Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Alphawolf

What format do you play Doom? [which exe/port]

Doomsfall said:

Mostly skulltag but also gzdoom when I want to play the psxdoomtc.

I hope you dont use respawn items

Memfis said:

Use TNTCOMP cheat.

So, does this cause PrBoom+ to behave the same as Doom.exe or Chocodoom? Or is it just an approximation? Also, just curious, can TNTCOMP be bound to a key? Thanks. :)

Processingcontrol said:

What if I don't feel like learning how to use command line parameters in Windows Vista?

What if I don't feel like using my mouse to start the game? What if I don't want to plug my monitor in? Using command line arguments is extremely easy, there is no reason not to learn how to do it (i.e right click > properties) :S

Is it safe to say you could develop a Boom WAD solely by testing it on Zdoom with Boom Compatibility settings?

If for some crazy reason you had to stop using Prboom+

I'm pretty sure you'd still be liable to run into problems with the behaviour of moving floors/ceilings, and with zero-tagged line triggers, among other things.

Mithran Denizen said:

I'm pretty sure you'd still be liable to run into problems with the behaviour of moving floors/ceilings, and with zero-tagged line triggers, among other things.

How about Eternity? I've just downloaded it and with the frontend it's the best Sourceport i've seen yet

I think you're asking for trouble if you use a different port than what you claim your target to be. I've seen a lot of "vanilla" maps that had texture bugs, tutti-fruti, etc. all because they used an advanced port that hides those problems. At the very least, you should test extensively with the target port, even if you use another one while making the map.

entryway said:

waded is slow

Change your dosbox cycles setting. By default, non protected mode prorgrams are run at cycles=3000, roughly equivalent to a 4-5mhz 486. Doom and whatnot aren't affected by this because they're protected mode; dosbox detects this and gives them more cycles.

natt said:

Change your dosbox cycles setting. By default, non protected mode prorgrams are run at cycles=3000, roughly equivalent to a 4-5mhz 486. Doom and whatnot aren't affected by this because they're protected mode; dosbox detects this and gives them more cycles.

Yeah, 'max' is much better that 'auto' and waded loads almost immediately.

Alphawolf said:
Zdoom? Boom? Vanilla? Chocolate?

I tend to use vanilla to play single player, deathmatch and coop. I use the Doom+ patch so limits are raised (most "limit-removing" levels work with it.) Occasionally, I use PrBoom for vanilla multiplayer, if the two computers involved can't connect or run vanilla itself. I also use ZDaemon to play CTF on public servers.

entryway said:
cmd is not something people should use to run ports and vanilla :)

I use the DOS console for vanilla because editing a command line with doskey is better than editing the command line on a shortcut or batch file. In addition, I made a few batch files that shorten what I have to type to the minimal input needed. An example of what I could type:

15 2m 0 a v 5845av01

• That plays demo 5845av01.lmp (in a zip with the same name from subdir 1\a\av or rezipping it with the date of its latest file and moving it there if it was in my downloads folder)
  • Using the Doom2 v1.9 engine (2m) and applying a DEH patch and also possibly a binary patch (such as for AV's par times) if they are in the WAD zip.
  • If there's no DeHackEd patch in the WAD zip, it uses a generic one that clears IWAD level names and intermission texts.
  • The 0 is the zip extension of the WAD, in case I have many WADs with the same name (av.wad is in a w\a\av.0 zip file.)
  • Optional WADs, such as the movie fix or 1st release levels WADs for AV, can be added right after the demo name.
  • The batch also adds a wilv.wad that blanks CWILV or WILV lumps to "level 1" and so on, loaded before the PWAD, so that the PWAD will overwrite it if it changes these lumps.
The 15.bat name means 1 (the dir with PWAD demos) plus 5 (the number of input variables, so I remember.) The recording batch is r6.bat, to name another.

The recording batch also automatically saves and zips the demo recorded in the corresponding folder, and I've got mutliplayer variants that either let you choose the player viewpoint (playback) or select the player color (recording).

All this took some time to set up, but now everything is easier to organize and use than before.