Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Blastfrog

What was the first version of Doom you ever played?

Shareware from damaged floppy disks on a computer with no sound card.

To this day, I like to play Doom without music, though I can live without the PC speaker sound effects.

dos shareware floppy. Didn't get back to the other episodes until after Doom II came out and I finished that one.

V 1.1 Retail in 94 that one of my classmates installed on one of the classroom computers. I was amazed at the advanced graphics and initially completely misunderstood how it worked. Thinking that the creators had drawn ever angle individually. Effectively making it a 2d game in my eyes. Can't recall how long this impression stayed with me though. But up to that point I was basically unaware of the concept of 3d graphics.

I think I played the shareware back in '93, but my memory is hazy. I know I played the official from 1.666 floppies, and then later doom 2 from a copy my dad traded my uncle for. Also who we got captain comic 2 from! Damn I love me some DOS.

My roommate downloaded the shareware from a local BBS in Dec. 1993. He had a 386SX/16 though, so played it with the screen shrunk to its lowest setting. I couldn't even tell what was going on, so it didn't impress me. ;)

Not long after that, I saw it running on a 486 and it blew me away. Six months later I bought my own 486...

I'm also playing without music these days, even though my old machine had a PAS16 card. I really only like the OPL3 music, everything else seems wrong...

I played Doom 64 which I borrowed from a friend of mine somewhere between 1997 & 1999.

Doom registered v1.1 in late 1994, after reading "Doom this" and "Doom that" in magazines.

My first memory about doom is playing Map06 in coop with my brother. My father helped me with controls (I was like 4 years old ^_^). I think it was v1.666.

0.99 I remember the e2m6 song playing after the episode ended. Then I remembered various changes through 1.1 1.2 ect. This is why I am after the 1.1 files. I also played PWads back in 94 including 666.wad and Aliens TC.

If anyone is selling the 1.1 files then please let me know.

Edit: gosh that song didn't play at the ordering screen. What's going on with my memory?

The shareware was the first version I played, pretty nostalgic.
But the best versions I played where the psx and the xbox port (xbox and pc are almost the same but I like the controller more than keyboard)

shareware, about a week after it came out. IIDQD'd the whole thing.

On the PC? Shareware version 1.8 for Doom and Doom 2 1.666 in 1995.

Console and experiencing the rest of the game? SNES Doom. Same applies to the date, around 1995.

XBLA Doom. I played Hexen as a kid and always was interested by what I'd heard and seen of Doom, but never enough to actually try and get the game. So when I finally got proper internet in 2007, not knowing about the shareware episode, I went to where I knew I could play it free, the XBLA demo.

I didn't buy the game for PC until I watched a ZDaemon co-op video and watching a bunch of players face off against a bunch of Cyberdemons was the most amazing thing I'd ever seen.

edit: Doomhuntress stop copying my words before I post them

PSX Doom. 1995 I think it was. I didn't have a PC at the time but when I bought one I got Final Doom (PC, not PSX) right away.

It was another 7 years before I bought PC UDoom/Doom 2, even though I hacked on a couple of source ports during that time.