Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
dsm

Ingame art - question

Hello everyone who stumbled across this thread and felt like checkin' it out.

Does anyone know how to "tamper" with the ingame art of Doom?

I would like to know how to change stuff like enemy/weapon sprites and replace them with your own art as well as making the actual art for it.
Does it require a specific program to make your own sprites for Doom?

That's about it. And it kind of likes to save stuff in basic formats, it's getting on a bit now.

Esco is finding this out the hard way as he compiles his latest batch of sounds.

Remember him? Hehehehe..

Yeah, I remember esco, how could I forget him?
/Me points at "most popular" thread

That's about it. And it kind of likes to save stuff in basic formats, it's getting on a bit now.

Esco is finding this out the hard way as he compiles his latest batch of sounds.

Remember him? Hehehehe..

I don't want to :P

I tried to add new textures from pictures with wintex but the results weren't too good.

I tried to add new textures from pictures with wintex but the results weren't too good.

Well, the pictures have to be in standard resolution and 256-color format before you can import them, regardless of program.

Heh, I remember playing a Heretic WAD called Nitemare Isle. It replaced the third episode, and it had the Fighter's and Mage's weapons from HeXen put in to replace the Dragon's Claw, Phoenix Rod, Staff, etc. Some of the items (like the Quartz Flask) were different colors, as were the bad guys. The Disciples looked particularly cool, and they sounded even better when they were killed.

Well, the pictures have to be in standard resolution and 256-color format before you can import them, regardless of program.

Forgive my ignorance, but what is the standard resolution?

Forgive my ignorance, but what is the standard resolution?

It depends on what pictures you want to change: The title screen, for example, is 320 x 200. The enemy and weapon sprites vary depending on what you are replacing.

The most important thing that you need to know is that the pictures have to be 8 bit, and you have to convert them to the doom palette, because if you don't they come out horrible in the game!!

To mess aroound with this stuff you will need Wintex and some kind of graphics program like Paint shop pro.

Groovy?

Hmm, I just read a bit of the help file for wintex and here is something I didn't like:

Secondly, it is NOT possible to add completely new sprites to DOOM or DOOM2, you can only change existing sprites. (With dehacked you can change the name of sprites, but not create entirely new sprites. Well, not if you're new to this at least.)

So this means that I can't make new sprites for the game or a modification?
That sucks, because I want to learn how to put new sprites into Doom.
[edit]what I want to do is replace, or modify weapon sprites in the game[/edit]

Hmm, I just read a bit of the help file for wintex and here is something I didn't like:

Secondly, it is NOT possible to add completely new sprites to DOOM or DOOM2, you can only change existing sprites. (With dehacked you can change the name of sprites, but not create entirely new sprites. Well, not if you're new to this at least.)

So this means that I can't make new sprites for the game or a modification?
That sucks, because I want to learn how to put new sprites into Doom.
[edit]what I want to do is replace, or modify weapon sprites in the game[/edit]

You can in source ports, just not in the original. And you can in the original, but only if you replace every single sprite in the game.

So is there anything special I need to know about how to change sprites in source ports?

It depends on what pictures you want to change: The title screen, for example, is 320 x 200

The problem was, that when i sized down the pictures, they got messed up. I chose "edit entry" with wintex (opens paint), opened the picture i wanted to add, and copied it onto the temp-file. Maybe i should learn to use DeepSea's texture editor.

I chose "edit entry" with wintex (opens paint), opened the picture i wanted to add, and copied it onto the temp-file.

Yep, the problem you have here is that you should try never to use "edit entry" with wintex. You should get everything ready outside of wintex(using "save entry to file" to extract what you're gonna change), then do what you want to do with a decent graphics program(not paint.exe), and finally use "load entry from file" to put it back in the wad.

BTW, to use totally new sprites the best source port is EDGE, because Zdoom, for example, won't let you (unless you start robbing a frame here, a frame there with dehacked patches: very messy)

Thank you for your attention :-)