Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
flubbernugget

Help with Clashing Textures

Recommended Posts

I am trying to map an abstract representation of the outside to some building. I made a very basic map design, and the one thing I quickly noticed was how badly my texture decisions always clashed with each other.



I can't seem to figure out what makes different textures look good together and what makes other textures clash, are there any general rules I can follow? What would fix this particular scene?

Share this post


Link to post
Marnetmar said:

A little rule I have for texturing is to use a lot of contrast between dark textures and light textures.

Or you can embrace clashing textures


WOW at that link, I remember telling you Marnetmar you were the best goddam texturer I ever saw around these parts.

flubbernugget: There's a RULE I worked out that always works:

Make a room - choose a wall texture - if the wall texture has green and bits of brown in, you can choose a flat that's all brown, all green, has green in or has brown in.

If the wall texture is just brown, choose a flat that's either all brown or has brown in.

Those colours are examples, apply the same rule to any other textures with their corresponding colours.

Try that and get back to me.

Share this post


Link to post

Sounds like a good idea, I'll try it. Should I apply this to alternating wall textures as well, like the stone that clashes with the marble?

Share this post


Link to post
phobosdeimos1 said:

WOW at that link, I remember telling you Marnetmar you were the best goddam texturer I ever saw around these parts.


Aww thanks :3

Share this post


Link to post
flubbernugget said:

Sounds like a good idea, I'll try it. Should I apply this to alternating wall textures as well, like the stone that clashes with the marble?


I don't get what you mean, but just apply the rule to any flat touching the texture

Share this post


Link to post

I'm guessing the leftmost wall should be changed because of how the texture "wraps" around the wall, but why change it on the upper walkway?

Share this post


Link to post

If you did that, it would separate the two areas. You could align the silver STARTAN on the right side properly.

Share this post


Link to post





Had to mess with some ceiling heights to fix alignment issues with the texture. Any ideas for a better texture than the metal texture above the door? Should I look for PWAD textures? (I've had no luck trying to create them myself before)

Share this post


Link to post

First I'd suggest raising it so the whole UAC door texture is shown. I don't think the texture looks bad...you might want to adjust the alignment once you raise it and put the light on the bottom. Unpegging it might do just that but I'm a little hungover and can't think straight...

For the outside portion, I'd recommend changing the shape of the brown wall and making it more curvy.

Share this post


Link to post

I've found that CEMENT is a borderline impossible texture to use appropriately with other textures. Many of my first maps were almost all brown because there are a ton of brown textures. I later found that using low lighting can make a lot of textures that wouldn't normally look good together look great, it also allows you to practice making things like light gradients that can make garbage maps look awesome.

Share this post


Link to post
flubbernugget said:

Had to mess with some ceiling heights to fix alignment issues with the texture. Any ideas for a better texture than the metal texture above the door? Should I look for PWAD textures? (I've had no luck trying to create them myself before)


As a general rule, don't mix gray textures and brown textures. It is a sure way to make a map look very nooby and amateurish. However there are exceptions to this rule...

http://mekworx.phenomer.net/mekastuff/pics/screenshots/vela%20pax/Screenshot_Doom_20100315_232033.png

(Mek, hope you don't mind that I have borrowed this pic off your Vela Pax thread.)

But seriously flubber, I think it will help heaps to intentionally limit your texture choices. Decide to do a map that is all gray, or all brown, or even all green, and see what comes out.

In the first pic, that outdoor ceiling thing looks too flimsy. It needs to be thicker, to have more solidity to it.

Share this post


Link to post
KiiiYiiiKiiiA said:

Decide to do a map that is all gray, or all brown, or even all green, and see what comes out.

Don't do this.

Share this post


Link to post

Imo the stone and cement work well together. Try to stick to a few textures that will be used for the whole map. And use other textures in smaller numbers alongside them. The idea is to give your map the looks as if the whole map is one structure, and not that every room uses a different set of textures. Doing so will make your map look like its made up from several parts of unfinshed maps.

Share this post


Link to post
dutch devil said:

Imo the stone and cement work well together. Try to stick to a few textures that will be used for the whole map. And use other textures in smaller numbers alongside them. The idea is to give your map the looks as if the whole map is one structure, and not that every room uses a different set of textures. Doing so will make your map look like its made up from several parts of unfinshed maps.

I agree with this. Clashes is not ideal but contrast is. You want to choose textures that compliment one another. For example, stone textures with metal and wood, this always look good. It's a matter of experimenting what textures goes well with another, and what doesn't. Don't limit yourself. Like Dutch Devil said, choose a main texture to start with, the theme you wish to make, and then choose textures to compliment it, and if appropriate, make certain rooms have a different main texturing palette (basically a different-ish theme), but somehow doesn't clash too much with the former main texture. Hope this makes sense. :3

And cement, if I know the flat, is awesome. Terrific for both bordering and large flat areas.

Share this post


Link to post
Joshy said:

And cement, if I know the flat, is awesome. Terrific for both bordering and large flat areas.

Cement is the set of textures with weird pasty-white ramshackle paneling that are all over the place in Doom2 MAP10 and E2M2's crate maze. Probably not the ones you're thinking of. :P

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×