Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
hardcore_gamer

I am looking for something to play, any recommendations?

I am bored out of my skull and want something to play.

Can you recommend me any good WADS? I am looking for something that looks and feels "classic" rather then modern and isn't too hard without being too easy. Any suggestions?

You should check out some of the DTWID levels, that's as classic as it gets. If you play any levels I worked on, I'd only play my E1M2 map and Dark Passage which I worked on with Phobosdeimos1 and Mr. Chris. The rest of my DTWID maps are utter crap.

^Dark Passage has pretty decent difficulty as well. It goes a bit easy on you at first but things start to get real in a short amount of time.

Classic Episode (class_ep.wad). It's a bit harder than original Doom, but not to the extent as AV, Plutonia, etc.

DeathevokatioN said:

DTWID maps mostly seem too easy and boring to me, but I guess if Phobosdeimos1 worked on one, the gameplay there could be pretty cool.

Thanks man that's really sweet,

If you're bored hardcore_gamer, go to the last page of DTWID and play the map I just posted, i'd like some feedback

DeathevokatioN said:

DTWID maps mostly seem too easy and boring to me, but I guess if Phobosdeimos1 worked on one, the gameplay there could be pretty cool.

The intent of that project is to resemble what ID did, which isn't particularly hard. So if you find easier maps boring, maybe it's just not the project for you.

I'd recommend (that hasn't already been mentioned):

E1 Style:
-Fava Beans
-CH Retro Episode
-Classic Episode 2 - Singularity Complex
-Simply Phobos (don't miss E2M9, what a nice bonus treat! - it's E3/E4 style though)
-Once Again - Sillouhettes of Phobos (has bonus E4M1 that is E4 style)
-Knee-Deep in the Undead
-Phobos Massacre
-Double Impact

E2 Style:
-Rip it, Tear it, Smash it!
-Deimos Deja Vu
-Foodle's E2 Replacment (f_ep2)

E3 Style:
-Inferno (by Chris Lutz, there's probably other wads with this name as well)

E4 Style:
-Death Tormention series (1 through 3 - each has overall larger and more complex maps than the prequel, E4M6 in DT1 is strangely E2 style)
-Crusades

Multiple/all episodes styles:
-The Ultimate NMD (this one should be particularly good for you, almost a "spriritual" precursor to DTWID)
-2002 A Doom Odyssey (though some maps after E1 are out of style)
-High/Low 1 through 4 (each is in the style of the corresponding episode)
-Base Ganymede Eps 1 and 2

These are at least some of the ones I can think of (for Doom I/UDoom) that have more than one map.

Snakes said:

Let's not forget Dawn of the Dead and Back to Basics on that list.

Nice catches, I missed those. Both would get my recommendation easily.

Death Tormination - Large and complex, but fun
2002 A Doom Odyssey - Harder than Ultimate Doom, but the design is nice and very fun to play with
Fava Beans
Needs more detail
Knee-Deep in the Undead - Remake of original Knee-Deep
Simply Phobos - Sillouhettes of Phobos
Darkhell - Eric Baker got nice runs here, nice E2 style maps
Barrel.wad - Barrels O' Fun in E1M1
Community Chest Series - Not too hard and not too easy, contains a lot of nice maps. blob1024 got some nice runs here.
Whispers of Satan - Very nice design in most maps, the hellish maps are very fun.
Twlight Zone 1 & 2 - Easy wads
Memento Mori 1& 2
Alien Vendetta - Fan of many doomers, after map20 it's monsters slaughters in most maps
1monster - 1 monster in each map
etc.

Snakes said:

Let's not forget Dawn of the Dead and Back to Basics on that list.

Dawn of the Dead is my all time favorite E1 Episode. I'm doing some testing for the sequel. :)

I've been playing through Alien Vendetta for the first time, and I'd have to say that it's pretty fantastic. It's a good blend of classic gameplay and lots of fast-paced action. The only problem is that it turns into a slaughter-fest towards the end, so if that's not your kind of thing you might want to stay away.

Do you want a quick action or a long adventure?

I like the second one, and Alien Vendetta, Deus Vult II, Super Sonic Doom and Community Chest 3 are perfect for this aim.

I always mention it in these kind of threads, but Doom 64 Absolution is a must-play. Even if the endless techbase levels are a tad irritating..

DeathevokatioN said:

Let me guess, you played them on UV?