Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
hardcore_gamer

Sorting out the good and the bad in Final Doom

While I LOVE Doom 1 and 2, I have never been able to make it all the way through Final Doom because like so many others I feel that in order to enjoy the good levels I have to grind my way through lots of boring ones in order to get to the good stuff. As a result all of my attempts to play Final Doom so far have ended in failure.

However, there are still maps in Final Doom that I think are fun so it would be a shame to miss them simply because there are other levels I don't like.

So for those who have played all of Final Doom, can you just outright tell me which levels you think are good? I am thinking about making a modified IWAD (for personal use only of course) that only contains the good levels. I know not everyone might think the same levels are good/bad but any suggestions are still very much welcome.

Anyone?

I liked pretty much all of Plutonia, but Evilution only had a few good levels in the beginning, few in the middle, few in the end and the secret levels were nice too. I think the levels that tried to be realistic were kinda boring.

Also Evilution seemed to use lots of hitscan monsters in majority of levels as the primary enemies. Sure they're nice sometimes, but not all the time. I think they should have added plasma and rocket launcher zombies if they liked zombies that much.

Just suck it up and play em' through. Trust me, I know alot of TNT was not that great. But, give em a chance, perseverance man. It'll be that much more enjoyable when you reach those good maps... Atleast for me it was. Still, I can't believe you haven't played it all the way through!!!

The thing I like in Plutonia is that it gives the player challenge, the monsters and pickups placement are good. But I always hate the texture of Plutonia, I always found it ugly.

TNT got good designs on many of the maps, the only thing I don't like is too much zombies which leds to hitscan.

Daiyu_Xiaoxiang said:

The thing I like in Plutonia is that it gives the player challenge, the monsters and pickups placement are good. But I always hate the texture of Plutonia, I always found it ugly.

TNT got good designs on many of the maps, the only thing I don't like is too much zombies which leds to hitscan.

Yeah, it suffers from too much brown.

I don't understand how people say most of TNT's levels are bad. The only ones I don't like are MAP02, MAP15, and MAP21-24.

Umm.. I really liked all of Final Doom. I think TNT did suffer from a number bad-looking maps but not necessarily bad all together.

It was the custom textures in TNT that ruined the immersion. Who's idea was that? They look ridiculous.

I did not like how Plutonia reused both Doom and Doom 2's soundtrack.

The only things I like from TNT is the first level and the intermission music. Otherwise I find it not as good Plutonia, which is awsome in my opinion.

I couldn't stand TNT anymore once I got to dead zone. I've never bothered to even touch Plutonia, it's way to stupidly hard for me.

Marnetmar said:

Plutonia ... stupidly hard for me.

Simple and rather good solution: -skill 2

I think it was plutonia which was my first dooming experience (I was like 6?... or 7?). I barely remember anything from since, but I do recall finding doom/doom2 which I played afterwards rather boring when compared to "original". (zombies? imps? are you kidding me?)

heh heh

The only way you'll ever be able to determine which maps are good and bad is to play them yourself... As with any wad ever designed.

I went back and played Evilution for the first time since I think 2008 and found a bit more enjoyable this time around. Still can't bring myself to like most of episode 3, though... nor Map08. Its worst aspect is the emptiness of some of the maps (Map12 being the most ridiculous offender).

Plutonia is and always will be one of my favorite versions of Doom made. As said, the brownness of it is the only true weak point.

hardcore_gamer said:

While I LOVE Doom 1 and 2, I have never been able to make it all the way through Final Doom because like so many others I feel that in order to enjoy the good levels I have to grind my way through lots of boring ones in order to get to the good stuff. As a result all of my attempts to play Final Doom so far have ended in failure.

I can understand that, I played plutonia all the way through a few months back and apart from the first 10 or so levels which I had played loads of times before I quite enjoyed it.

When it comes to TNT though, well, I remember a few good levels in the middle with the space sky but I can never make it to them because I get bored with the beginning ones which look dodgy and the gameplay isn't great either. Some of the maps in TNT are interesting though like wormhole but most aren't good so I'd just avoid it.

EDIT: finally got member status!

My gripes with TNT is quality and the thematic consistency from map to map. Plus there are several glaring level design flaws that can stop gameplay dead and have me rushing over to gamefaqs (or if this was before you have the internet - entering cheat codes). Some levels are really choice, and I like the new music.

Plutonia I tend to get too bored with to even finish. By level two I'm running around with very little health and almost no ammo whatsoever, and finally I realize that I'm supposed to cross an invisible bridge straight out of Indiana Jones and The Last Crusade. I like the difficulty progression to be balanced, and not piss me off right off the bat like that.

I think the best TNT maps are: 01, 05, 10, 14 (btw AWESOME music), 15, 17, 26, 28, 29, 32.

Out of Final DooM, my favorite levels come from Evilution, but my least favorites also come from Evilution and as a whole I tend to prefer Plutonia as it's more consistent in terms of quality.