. I'm not actually selling it due to that though... Well, maybe a little?

Back in the day, long before the Web 2.0 hegemony and the rise of the Facebook and Google empires of this world, before even AOL merged their network with the cloud, when Usenet and DOS were still going strong, a whole bunch of people didn't have access to the untamed wild west Internet. Some of them didn't even have modems so downloading from local BBS wasn't possible. Back in those glorious days, you could get shareware on floppy via mail order or local computer shops. There was of course a fee, but it was usually pretty small. I remember ordering a bunch of Fred Fish disks for under $20 sometime in 1993.

If you go back further in time, in the early 80's you could mail order CP/M disks (5 or 8-inch floppies back then...) with freely-distributable software on them. I'm sure there was a lot of similar stuff going on between those two timeframes. So yeah, it's totally legit to charge for shareware of other similarly licensed software.

Btw, some Amiga coders considered the 3DO as a possible successor, since the published specs were fairly powerful and it was allegedly going to have a keyboard interface and easy access for hobbyist-programmers. I don't know if that ever materialized though.

Xeros612 said:

...Why are you SELLING a SHAREWARE title? I'm pretty sure the purpose of shareware is to provide a FREE, extended length demo of a game or product.

I also have to question just what it is about these two that make your missus hate them so much.

Err that may be true for an electronic copy of the shareware, but a physical printed copy with box and other materials is a collector's item. Hell, the MSRP for DOOM shareware was $9.95 for retailers and commercial shareware distributors; it says that right on the title screen.

Walmart always had a huge collection of shareware and shovelware CDs back in the day, and DOOM and its relatives were always prominently featured.

Clonehunter said:

Also, Doom was on the 3DO?

Yep, and it had some pretty kickass music. The graphics were pretty shite though.

Quasar said:

but a physical printed copy with box and other materials is a collector's item

I'm surprised some people can't understand the differences. I'm not selling the shareware so you can play it or to obtain the files, i'm selling it for the item itself. It's like a trophy, you display it, not play it.

If anyone actually buys the shareware for the intention of opening it and trying it, i'm sorry but you're an idiot and would've destroyed most of it's value. This is where the collectable side of the story comes in.

Xeros612 said:

...Why are you SELLING a SHAREWARE title?

Try asking the guy who's hoping to get $120 for a shrink-wrapped copy.

Yeah i saw that auction. The game may be worth a bit, but it's not worth that much. I mean, i'm selling mine for less than half his asking price.

There's a greedy seller, then there's an unreasonable one.

Edit: Oh hey, someone bought the Heretic shareware. Congrats whoever you are.

I would'nt mind having shrinkwrapped copies of Doom1, 2 Heretic and Hexen PC. But Further than that I wouldn't ever bother. I'm not the collecting kind of guy. Find it hard to give value to inanimate objects. But I do of course understand the mindset behind it. I just can't really appreciate it for myself.

Six said:

Edit: Oh hey, someone bought the Heretic shareware. Congrats whoever you are.

Probably Quast, his post reeks of reverse psychology. ;-)

My bro found our shareware copy for 50 cents at a garage sale. It was a weird garage sale. The guy had enough shareware disks to open a store. We went back that week and got Blakestone and RoTT as well.

I haven't seen those disks in years and I can't bring myself to care. What was more interesting was the disk he got with a copy of DEU and a couple of shitty map packs. I have no idea where his friend at school got that thing, since it looked like it had also been sold on a shareware rack. It also had all the source code for DEU.

GreyGhost said:

Probably Quast, his post reeks of reverse psychology. ;-)

If he lives in Oz.

I was going to put my factory sealed Atari Jaguar version of Doom on auction as well, but they're not that difficult to obtain so i thought better of it. Unless someone requests it of course.

I have Ultimate Doom and Hexen sealed, but i chose not to let them go. Hexen is easy to find sealed anyway. As far as i can remember, that's it as far as id and raven games go.