Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

This is a relatively short map but it's pretty good. It runs in GZDOOM or Skulltag (I think it works in Skulltag anyway). The map is called "Surge", it replaces MAP01 of Doom II and it has a few secrets, see if you can find them!

Since I'm not very good at constant mapping, I made a map plan whilst I was at school so I could basically draw the whole thing and then move it in to Doom Builder and tweak some things. It worked so I might use this process instead of trying to do it in one go.

DOWNLOAD: http://filesmelt.com/dl/massmaps.wad

Yeah, I was stuck for another texture that would go well up there. Maybe the silver one?
Also, you're a bit low on health :p.

Odd-o-matic said:

Yeah, I was stuck for another texture that would go well up there. Maybe the silver one?
Also, you're a bit low on health :p.

It's not that It doesn't go well up there, it's just because it's misaligned,

and yep, you weren't too kind on me :(

Oh well...

It's only a tiny little bug.

I'm currently making the second map, I've already drawn the plan, I'm about 20% into it now...

Just played it on UV. Actually made it in my first attempt without any problems. But you really need to consider placing some more health in the map, or at least armor. You had a berserk, but that was in a secret area so it doesn't count as provided health :P Other than that, it was a good challenge! I would have made the radiation suite trap unavoidable cause that is a cool fight.

The detail was almost none-existent, but thats ok for a map like this. The outdoor area was pretty horrible cause one of the lower walls (the one with the bug) made the main building clip, ruining the illusion of the main buildings big size.

I had a fun time playing your map. 3/5

I went back to that first map and yeah, the bug is kinda ugly. I'm going to fix it. Also, with regards to the blue light flat on the platform with the imps, I come up with a solution to make it better looking.

Just about finished building the second map, soon onto the thing placement. It is quite big (almost completely outside), and as such the is more to explore and less of a strict guidance on where you're allowed to go.

I've got an update!

Here's the next version. The light flats on MAP01 have been fixed.

Now there's also MAP02: Outlet. This is a big map. It can be played from Pistol start as well which provides quite a challenge, but can be done. There's a lot more health on here, but there's more enimies as well. Have fun with it.
http://filesmelt.com/dl/massmaps1.wad

I haven't played this yet, but you have my respect for being able to whip maps out so fast. It can take me months to finish a very basic level.

I can tell that your mapping skill is already improving just judging by your third map. I would suggest that on top of focusing on wall detail and height variation (which you seem to understand pretty well so far!), pay attention to varying light levels. You'll find that you can make a bland room into a highly atmospheric one just by using simple light gradients.

As for the scattered use of slopes, I personally would not have opted to include those because the gameplay is still very vanilla with or without them. They don't really seem to add much to the levels themselves and I think that unless you decide to make these levels more zdoom focused, it would be a better idea to keep these maps as vanilla as possible.

Otherwise, these maps are actually pretty fun and I'm impressed with your ability to create them so quickly. Keep going!