Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Clonehunter

Harry Potter and the Doomworld Thread About His Latest Movie

Well, Harry Potter will apparently stop showing up in theatres for now after the new movie has had its run. Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2 will end the movie Saga which have told the adventures of the young magic boy with the slanted Zorro mark upon his head. Or at least it will end the movie-izations of the books.

Opens Friday. Tomarrow. Any HP fans here? Or is he one of those guys who want to gib in a Doom wad? I'm just curious as to what way Voldemort dies.

The films seem to have had a very good run from what I've seen. While my personal interest only took me as far as the fourth instalment, it's evident from looking at each film in turn that the longstanding series is one of the few that hasn't buckled under the law of impending sequels. It's also served as a sort of acting vessel for some of the more veteran members of the filming industry, and for that too it is to be commended.

I won't be watching the new release and I suspect it'll be a good while before I gather enough interest to carry on where I left off, if at all, but I won't deny the books left a lasting impression, and that's all I really care about once the comotion surrounding the movies has settled.

On the acting front I can't say I'm really fond of Radcliffe, mind you, although he did manage quite well in Equus alongside Richard Griffiths. Apparently he had to swallow pills for the "pivotal" scenes, if you catch my banter.

Funny story about the Harry Potter movies. I went to see the third one with a couple of my friends back when it came out. Some guy in the audience farted really loud and the whole theater started laughing during the scene where they were (I guess) explaining how the time travel shit worked. End of funny story.

yukib1t said:

I was never a big fan of these movies. In fact, I only got about 1/4th of the way through the first one before I realized they weren't for me.

The first one sucked. They got better, though.

exp(x) said:

The first one sucked. They got better, though.

I liked Harris as Dumbledore in the first one better than Gambon. It's a damn shame he died.

I find they get worse. The third one was all cheap horror tricks. After that the books get so long they cut out most of the content to make the movie short. The sixth one left in all the crap about chasing girls and removed most of the stuff about Harry learning of the past, which would have been far more interesting.

I won't be seeing this in the theatre. I didn't see the previous one and I want to watch them together, more because I feel the need to watch a whole series when I've seen part of it than any anticipation of it.

Aliotroph? said:

The sixth one left in all the crap about chasing girls and removed most of the stuff about Harry learning of the past, which would have been far more interesting.

Read through this and then ask yourself why they would focus on the romance bullshit instead of the actual plot

Craigs said:

Read through this and then ask yourself why they would focus on the romance bullshit instead of the actual plot

They ruined 4 and 5 with it, why not 6?

Anyway, I'd probably go if I hadn't missed 7 part 1.

TheDarkArchon said:

To anyone who wants to see it: See it in 2D. The films 3D sucks as it's mostly too dark for it.

That doesn't surprise me.
Sadly no theater near where I live offers an un-dubbed version in 2D so I have to skip. :(

TheDarkArchon said:

To anyone who wants to see it: See it in 2D. The films 3D sucks as it's mostly too dark for it.

Most 3D movies do. The whole 3D aspect usually just ends up being a shitty gimmick that's only used two or three times. Hell, in Avatar the Last Airbender the 3D effects were pretty much just limited to subtitles. The only one I've seen so lately that looked good in 3D was Tron Legacy. Oh and I already wear glasses so 3D glasses don't exactly work too well for me.

Sounds like it's time to get 3D prescription glasses! I bet those would get expensive. :p

I can't see 3D films. I had about an 80% success rate with those olde ones that had the moving seats or 3D IMAX, as long as I could sit in the right side of the theatre. With new ones they basically don't work at all. This is made worse by my left eye being filled with silicone I can't see through. bah

Harry Potter romance fan fiction is a scary thing. Actually, most fan fiction is scary stuff. It's 99% shit.

I watched all seven previous Harry Potter films in a row and found them surprisingly enjoyable after ignoring them up until that point, believing them to be fluffy kids movies (the first one was, sort of, but then they got a little grittier). I'll watch Harry Potter 8 when it's on dvd. I want to know how the story arc concludes.

Not much else I can say. They're not movies I get excited about, but they're exceptionally well-produced and very enjoyable.

DoomUK said:

(the first one was, sort of, but then they got a little grittier).

