Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
neubejiita

Ultimate Doom in dosbox with Doom2.exe v1.9?

Hello there.

I have Doom2.exe v1.9 and I want to run the Ultimate Doom IWAD with it, but it will only detect three episodes, even though it contains 4.

I tried naming it udoom.wad & doomu.wad and this did not work, it said Game Mode Indeterminate.

Is there a trick to this, or do I need the Ultimate Doom *.exe?

Thanks in advance.

neubejiita said:

Is there a trick to this, or do I need the Ultimate Doom *.exe?

That. You can also use the Shareware v1.9 doom.exe.

GreyGhost said:

If that doesn't work (I suspect it won't) apply this upgrade patch. Doesn't matter if you already have the Ultimate Doom IWAD, it'll ignore that and patch the other files. Here's the instructions - all two lines of them.

That worked, thank you. Now I have v1.9 Udoom exe! I used the v1.9 Doom2.exe re-named to doom.exe, the Shareware v1.9 doom.exe would not work.

That's good that you worked out the problem, though I was going to suggest either using a source port or the latest version of DosBox, which actually has very good support for 2.5d games. I've been able to run Duke Nukem 3D, Blood, Shadow Warrior, Blake Stone and Redneck Rampage on the latest DosBox.

^
Don't you find that Doom runs slow? I've tried a few times but it has never ran smoothly for me.

Average said:

^
Don't you find that Doom runs slow? I've tried a few times but it has never ran smoothly for me.

The newest version of DosBox runs 2.5d games very well. The old ones struggled, but the newest one seems to emulate machines as high as an the earliest Pentiums or something. I've been able to run those kinds of games very smoothly!

Average said:

^

Try upping the cycles to 15000 with F12.

I've always found that leaving cycles on auto did the job perfectly for Doom. (and most other games I've tried) There's no lag and it keeps the full 35 FPS during the entire run.

I have an i3 2GiB of RAM and Running Dosbox on Linux, it runs Doom just as well as the DOS machine I first played it on. With default settings, I even got the music working. This is version 0.74.

Thanks for your help, I can put the Ultimate Doom.exe up if anyone wants to download it.