Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Alphawolf

What monsters take priority?

In a room full of shotgun guys and chaingunners. Or a room with revenants and arachnotrons. Who do you aim to gun down first??

Generally I go for Pain Elemental first, Archvile second, Shotgun Guys & Chaingunners next and the rest are very situational to me relying heavily on surrounding architecture, distance and placement of surrounding monsters.

IMO Chaingunners are priority over most monsters, I associate Revenants and Arch-Viles to be second priority along with Pain Elementals. Then the rest (except for the Mastermind) aren't as much of a threat to me.

But really, It all comes down to the shape of the room or size of the area. Alot of times that will determine how things play out.

Archvile first, pain elemental second, chaingunners, everybody else and at the end cyberdemon

I will kill archvile first, because archvile may brings monsters back to life and easily waste my ammo. Second pain elemental, this is to prevent them keep spawning lost souls.

As for room full of shotgun guys and chaingunners or a room with revenants and arachnotrons, it depends. But usually I will led them infighting. But I can say shotgun guys, chaingunners and reveants are monsters which I found it annoying.

Usually archviles, especially if they are in a position where they can resurrect hitscan zombies (or ammo-eating monsters like barons & mancubuses) or if there are multiple archviles (because its hard to dodge attacks from 2 or more at once.)

If there is just one archvile on a pillar or ledge, I go for the zombies first (because unlike the archvile you have no chance to find cover when they start attacking.)

If there are pain elementals, I would probably avoid the level in the first place.

Chaingunners over shotgunners due to their rapid fire and revenants due to the homing missiles. Pain elementals before any of them to keep them from spawning lost souls.

Get other monsters between me and chaingunner/arachnotron. Wait for shitstorm to start, and backup behind closed door, or around hard cover.

But if there's a revenant, he takes priority...

In order from highest priority to least

Shotgun Guys
Chaingun Guys
Archviles
Barrels
Pain Elemental
Lost Souls
Spectres/Demons
Arachnatrons
Revenants
Mancubi
Zombiemen
Imps
Cacodemons
Hell Knights
Hell Barons

Cyberdemons and Spider Masterminds typically vary in priority depending on what monsters are available in the room to infight with it. Also priority differs depending on the size of the room and which monsters are closest.

I try to hit Chaingunners first and then go for Arch-Viles. After that PE's and Lost Souls. Shotgunguy's are dangerous after that. If there's a Cyberdemon or Spider of any kind I'll take them after the other guys are out.

Marnetmar said:

Whichever one's the biggest pain in the ass.

Ah, so your list looks like mine.

Depends on the map. Hitscanners and pain elementals first. Then archviles followed by mancs and revenants. All the slow projectile monsters go last. It really depends a lot on the map. As in, that is the main determining factor.

hex11 said:

Get other monsters between me and chaingunner/arachnotron. Wait for shitstorm to start, and backup behind closed door, or around hard cover.

This. It always depends on the situation, and when there are good opportunities to provoce infighting I use them. In that case there is no priority list, just different opportunities.

Depends on the situation. Closed rooms are different than open spaces, and potential infighting is different than dealing with a same-monster, non-infighting horde.

If in a closed, crowded room and there is an AV in the mix, I go for that one first, as it can target me specifically even behind the crowd. If there are revenants in there, it depends on whether I can keep a safe distance (or trigger their melee avoidant behavior without retaliation). If it's only one or two of them, they are the next highest priority.

Chaingunners are also a priority in close spaces, especially if there aren't other enemies between me and them. In open spaces, things change a bit. Chaingunners aren't much of a threat if the distance increases, and revenant missiles have a long travel time. AVs on open spaces are a threat, though. If there's no cover, depending on the distance I may exploit their max. range limit or try to close in and bombard them with all I got ASAP.