There's a serious jump right after the first one. I remember the second one being pretty bloody and violent towards the end, especially compared to the first one.

Saw it, here's my spoilerful opinion. It was extremely fun to watch, it was beautiful, it was funny, and it was totally exciting. There were a lot of things I hated about it (listed below) but overall it is probably the best in the movie series.

Spoiler

1-Dumbledore backstory is thrown away completely. My #1 favorite scene in the entire series is when the crew meets Aberforth and he talks about Dumbledore. In the movie, they made him be like "Don't do the mission" and then Harry's like "we're gonna do it" and he's like "hmmm. ok".

2-My #2 favorite scene in the series was also changed in the movie. This is when Neville stands up to Voldemort, Voldemort tries to silence him, he resists, and he pulls out the sword and kills Nagini. The way it happened instead...was okay. Pretty good. Not nearly as good, however. In the books, I thought it was unbelievably spectacular, the moment when all hell broke loose again. In the movie, it was just cool.

3-As was mentioned, I preferred when everyone watched the Voldemort battle, the way it happened in the books. According to my friends, everyone was watching, they were just on the outskirts, not obvious. Maybe they're right. I didnt' see it.

4-Grey Lady. The scene was basically "you can't have the diadem" and then Harry says "please I want to destroy it" and then she's like "oh ok I'm a weirdo btw".

5-Deathly Hallows did not matter in the slightest, and were barely mentioned. In fact, I thought it was neat how in the books, he has all three hallows when he dies and comes back to life, giving another excuse for him to survive, because he is the master of death. In the movie, him surviving has no explanation whatsoever, in fact, they make him drop the stone before going to die, specifically preventing this explanation being possible.

6-King's Cross limbo sequence is just weird and not very useful. If they had the Dumbledore backstory it would have been fascinating.

Keep in mind that the movies are terrible comapred to the books. The books are masterpieces. The movies are pretty dumb. However, I will give some credit to the movies: Ron and Hermione are much better characterized in the films, while in the books they are not fleshed out very well at all in my opinion. (Too bad they didn't make Ginny interesting in either case).

all i care about, is apparently they are showing the trailer to the Dark Knight Rises before this movie.

fine...i watched the 1st one. I plan on watching them all eventually, but...eventually.
however, much sooner than that, i will be watching the trailer to the dark knight rises.

doom_marine666 said:

you gotta admit you must been a tiny bet upset when dumbledore died..

He died like a giant wimp. I guess wrist-straps for wands would probably have saved the entire wizarding world.

doom_marine666 said:

you gotta admit you must been a tiny bet upset when dumbledore died..

I just kinda laughed when he died. That whole cave scene for nothing. Dumbledore dies 45 minutes later. Whoop de doo

Who needs Harry Potter when you have Billy Bunter?

But anyway there will probably be a marathon of them on telly at Christmas, I'll just watch the lot then while stuffing quality street and baileys.

The books are better than the films I think, with one, maybe two exceptions.

First book and first film are pretty much perfect with eachother, and work well. Second film and book are mostly coherent with eachother. 3 I remember being a lot more gritty as a film than it felt as a book. 4 definitely showed how long the books were getting, and has a lot of cuts as a film as a consequence of this. 5 is barely recognisable as the book due to all of the cuts needed to be made. 6 was awful as a film, because it was basically an awkward teen romance that sort of forgot all the action and interest in the book.

7, on the other hand, is one that I always considered to be a crap book. It felt to me like it read like a film script - kind of lacking the picture setting, and focusing more on the action and events. The films made out of it were brilliant, IMO - possibly even as a result of the badly written book. I really enjoyed watching both parts.

Epyo said:

The books are masterpieces.

Really? I think that the books are competently written, for the most part, but sometimes clunk a bit around the edges. I regard some of the choices made as questionable. Some things work well, others less so. They are a good enough crafting of Rowling's vision and quite entertaining but IMO they stop a long way short of being masterpieces.

TheDarkArchon said:

I'm probably going to 3d and ignore your suggestion just for that. What if I manage to see it properly in 3d?

3D is always a waste. The best you'll get is dark scaled movie and Voldemorts dust flying at you when he kicks the bucket. That, and yu'll get Harry Potter themed 3D glasses. 3D got gay after (and During) Avatar.