Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Blastfrog

Rambling about Rambo

So, I think that Rambo 3 felt out of place from the previous two films. The original 2 films weren't that much of political commentary at all, whereas the third one kinda seemed like it. You know, the whole soviets invading the middle east crap.

Rambo 4 felt even more out of place, because it felt more like a documentary for some reason. It appears to be a reboot of 3, to make up for how crappy it was. I mean, it has pretty much the same plot. Rambo is living peacefully in some warzone, and he then is called to duty. He then gets entangled in some sort of 2 sided local conflict, and emerges victorious. But it feels even more out of place, because it lacks the Colonel.

Wait, there was a story? I don't remember any of that, just that he kicks a lot of asses. Then again, the same happened with some Chuck Norris and Jean Claude Van Damme movies.

Sodaholic said:

The original 2 films weren't that much of political commentary at all

What. I haven't seen the second one in probably a decade at least so I don't remember it much, but the entire idea behind First Blood was how shitty Vietnam vets were treated when they came home, and the psychological effects the war had on them. Sure, there was a lot of ass kicking, but that was the heart of it.

I don't think I ever saw the third one. Rambo 4 was pretty fucking awesome, and I don't care what you say.

Funny part is, in the book First Blood,

Spoiler

John Rambo dies in the end.

So the fact that there are sequels at all is pretty silly.

Nomad said:

Rambo 4 was pretty fucking awesome, and I don't care what you say.

Nomad said:

I don't think I ever saw the third one. Rambo 4 was pretty fucking awesome, and I don't care what you say.

Hmmm, which one was 4 again? Is that the newest one which was made this last century? That one was so fucking intense and mindblowingly awesome. Best action film I've seen in a long time.

Nomad said:

What. I haven't seen the second one in probably a decade at least so I don't remember it much, but the entire idea behind First Blood was how shitty Vietnam vets were treated when they came home, and the psychological effects the war had on them.

I was talking about the movies, those mostly focused on action, not story. I mean, really, the movie version of First Blood is very watered down compared to the book. They establish who was good and bad, which was kept deliberately ambiguous in the book. That, and Rambo is alive at the end of the movie instead of dead. Also, the police chief survives in the movie as well.

Both have very different tones and approaches to things.

kristus said:

Wasn't he living peacfully in a warzone in 2 as well?

No, he was in prison.

They focused on different things, yes, but it was still the same idea behind both. :P

kristus said:

Wasn't he living peacfully in a warzone in 2 as well?

No that was part 3.

Sodaholic said:

Rambo 4 felt even more out of place, because it felt more like a documentary for some reason. It appears to be a reboot of 3, to make up for how crappy it was. I mean, it has pretty much the same plot. Rambo is living peacefully in some warzone, and he then is called to duty. He then gets entangled in some sort of 2 sided local conflict, and emerges victorious. But it feels even more out of place, because it lacks the Colonel.

Rambo 4 took place in Burma (now called Myanmar) in which there is a civil war currently going on. The Burmese military is guilty of an incredible amount of crimes against humanity. Astonishingly, the movie only offers a glimpse into the kind of violence happening in Burma every day.

The colonel only appears in a flashback because the actor playing him is dead. I'm not sure exactly what else you're expecting from the series, since the first movie is really the only one based on the book.