Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
General Rainbow Bacon

Sudden Death (1995 movie) Doom reference

So I was just watching this movie on Cinemax and in one of the later scenes (last 15 minutes or so) I noticed one of the terrorists was playing Doom. I can't find a clip on youtube though. If any of you own the movie, check it out.

Some doctors play Doom in an episode of "ER," and a Doom arcade machine can be seen in 1998's "Grosse Point Blank."

that silly movie P.U.N.K.S. had a scene where the main character's father shows Doom to him and his friend at work. If I remember right, he's playing on MAP01 and after shooting a couple zombiemen his dad goes "hey you're pretty good at this!"

The best part about every time Doom shows up a movie/TV show/whatever, there's always something that spoils the fact that the actors aren't really playing it and the writers have no clue what they're writing about it. ;)

Xaser said:

The best part about every time Doom shows up a movie/TV show/whatever, there's always something that spoils the fact that the actors aren't really playing it and the writers have no clue what they're writing about it. ;)

Every time I see someone playing a game in a tv show or movie, they're spastically hitting every button on the controller as though their career depended on it.

Here's something I bet very few of you have seen. Now, I unfortunately don't recall what product was being advertised, but I saw this commercial several times and it struck me as very weird every time. Basically, there's a clip of a kid mashing buttons on an N64 controller, yet he's clearly playing Chex Quest. That would have been pretty fun had it actually been ported to the N64!

kmxexii said:

Every time I see someone playing a game in a tv show or movie, they're spastically hitting every button on the controller as though their career depended on it.

What I don't get is this:

Actors will go to great -sometimes life-threatening- lengths to "understand" their characters. Deniro trained and heavily altered his diet for Raging Bull, Christian Bale is infamous for gaining/losing weight for nearly every role he does, Mickey Rourke visited a Russian prison at length for Iron Man 2, etc. Yet, actors can't play a few videogames for 10 minutes in order to not look like a total spaz behind the controller?

As a corollary, why is it that some shows/films get technical and scientific details of whatever down to the smallest level, yet fuck up things like mismatched controllers or perpetual 8-bit SFX?

Mr. Freeze said:

What I don't get is this:

Actors will go to great -sometimes life-threatening- lengths to "understand" their characters. Deniro trained and heavily altered his diet for Raging Bull, Christian Bale is infamous for gaining/losing weight for nearly every role he does, Mickey Rourke visited a Russian prison at length for Iron Man 2, etc. Yet, actors can't play a few videogames for 10 minutes in order to not look like a total spaz behind the controller?

As a corollary, why is it that some shows/films get technical and scientific details of whatever down to the smallest level, yet fuck up things like mismatched controllers or perpetual 8-bit SFX?

I wonder about that, too. Why do computers still make silly 70s era noises in modern TV shows and movies? Maybe the directors responsible for such media are just completely un-hip and have no idea how to properly depict computers and video games. That, or they think the audience will relate if they hear "familiar" sounds.

Mr. Freeze said:

get technical and scientific details of whatever down to the smallest level

wut?

GoatLord said:

That, or they think the audience will relate if they hear "familiar" sounds.

This. Producers haven't wised up to the fact that people aren't entirely clueless about video games anymore.

Mr. Freeze said:

You could say copyright issues, but how does that let them use the actual product in recording?

On another note, i've seen an episode of roseanne where john goodman was playing an SNES, with super mario world sound effects included.

Why can't more shows do this?

That awful Congo movie from 1995 had a small scene towards the beginning of one of the scientists playing Doom. It's been so long since I saw it but I think it was E1M1. I have no desire to watch the pile of crap again to confirm what map was featured.

Also, on a most obscure note I saw Quake 2 being played in one episode of a UK drama series called Peak Practice. My parents were watching it at the time and I happened to walk in the room just as that scene was on. But now I'm getting far too off-topicy.

Mr. Freeze said:

why is it that some shows/films get technical and scientific details of whatever down to the smallest level

Care to name one of these shows/films? :p

There should have been a scene in the Doom movie where someone played Super Turkey Puncher. Or a Super Turkey Puncher movie in which someone plays Doom.